• Jorginho
    • Mount
    • Pulisic
    • Hudson-Odoi
    • Giroud
    • Havertz (sub)
    • Werner (sub)

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

We put Werner upfront late on in the game but what did we do? Passed the ball backwards, sideways and then try to deliver high crosses into the box. There were at least 2 such crosses - one from Chilwell in the 74th minute and another one from Azpi 5 minutes later. Fucking clueless. Nobody even took risks to play forward passes or those vertical passes. Fucking clueless football!

We are cross FC 

Just now, Vesper said:

unbelievable that we are the only team other than BURNLEY who basically never changes formation/style of play

keep fucking about we will start being closer to Burnley that the top 4

I think we definitely should be able to pull off a decent 4-4-2 as well as a diamond with the players we have if required.

a 2 striker system with Giroud and Werner would give all those old-fashioned centre back pairings a lot to think.

Not sure if Pochettino and his eternal 4-2-3-1 are the way to go tho. Our problems go way deeper than Lampard. We have amassed a squad without real character and it is not fair demand this of the new arrivals. The problem is in the mismanagement of the squad by the board that basically begun after Carlo had the old guard running with the right football. We then had changing managers with very different styles and bought a ton of terrible players for their styles and repeated this like 10 times. We have not really had an identity since and have tried to build a new one from scratch every time.

I do not think Lampard is a goner yet. Not because he deserves more time but bc he is someone who knows the club and knows how to get along with the hierachy. He will get until the leicester game i think.

What puzzles me most is how good we have looked during our unbeaten run. not every game but there were some where we were swaggering around like prime barcelona and dissected teams at will with our passing. maybe the payers need a bit mor efreedom or maybe teams have found us out and thus we have returned to the cross to giroud route...but i refuse to believe it is all been just ziyech's injury.

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I think we definitely should be able to pull off a decent 4-4-2 as well as a diamond with the players we have if required.

a 2 striker system with Giroud and Werner would give all those old-fashioned centre back pairings a lot to think.

Not sure if Pochettino and his eternal 4-2-3-1 are the way to go tho. Our problems go way deeper than Lampard. We have amassed a squad without real character and it is not fair demand this of the new arrivals. The problem is in the mismanagement of the squad by the board that basically begun after Carlo had the old guard running with the right football. We then had changing managers with very different styles and bought a ton of terrible players for their styles and repeated this like 10 times. We have not really had an identity since and have tried to build a new one from scratch every time.

I do not think Lampard is a goner yet. Not because he deserves more time but bc he is someone who knows the club and knows how to get along with the hierachy. He will get until the leicester game i think.

What puzzles me most is how good we have looked during our unbeaten run. not every game but there were some where we were swaggering around like prime barcelona and dissected teams at will with our passing. maybe the payers need a bit mor efreedom or maybe teams have found us out and thus we have returned to the cross to giroud route...but i refuse to believe it is all been just ziyech's injury.

4 1 3 2

or

4 3 1 2

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Goals aside, Lampard has got tactical problems with the players. Whenever we play Werner out wide in this 4-3-3, he doesn't offer anything going forward - e.g. creating chances - and when we play Giroud upfront, he doesn't offer anything either, barely involved in the game. Both players don't offer much apart from trying to get at the end of chances. 

And that's without even going into Lampard's use of Werner in this winger role...

Werner needs to be fed quick passes through the channels. I've seen a lot of games (even where he plays on the wing) where he stands on the shoulder of his defender waiting for that through-ball to come. Unfortunately the supporting players don't have either the vision or the passing range to find him in these situations. He usually gets fed the ball in situations when there are defenders in front of him, and he has to make something of it, and that makes him much less useful.

Giroud would be more useful (other than heading crosses) if players like Mount/Pulisic linked up with him a lot more in the opponents box. That aspect of our play was a little better today I felt. Instead of lazily going to the wide area first time and whipping in the cross (like against Everton/Wolves), we tried to concentrate play in the middle moving the Villa defenders around, before sending it out wide. That's how the Chillwell goal came about

Just now, Blue Armour said:

Werner needs to be fed quick passes through the channels. I've seen a lot of games (even where he plays on the wing) where he stands on the shoulder of his defender waiting for that through-ball to come. Unfortunately the supporting players don't have either the vision or the passing range to find him in these situations. He usually gets fed the ball in situations when there are defenders in front of him, and he has to make something of it, and that makes him much less useful.

Yeah...and look what happened when he came on and went upfront. We passed the ball backwards, sideways - SLOWLY - before looking to spam crosses into the box, all after allowing Villa to get back into their defensive shape. Like what was even the point of putting Werner upfront if we were just gonna continue spamming crosses into the box? Why didn't Lampard just leave Giroud on or bring Abraham on? Heck, could have even gone 2 up top with Werner and Giroud and get the former to work around the latter for any drop down etc. We played such braindead football towards the end. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yeah...and look what happened when he came on and went upfront. We passed the ball backwards, sideways - SLOWLY - before looking to spam crosses into the box, all after allowing Villa to get back into their defensive shape. Like what was even the point of putting Werner upfront if we were just gonna continue spamming crosses into the box? Why didn't Lampard just leave Giroud on or bring Abraham on? Heck, could have even gone 2 up top with Werner and Giroud and get the former to work around the latter for any drop down etc. We played such braindead football towards the end. 

Yeah, that's what I was also wondering. Retain Giroud, swap Jorginho for Werner.  Especially since we were chasing a win.

I've seen so many Chelsea games in recent years where managers (including Lampard) have thrown on extra forwards in winnable games. Lampard seems to have become more conservative this season. Maybe worried about the team getting hit on the counter, and to be fair, that happened against Wolves, and with Christensen/Rudiger at the back, who knows what would have happened.

And, looking at post match interview, looks like Lampard isn't bothered about this result at all. Does this look like someone concerned about his role at the club?

Maybe its just because we are not yet at the midway point of the season and others are dropping points, but it does give some perspective on what the club's end-season objectives are. I think a comfortable top 4 finish is the minimum. It maybe early, but we are too off-track at the minute.  

Anyway, last Chelsea game of 2020. End to a terrible month of football.

49 minutes ago, Vesper said:

absolutely shambolic that Jorginho did not go back and cover for the injured AC on that goal

and outrageous no foul called on Grealish for leaving his leg out and cracking  AC

Thought it was a foul by Andreas on Grealish. Came for the ball and completely missed it 

Just now, Strike said:

Thought it was a foul by Andreas on Grealish. Came for the ball and completely missed it 

Yep, that's how I saw it as well. If there was a foul to begin with, it was one committed by Christensen and not on him.

47 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

We should be able to manage without Ziyech, but his passing range is a lot better than the others. That alone can make up for a lot deficiencies in the team's play, and can be instrumental (ala Fabregas in Mourinho's 2014 Chelsea).

The press from our attack and midfield has also been shite this month (other than Leeds), which has led to our defense being more exposed. Fatigue is convenient reason for this, but it seems more complicated than that.

And if we are talking of being frustrated and about certain players it fucking baffles me how Andreas Christensen plays football at this level, he is absolute dog shit. 

Both him and Tammy are very good Championship players.

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

It's fucking beyond me how Christensen keeps getting chances to play despite his constant defensive cock-ups. Take the challenge for the Villa's equalizer as an example. He tried to make challenge but wasn't fully committed to it, referee gave nothing and Villa went on to score. :doh: