24. Reece James

the wes

5 + 1 effectively takes him through until he's 29 years old. Huge statement by the new board to recognise he's one of our best players and to pay him and tie him down as such.

There's been a lot of talk in the past how Marina and the previous board didn't value defenders the same as attackers, and also didn't place the same value on our own academy players compared to new signings. Can only feel like they'd not even entertain negotiating yet with Reece with 3 years left on his deal, and if they did it would be a significantly drawn out process as they'd be reluctant to put him amongst the highest earners.

I'm impressed with the speed this has been sorted by Boehly/Clearlake and how it has taken precedence over Kante and Jorginho for example. Hopefully Mount is next, he's been poor so far this season but it's clear he needs signing up with only 2 years left on his deal. Get him done and we have a lot of players either already very good or with very high potential in the 18-25 age range that are tied to the club for the next 4, 5, 6 years.

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Chelsea website just updated the contract as 6 years now instead of 5. Not sure if this is 6 + 1 or just straight 6.

They've changed it back now to 5 + 1 😂

Well, it essentially is 6 as the option would be taken if it got to it. 

Best signing of the summer. It was essential to keep RJ here as he embodies everything that Chelsea are and strive to be. 

Bohely and CC are not fucking around. We finally have owners who have a vision for the long term. 

34 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Well, it essentially is 6 as the option would be taken if it got to it. 

Yeah, doesn't really matter whether it's 5+1 or 6 because chances are he won't play till the full 2028 with this contract anyway. Either it will be extended again in another 3-4 years or if for some reason he wants to leave at some point he'll be sold before this contract ever reaches it's endpoint. 

Great news anyway. Next club captain for sure.

Great news but personally I feel 250k a week (highest paid defender in club history) is madness.

And I’ll go back to it but as soon as we gave CHO 150k a week this was always going to happen.

Mason will likely renew next and be on similar terms. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Great news but personally I feel 250k a week (highest paid defender in club history) is madness.

And I’ll go back to it but as soon as we gave CHO 150k a week this was always going to happen.

Now CHO's deal is considered to be £7.5m (ish) a year? Well I refused to believe the claims when it was reckoned to be £6m a year and I still don't. I simply do not believe even the lower number so I can't accept the possibility of the higher one. I said at the time that if it was costing £120,000 a week to fend off Bayern's interest in Callum we should simply have let him go.

As for Reece, he is one of the most important players in the squad and no doubt his agent(s) would have negotiated hard to have that fact reflected in his deal. I'm just glad he's committed.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

How is it madness? I fail to see the comparison to CHO's contract because at least James has proven himself to consistently being one of the top3 performers in our team over a 2-3 year period and we have a bunch of other players who've already surpassed the 250k a week mark before so I'd say it's about time the best homegrown talent started being appreciated the same way as the players bought from other clubs for big money.

In the last few years Lukaku, Sterling, Werner, Koulibaly, Kante and according to some reports Aubameyang have all received equal or bigger contracts as James just did.

Edited by Jype

22 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Now CHO's deal is considered to be £7.5m (ish) a year? Well I refused to believe the claims when it was reckoned to be £6m a year and I still don't. I simply do not believe even the lower number so I can't accept the possibility of the higher one. I said at the time that if it was costing £120,000 a week to fend off Bayern's interest in Callum we should simply have let him go.

As for Reece, he is one of the most important players in the squad and no doubt his agent(s) would have negotiated hard to have that fact reflected in his deal. I'm just glad he's committed.

I get that but say in 3 or 4 full seasons again when he or the club turns around and wants to renegotiate then again, we are looking at £300-£350k+ a week. Easily. 

22 hours ago, Jype said:

How is it madness? I fail to see the comparison to CHO's contract because at least James has proven himself to consistently being one of the top3 performers in our team over a 2-3 year period and we have a bunch of other players who've already surpassed the 250k a week mark before so I'd say it's about time the best homegrown talent started being appreciated the same way as the players bought from other clubs for big money.

In the last few years Lukaku, Sterling, Werner, Koulibaly, Kante and according to some reports Aubameyang have all received equal or bigger contracts as James just did.

True on his performances but £250k now just means the next one is going to be £300-£350k+ minimum and no doubt with his trajectory in say 3 years we will sit down and want to renegotiate a deal.

I mean people can say what they want and this is all hypothetical but giving a 22 year old £250k a week after 128 appearances, whilst he has been pretty impressive I still think he is definitely young enough and clearly we could have given him a slightly lower wage and he would of resigned because he’s a Chelsea lad.

I mean I still remember the talk when United gave Rashford a 200k + a week deal. There was a lot of criticism, giving him a mega mega contract. 

I would of hoped that Boehly would of been a bit more measured in particular with new deals for the likes of Reece and Mason. Not that they don’t deserve a pay rise or a wage similar to some of the other guys absolutely not, but again to not put the club in a position where 3 or 4 years down the line the wage structure has to be hugely restructured and no doubts, it will have knock on effects on other players.

Edited by OneMoSalah

• 5 weeks later...

Great performance last night. I'm so glad, he's signed a new deal. He is the player to build around. Superb strengths, no obvious weaknesses and is developing a rapport with Sterling on the right.