24. Reece James

the wes

James joined Chelsea at the age of six. He made his Under-18 debut against West Ham United in March 2016. In 2017–18 season, he captained the Under-18s to a record fifth successive FA Youth Cup. He was named the club's Academy Player of the Year

Yay finally a Reece James thread. What progress he’s made over the last 16 months, and has easily overtaken Dujon Sterling as the RB to watch. 

We are having a lot of success in the Championship this season with our loanees and James appears to be having one of the best. I’ve managed to watch him a couple of times (quite a lot of Championship games are live this season, eg. All midweek games are live) and he’s impresssed me in those games. Perhaps more pertinent - Wigan fans especially seem to rate him highly. Constant high praise, and as I’m sure you’re aware has already won POTM.

from what I can see he has carried on his form and style from youth level. So perfect crosses, good and aggressive defensively, and also able to be smart and incisive on the ball. I’m a fan of all our young RBs (Aina, Sterling and James) but I think the key thing James has over the other two is that air of dependability. All three share many of the same physical traits, but James is less raw, more accomplished defensively, more reliable as a whole going forward. He’s the most likely of our young RBs to make it at Chelsea right now (not ignoring Aina doing alright at Torino).

I think PL teams would love a player like him, who’s clearly physically ready (tbh I’ve rarely seen a player James’ age who is as built as he is) and has such good crossing technique. 

Here’s a nice video with some of his highlights so far

Reece James 2018/19 • Best Skills: youtu.be/ZVg4qQ1sLPM?a via @YouTube

1 hour ago, ja1 said:

Yay finally a Reece James thread. What progress he’s made over the last 16 months, and has easily overtaken Dujon Sterling as the RB to watch. 

We are having a lot of success in the Championship this season with our loanees and James appears to be having one of the best. I’ve managed to watch him a couple of times (quite a lot of Championship games are live this season, eg. All midweek games are live) and he’s impresssed me in those games. Perhaps more pertinent - Wigan fans especially seem to rate him highly. Constant high praise, and as I’m sure you’re aware has already won POTM.

from what I can see he has carried on his form and style from youth level. So perfect crosses, good and aggressive defensively, and also able to be smart and incisive on the ball. I’m a fan of all our young RBs (Aina, Sterling and James) but I think the key thing James has over the other two is that air of dependability. All three share many of the same physical traits, but James is less raw, more accomplished defensively, more reliable as a whole going forward. He’s the most likely of our young RBs to make it at Chelsea right now (not ignoring Aina doing alright at Torino).

I think PL teams would love a player like him, who’s clearly physically ready (tbh I’ve rarely seen a player James’ age who is as built as he is) and has such good crossing technique. 

fixed link:)

16 hours ago, ja1 said:

I’ve been following a WAFC fan forum since preseason. There was skepticism about him at first. One poster even commented that, “He needs to improve his crossing.”, which was a crazy rush to judgement of course. Reece has a better, and more consistent, delivery than any other current Chelsea player of any age.

As you’ve said, Wigan fans have since realised what they’ve got. Not only has Reece overtaken Duge in the RB stakes, he is in my opinion, our best current academy prospect bar none. Better Chelsea chances than Mason, better than Callum, better than the lot of ‘em.

When I posted to say that last season, I also said I felt that Reece could be starting for us as soon as 2019/2020. I continue to believe that. He’s a terrific player. 

On 22/10/2018 at 4:45 PM, the wes said:

Dream on Brighton.

Years ago, Newcastle tried to sign a young John Terry for £10m. The fact that the bid was so big, for the time, and that it came from so respected a manager as Sir Bobby Robson, served only to confirm to Chelsea that they had a high calibre prospect on their hands. I’ve often speculated that if Newcastle had offered a smaller amount, they’d have had a better chance to get JT.

At least Brighton haven’t made that tactical error. They’ve put in a modest offer by today’s standards but they still won’t be fooling anybody. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Sunday's Wigan vs Leeds game last night. Like quite a few, I pretty much expected Reece to go to Derby for the season, so was a little surprised when he rocked up at the DW. Having seen them play now, I'm disappointed too. Wigan are woeful. Still, here are some post game comments from Latics Speyk forum's match thread: -

"Other than Reece James the rest ranged from mediocre to shite."

"I feel so sorry for Reece James. He should have been playing in white today. Just a class above everyone else in a Blue and White shirt. He must be fuming that he picked us to join in the summer … Deserves better and will get what he deserves in the years to come no doubt. Might as well give him the player of the season award now and save us all the bother in May."

Wigan's next game is against Boro. One lad thinks he's got the solution to his team's problems: -

"My starting 11 for Middlesborough

----------James---------------
James James James Robinson
-------James James------------
----James James James-------
------------Burn---------------"

I think it's fair to say they're impressed. :)

• 4 weeks later...

What type of player is he exactly? An attacking fullback, defensive one or something in the middle? Fast, powerful, highly technical right back with good crossing ability so basically similar player to City's Mendy would really take this team to another level

1 hour ago, !Hazard! said:

What type of player is he exactly? An attacking fullback, defensive one or something in the middle? Fast, powerful, highly technical right back with good crossing ability so basically similar player to City's Mendy would really take this team to another level

I think Mendy might be a good comparison. I have not seen Reece play a lot. Your description matches Junior Firpo to a T.

15 hours ago, !Hazard! said:

Your description is basically Reece. He is a great crosser, I’ve seen him described before as already world class at crossing and I wouldn’t argue against it. He is strong and aggressive which helps him defensively. He has a good passing range, both long and short, and is good at FKs. Comfortable on the ball. From this perspective he reminds me of TAA - TAA probably better long passing though. 

Pace wise some people think he is slow, I don’t think so. He’s not lightening quick but hardly a slouch. Again TAA is probably at a similar level for pace, or someone like Ryan Bertrand. Maybe not as fast as Mendy.

Dribbling he is ok at, certainly capable of a nice dribble but maybe not a consistent one v one player like say Ben Chilwell or even our own Emerson. 

Defensively he’s good too, as I said, strong and aggressive, uses pace well, good tackler. It is a strength to his game, he is hard to dominate as a winger I feel.