Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Is this guy injured for the last couple of games or what? He wasn't featured even on the bench and it's couldn't be because ot Acon, because Moses still hasn't left.

First dude had the 4 match suspension. Then I heard he had a knock as well & had to remain @ Cobham.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite simply I think we missed him last night. I'm not his biggest fan but he's good enough to come on against Southampton and steady the ship. I know I shouldn't be angry at him for being on international duty whilst his club and his teammates are in dire straits, but I'm not a perfect human being by any stretch of the imagination.

Bullshit. Mikel is a class DM, he does everything you'd want, now hes gets a chance to play verticle passes because there is much more movement in the midfield unlike before. Capoue isn't even as good as Mikel.

Thats just nonsense, he's only good when he doesnt go forward, he cant pass like Luiz or Romeu and thats why Rafa picks them ahead of him.

All his passes are mostly 10 yard jobs, we need defenders to turn defence into attack and he aint it. He is good for some games, but not ones when 10 men are behind the ball and we need a different option to unlock the defence. He keeps shooting shtupid long shots when he cant score.

He's never going to get better and needs competition as he reacts better when he is dropped

Thats just nonsense, he's only good when he doesnt go forward, he cant pass like Luiz or Romeu and thats why Rafa picks them ahead of him.

All his passes are mostly 10 yard jobs, we need defenders to turn defence into attack and he aint it. He is good for some games, but not ones when 10 men are behind the ball and we need a different option to unlock the defence. He keeps shooting shtupid long shots when he cant score.

He's never going to get better and needs competition as he reacts better when he is dropped

Since when was it a defensive midfielders job to unlock defences?????????????????????????

Since when was it a defensive midfielders job to unlock defences?????????????????????????

Seriously? A DM is there to break up attacks and then pass the ball to the more creative players

Busquets, Alonso etc pinging out long passes.

Mikel is too slow to do this and he is isnt a good passer, which again, is why Romeu and Luiz are preferred

Its all to easy to stop chelsea, just cut of the supply to Mata and co, thats why you need your DM's to be able to find them with a pass when needed

Seriously? A DM is there to break up attacks and then pass the ball to the more creative players

Busquets, Alonso etc pinging out long passes.

Mikel is too slow to do this and he is isnt a good passer, which again, is why Romeu and Luiz are preferred

Its all to easy to stop chelsea, just cut of the supply to Mata and co, thats why you need your DM's to be able to find them with a pass when needed

If Mikel is too slow and isn't as good a passer why has he been a regular since 2007-08.

I know what a DM does but you said Mikel isn't a good enough passer, which he is. Before his suspension and injuries he had completed the most passes in our team, with the highest accuracy. Also your argument about Mikel not finding Mata and that, thats either because they are marked or standing still. You can't just assume, oh there not moving or coming for the ball so its Mikels fault honestly.

Also if Busquets isn't Barca's DM and is their playmaker, who is their DM? Messi?

If Mikel is too slow and isn't as good a passer why has he been a regular since 2007-08.

I know what a DM does but you said Mikel isn't a good enough passer, which he is. Before his suspension and injuries he had completed the most passes in our team, with the highest accuracy. Also your argument about Mikel not finding Mata and that, thats either because they are marked or standing still. You can't just assume, oh there not moving or coming for the ball so its Mikels fault honestly.

Also is Busquets isn't Barca's DM, who is? Messi?

stats stats stats, what they dont ell you is that is his completed passes are 10 yarders to Cech or sideways!

Also if Busquets isn't Barca's DM and is their playmaker, who is their DM? Messi?

I agree. I don't have much problem with mikel. Of course I wish that he can pass like carrick/alonso but I can say that about everybody.

He is a natural holding that provide us with good balance

stats stats stats, what they dont ell you is that is his completed passes are 10 yarders to Cech or sideways!

Does that mean Barca are pish because all their players pass the ball 8-10 yards horozontially? Honestley just shut up, I watch every game, Mikel doesn't just play backwards 10 yards passes. Are you ready for this?

Average pass length = 17 meters.

604 forward passes (65.7%)

314 backward passes (34.3%)

90% passing accuracy.

BITCH PLEASE :Goober:

I must admit, I'm one of the first people to criticise Mikel but it was obvious last night how much we were missing him from the midfield. That's not to say I think he is as good as a lot of people on here make out.

I must admit, I'm one of the first people to criticise Mikel but it was obvious last night how much we were missing him from the midfield. That's not to say I think he is as good as a lot of people on here make out.

Same here. We simply missed someone who we could bring on to shore up the midfield a bit, especially at 2-1. I think he's competent enough to do that against Southampton.

Same here. We simply missed someone who we could bring on to shore up the midfield a bit, especially at 2-1. I think he's competent enough to do that against Southampton.

Exactly. Maybe because he actually understands the defensive midfield role better than Rami and Lampard. Mikel doesn't stray to far from the holding position and keeps it simple. How many times did we see Rami lose the ball from dribbling too much against Southampton, it became a running joke. As I said in another thread, Lampard is an attacking central mid not a defensive mid. Never thought I would find myself saying this but Mikel needs to hurry on home.

Funny how he gets criticised sometimes but when he is gone for a shot or long period we realise how important he actually is to this Chelsea team. His qualities are unnoticed when he plays by some but when he is not we lack a presence for someone in that DM role that he provides. We are much more vulnerable without him and I can't wait to have him back in the starting 11. One of the most important, unsung heroes here.

Thank fuck, I'm not the only one with eyes! Excellent post.

Mikel's importance to this team is so painstakingly obvious but people choose to ignore it anyway. Excellent post indeed. His maturity and discipline are absolutely pivotal to the way we play. It means that Lampard can bomb forward like he wanted to on Wednesday but without leaving massive gaps. JOM12 plugs them instantly. He is incredibly tactically astute and even if he is a little rash at times, in general his defensive discipline is unparalleled in the EPL.