Mikel John Obi

Badboy

RDM on Mikel...

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2947054/title/the-manager-speaks-part-one

One man whose role has altered slightly is John Mikel Obi, an ever-present thus far in the league, who has shared defensive midfield duties with one of Frank Lampard, Ramires and the now departed Raul Meireles. Oriol Romeu has also played there when Mikel hasn't. The Nigerian's good work is rarely highlighted, but he has done enough to earn recognition within the camp.

'Over the years he has been almost ever-present, and he has been very important over the back end of last season and this season he started in good form,' Di Matteo says of the 25-year-old. 'We all make mistakes in games and I don't think he gets the credit for the work he does for the team.

'It's a thankless task really, and I understand because I played in that role myself a little bit, and it's a role that is important for the team. His team-mates and the management team understand and appreciate it, but maybe the fans are more focused on the more creative players and goalscorers, but that role is vital in our team.

'He and the player alongside him have to have a good understanding and communication, so that we always have one of the two behind the ball who is able to provide an outlet for us, to switch play, and also be the first player thinking about if we lose the ball, to be able give organisation in front of the defence.'

I think many CFC fans have forgotten that Mikel won the Silver Ball in the 05' Youth Cup. Messi won the Gold Boot. For the Super Eagles Mikel is more of an offensive presence. On CFC you have high scorers, Mikel doesn't need to venture up closer to the offensive end. His job is to protect the back 4. I know that for most of you the only thing that matters is how he appears on the FIFA Game series. For me Mikel keeps the simple stupid & helps CFC maintain a balance on the pitch. Total Team Player!!!