Mikel John Obi

Badboy

So Mikel is one of our senior players, but he let himself and the club down and missed 3 games through suspension.

Now he's off to the African Cup of Nations to miss more games when the club needs him?

Would someone either direct him to look at the badge on his chest or the employer's name on his wage slip?

so perhaps he is our only International and the only player to get suspended ... I know it's a quiet day but do you have to post rubbish ...

so perhaps he is our only International and the only player to get suspended ... I know it's a quiet day but do you have to post rubbish ...

I have a problem with the ACON, but I also think Mikel is now one of the senior members of our squad and for better or worse we need him.

The fact he got suspended (and the 3 game suspension was extremely light and we got lucky) doesn't help.

So Mikel is one of our senior players, but he let himself and the club down and missed 3 games through suspension.

Now he's off to the African Cup of Nations to miss more games when the club needs him?

Would someone either direct him to look at the badge on his chest or the employer's name on his wage slip?

He's already 'escaped' International duty several times to stay and play for Chelsea, but i can't see him doing it now. It's an important competition and he's an important player for them.

He was banned for 3 matches because he threatened Mark Clattenburg. Apparently, he said 'I'll break your fucking legs'. I'm sure most people would react in the same way if they had thought they were racially abused.

I also don't fault him for wanting to play for his country. If anything, it's admirable to me. Most kids dream of playing for their country some day. And regarding the employer's name on his wage slip: there's nothing in his contract that says he can't play for his country.

I have a problem with the ACON, but I also think Mikel is now one of the senior members of our squad and for better or worse we need him.

The fact he got suspended (and the 3 game suspension was extremely light and we got lucky) doesn't help.

a lot of us have problems with ACON but I dont blame the players ...

FFS that's his country! Even though I'm the complete opposite of a patriot I can understand why he wants to play for Nigeria.

It's an important competition

Without googling can you name the last 4 winners of it?

Personally, I can't. But I can with the World Cup, the Euros and the CL.

The fact that it's every other year DURING the league season just makes it even more objectionable. For some reason Shola Ameobi isn't joining up with the Nigerian squad too.

He was banned for 3 matches because he threatened Mark Clattenburg. Apparently, he said 'I'll break your fucking legs'. I'm sure most people would react in the same way if they had thought they were racially abused.

Let's not go over that rather sordid little piece of our recent history again, but suffice to say that threatening to break someone's legs isn't the only way to go about things.

FFS that's his country! Even though I'm the complete opposite of a patriot I can understand why he wants to play for Nigeria.

He has options. We all do. We aren't slaves to patriotism - it's a personal choice.

a lot of us have problems with ACON but I dont blame the players ...

We all have choices to make in life. He has made a choice in this matter and that is something I feel is absolutely open to a honest discussion.

Now of course we chose to sign him and other players in that position. Maybe in future we shouldn't.

We all have choices to make in life. He has made a choice in this matter and that is something I feel is absolutely open to a honest discussion.

Now of course we chose to sign him and other players in that position. Maybe in future we shouldn't.

You are judging his options by your selfish fan point of view (just like when people say they were happy Mata wasnt being called for Spain)...

ACON gives Nigeria a chance to go to Brazil in 2014 (but I guess that is not important) and Mikel knows he must be there or their chances will vastly decrease. I bet any player dreams of playing in the World Cup!

EDIT: What do you mean by "maybe in the future we shouldn't sign players in that position"?

The fact that it's every other year DURING the league season just makes it even more objectionable. For some reason Shola Ameobi isn't joining up with the Nigerian squad too.

Let's not go over that rather sordid little piece of our recent history again, but suffice to say that threatening to break someone's legs isn't the only way to go about things.

He has options. We all do. We aren't slaves to patriotism - it's a personal choice.

I bet you wont be saying this if you were not european, so Africans dont have the right to have a continental competition like Europe does?...i dont know who won the last 4, but i know Didier Drogba is praying to win just ONE...Its not important to you, but people who care about where they come from even if their competitions are not as well known or posh as yours, still have pride in putting on their national colors and should not be insulted for it.....

We can be slaves to patriotism when it is the Euros or the World cup and you would want every Cfc player to compete in those competitions, but when its a less known like ACON you have a problem with it?...

Do you think it would be fair if just Europeans and American (North or South), alone are allowed to compete in their continental competitions, but Africans are not?

I think Shola Ameobi opted to play for England long ago, Victor Moses is going, You mad bro?

You are judging his options by your selfish fan point of view (just like when people say they were happy Mata wasnt being called for Spain)...

ACON gives Nigeria a chance to go to brazil in 2014 (but I guess that is not important) and Mikel knows he must be there or their chances will vastly decrease. I bet any player dreams of playing in the World Cup!

EDIT: What do you mean by "maybe in the future we shouldn't sign players in that position"?

I'm judging him as I would judge any other adult male who has a choice in life to make. Now the ACON is a joke in so many ways with it being every other year and being held in the midst of the major leagues' seasons, but each man has choices to make in life and Mikel is supposed to be one of our senior players yet he is choosing to put his national team ahead of his club teammates.

In future, maybe we shouldn't sign players who may choose to go to an international tournament in January.

I bet you wont be saying this if you were not european, so Africans dont have the right to have a continental competition like Europe does?...i dont know who won the last 4, but i know Didier Drogba is praying to win just ONE...Its not important to you, but people who care about where they come from even if their competitions are not as well known or posh as yours, still have pride in putting on their national colors and should not be insulted for it.....

We can be slaves to patriotism when it is the Euros or the World cup and you would want every Cfc player to compete in those competitions, but when its a less known like ACON you have a problem with it?...

Do you think it would be fair if just Europeans and American (North or South), alone are allowed to compete in their continental competitions, but Africans are not?

I think Shola Ameobi opted to play for England long ago, Victor Moses is going, You mad bro?

Actually in Europe we only have a continental competition once ever FOUR years but I like the implication that I'm making some post-colonial point. Please don't try and play the race card with me, you understand? The European competition is also held in our off-season.

Now I'm sure there are reasons why the ACON can't be held in the same period, but we both know I'll just refer to the World Cup in South Africa or the upcoming one in Qatar.

I'm judging him as I would judge any other adult male who has a choice in life to make. Now the ACON is a joke in so many ways with it being every other year and being held in the midst of the major leagues' seasons, but each man has choices to make in life and Mikel is supposed to be one of our senior players yet he is choosing to put his national team ahead of his club teammates.

In future, maybe we shouldn't sign players who may choose to go to an international tournament in January.

OMG!

I wont even respond, you win. I dont want to end up getting a warning in my last days as MOTM...

I just cant believe some of the things I am reading. :readthemessage:

Everyone can agree the timing of the competition is not ideal, but it's just as important as the Euros or any other continental competition. Difference is in quality and how far ahead European teams are.

As for past 4 winners in don't know, but I have seen Tunisia , Egypt and Zambia win it.

It's probably best not to go over it again, and there probably were better ways to go about it. But my point is that you can't fault Mikel for reacting the way he did. It was perfectly understandable, to be fair to him.