Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I happen to think that, right now, DM is a position Chelsea could improve on.

Now, this improvement may come from Mikel and Romeo, or perhaps different players.

Without having the fitness levels data, that Chelsea coaches certainly do have access to, it's difficult to know how they are progressing physically and tactically. The fact they've let Essien go and bet on Mikel speaks volumes.

I think Mikel has gained some pace lately, but sometimes he seems a bit off as of lacking dynamism. His work rate could be improved on.

You could make a case for most of Chelsea squad that they'd be top 10 in the world in their respective positions (personal preferences aside), but Mikel would be a difficult sell for a top 10 spot. Essien at his best was easily top 10. Ironically we've won the CL without him... It's always the team.

It's all relative to the team and the system; the manager would be very welcome to find a system in which Mikel excels.

Very good post, and sums up my stance regarding Mikel.

Mikel has a lot of attributes that should be appreciated, but he has had his shortcomings and as he features more often in the starting eleven its becoming more apparent.

The fact remains that from the squad he is the best option for the role he plays, but that role is crucial and the team does suffer from it in certain situations.

You could make a case for most of Chelsea squad that they'd be top 10 in the world in their respective positions (personal preferences aside), but Mikel would be a difficult sell for a top 10 spot. Essien at his best was easily top 10. Ironically we've won the CL without him... It's always the team.

Maybe you could make a case for Cole and Cech as top-10 at their positions, but that's about it. Mikel is not the best defensive midfielder in the world, but he's actually closer to elite than what we have at a lot of positions. We could improve at DM just like we could improve virtually everywhere, but people are generally too hard on Mikel. Some of the criticisms are legitimate (for example, I think he can speed up his decision making sometimes), but some of them are a lack of understanding of what a defensive midfielder is supposed to do. His job is one of the least sexy jobs on the pitch. It's about positioning, safety, cover, and so on. Wanting a dynamic player to come in and play the position won't work. You need am unexciting, smart player there. The bottom line for me is that we can be elite with Mikel as our defensive midfielder (we were) but we have a number of positions where I don't think we can win if we don't improve (Ramires as deep-lying midfielder, Luiz/Cahill at CB, need long-term striker, etc...).

Maybe you could make a case for Cole and Cech as top-10 at their positions, but that's about it. Mikel is not the best defensive midfielder in the world, but he's actually closer to elite than what we have at a lot of positions. We could improve at DM just like we could improve virtually everywhere, but people are generally too hard on Mikel. Some of the criticisms are legitimate (for example, I think he can speed up his decision making sometimes), but some of them are a lack of understanding of what a defensive midfielder is supposed to do. His job is one of the least sexy jobs on the pitch. It's about positioning, safety, cover, and so on. Wanting a dynamic player to come in and play the position won't work. You need am unexciting, smart player there. The bottom line for me is that we can be elite with Mikel as our defensive midfielder (we were) but we have a number of positions where I don't think we can win if we don't improve (Ramires as deep-lying midfielder, Luiz/Cahill at CB, need long-term striker, etc...).

I think people here don't give enough international credit... do you know how difficult it is to start for Brazil? Certainly more difficult than to pick an England spot. I'm not dissing England, but it's just the sheer number of players that Brazil have at their disposal. Many of which play at top sides, like Chelsea. It's actually quite sad because it's a continental country with a single sport: football.

Granted, we have many young players now; even Luiz and Ramires are a bit green, esp concerning top level football. But that's how you improve your squad without breaking the bank. You cannot buy the final product every time; it's just too expensive even for Roman, not to mention the other guys may not want to sell their best players. BTW, moments of brilliance like the one Ramires had against Barca is what makes a player special in my book. Ramires was also MOTM for Brazil in the last world cup and was Suspended for the Holland game.

Chelsea are short in the middle, no argument there. They need cover too.

I think people here don't give enough international credit... do you know how difficult it is to start for Brazil? Certainly more difficult than to pick an England spot. I'm not dissing England, but it's just the sheer number of players that Brazil have at their disposal. Many of which play at top sides, like Chelsea. It's actually quite sad because it's a continental country with a single sport: football.

Brazil are actually ranked 13th in the world now by FIFA. They have a top side of course and could well win the World Cup at home, but people are too in awe of them based on results from a decade ago. This isn't a team filled with world class players. (In comparison, the 2002 team had Ronaldo, Kaka, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, Cafu, etc...) This team has a few top players and a lot of players with potential. Making national teams is difficult or easy based on the depth at a particular position rather, they style the coach wants to play, and so on, rather than an entire squad. (Take Spain-impossible to make it as an attacking midfielder, but any on-form striker at a big club would get an immediate call-up.) Anyway, it doesn't really matter because none of our Brazilians are remotely close to being top-10 in their position in the world which was my point. Mikel is definitely one of the best pure defensive midfielders in the Premier League, we don't have a lot of other players at the same level of their positions.

Let's agr

Brazil are actually ranked 13th in the world now by FIFA. They have a top side of course and could well win the World Cup at home, but people are too in awe of them based on results from a decade ago. This isn't a team filled with world class players. (In comparison, the 2002 team had Ronaldo, Kaka, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, Cafu, etc...) This team has a few top players and a lot of players with potential. Making national teams is difficult or easy based on the depth at a particular position rather, they style the coach wants to play, and so on, rather than an entire squad. (Take Spain-impossible to make it as an attacking midfielder, but any on-form striker at a big club would get an immediate call-up.) Anyway, it doesn't really matter because none of our Brazilians are remotely close to being top-10 in their position in the world which was my point. Mikel is definitely one of the best pure defensive midfielders in the Premier League, we don't have a lot of other players at the same level of their positions.

Let's agree to completely disagree then.

BTW, spain bore me to death... had Robben not been a complete and utter flop in big matches and the Dutch team would've been world champions now.

:wank2:

That is the worst post I have ever seen on TalkChelsea...

If you have a problem with Kojo sort it out on PM

Doing it in public like that = Fail...

So we disagree with Seb and Choulo on Mikel... That's what football, and life, are about - opinions...

At least offer some debate and not just make derogatory gestures...

It's about positioning, safety, cover, and so on. Wanting a dynamic player to come in and play the position won't work. You need am unexciting, smart player there. The bottom line for me is that we can be elite with Mikel as our defensive midfielder (we were) but we have a number of positions where I don't think we can win if we don't improve (Ramires as deep-lying midfielder, Luiz/Cahill at CB, need long-term striker, etc...).

Totally agree with the first point. We do need someone who does the boring stuff and is basically, for want of a better term, a water carrier. He doesn't need to make a single assist or key pass, he just needs to keep the ball moving when we're in possession (to create spaces in the opposition) and do the right thing defensively.

My contention throughout is that he doesn't do either of those well enough, especially in high pressure situations.

As for the second point about us being elite with him in the team, we won the Champions League with Bertrand and Kalou on the wings and Bosingwa at right-back. There's a difference between being able to win with someone in the team, and being in the best position possible to win with someone in the team. He won't usually cause us to lose (although he certainly has in a couple of games), but he won't contribute to many tough wins in my opinion.

If you're referring to our 2010 team, we were offensively strong and he had big personalities to cover for him (Ballack, Carvalho, Lamps) whilst he played a slightly different role. Now, he should be one of the big personalities helping some of the youngsters (people might forget that when this season ends, he'll be 26 and probably have almost 300 appearances in the first-term) but he isn't. I don't have the stats to back this up, but he also appears to be getting more bookings for dissent than ever when he should be getting to the stage where he can 'manage' referees.

Mikel is definitely one of the best pure defensive midfielders in the Premier League, we don't have a lot of other players at the same level of their positions.

It is a tough position to get right and there are a dearth of them right now. A few years ago we had the likes of Petit, Makelele, Deschamps and arguably Vieira, Keane and Butt (more box-to-box than DMs). I would honestly swap Mikel for any one of those, or even a De Jong or Barry.

What I would say about that position is that it requires intelligence, and as much as I like Mikel he ain't the sharpest tool in the box. It's fair enough saying he's one of the best around now but that isn't saying much if we're honest. We still need someone better.

How about this, your big posts aren't 98 percent bull shite, and you don't have people thinking your some big scout, when you're not some fool who has been proved wrong dozens of times and posted nonsense analysts.

Oh shit sarcasm, oh and watch out if you didn't get it at first, of course you're just nervous aren't you, because i forgot you must be nervous when you don't notice dodgy french sarcasm.

:wank2:

Can we please keep the debate about Mikel and not members' opinions?

I just have one question Seb..You say that the forward players are sometimes not in good positions to receive the ball so Mikel can't make the pass...

I agree with that, but why does he have to remain static? If he actually moved with the ball to draw some of the opposition away from their marked targets, his targets could become free for the pass...

Again statistically incorrect. Mikel averages 0.4 Dribbles per match, the same as Juan Mata.

Again statistically incorrect. Mikel averages 0.4 Dribbles per match, the same as Juan Mata.

Yes but do those stats tell you in what situations he performs those dribbles? I believe that most of the time he performs those when he comes under pressure (eg that swivel move he does with the ball) when one of the opposition attackers decide to press.

On the topic of Mikel, I agree with most points on this page but disagree with one.

People are talking about wanting a more dynamic player than Mikel. This doesn't necessarily mean a player that bursts forward, beating players left and right. One of Mikel's downfalls is that in one on one situations he gets bypassed too easily. It's the same with Romeu to, but maybe more so due to injuries with him. I think when people are talking about a more 'dynamic' player they are talking about it in a defensive sense, a player who is very athletic and also has the tactical nous that Mikel has.

On the topic of Mikel, I agree with most points on this page but disagree with one.

People are talking about wanting a more dynamic player than Mikel. This doesn't necessarily mean a player that bursts forward, beating players left and right. One of Mikel's downfalls is that in one on one situations he gets bypassed too easily. It's the same with Romeu to, but maybe more so due to injuries with him. I think when people are talking about a more 'dynamic' player they are talking about it in a defensive sense, a player who is very athletic and also has the tactical nous that Mikel has.

Sometimes hes lacking in 'tactical nous' but is getting better, and as someone said hes still young -ish. What was superb about Maka was his low centre of gravity and an uncanny knack of reading the game way before danger materialised. but if he went up further than the half way line he needed oxygen.

Mikel is going forward more -albeit at the possible expense of cover, and not sure its a good idea -its not like he can shoot :blink:

Anyway - with more dimensions to his play we should hang on to him. But he is definitely a marmite player.

Mikel isnt scrub, although he aint even close a top5 DM.

Observations:

1. @Kojo needs to be less of an internet warrior. I do agree more with you in this topic, nervertheless.

2. @SeB has some great arguments, I mean, really great. However, half of them are assumptions disguised into arguments.

Agreed.

Someone like Mascherano for example.

High work rate and pace though not so strong in the air.

• 2 weeks later...

So Mikel is one of our senior players, but he let himself and the club down and missed 3 games through suspension.

Now he's off to the African Cup of Nations to miss more games when the club needs him?

Would someone either direct him to look at the badge on his chest or the employer's name on his wage slip?