Wilfried Zaha

the wes

41 minutes ago, the wes said:

Maybe there's a buy out clause in his new contract?

According to the Guardian: No. Not to say that will stop a team making a mammoth bid next year.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/15/wilfried-zaha-signs-new-deal-to-become-best-paid-player-at-crystal-palace

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This sort of deal doesn't seem like good business. £60-80m for someone that will be almost 28 by the time he joins, have little to no resell value and anything could happen within 12 months.

If we are seriously looking at signing players with 12 months in mind, we ought to be going down the Pulisic route again.

Everyone here knows I love Zaha. This would be fantastic for both Chelsea and Palace. Really, really hope we can do it.

Palace get a year more of Zaha and a year more to plan for his replacement. Zaha will be at peace knowing his future is sorted and would likely play his heart out. Then we get a top player sewn up before a potential bidding war starts next summer.

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

40 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

This sort of deal doesn't seem like good business. £60-80m for someone that will be almost 28 by the time he joins, have little to no resell value and anything could happen with 12 months.

If we are seriously looking at signing players with 12 months in mind, we ought to be going down the Pulisic route again.

At the same time, someone who is almost 28 is in their prime years and should realistically be at their best level to 30 or 31 before declining. I'm not Zaha's biggest fan, although he wouldn't be the worst move but still think his game lacks end product and even from playing in pretty much a free role at times with Palace he hasn't really put up stats that make me go wow. 10 goals and 5 PL assists for Palace in 34 games maybe seems decent but still, I would be a bit concerned with spending 60-80m on him although that is just the way the market is these days I suppose. With Pedro and Willian ageing though, maybe having someone who is in their prime years and probably able to replicate their outputs isn't the worst idea without realistically getting in Pulisic and Callums long term development either. 

At the same time, someone who is almost 28 is in their prime years and should realistically be at their best level to 30 or 31 before declining. I'm not Zaha's biggest fan, although he wouldn't be the worst move but still think his game lacks end product and even from playing in pretty much a free role at times with Palace he hasn't really put up stats that make me go wow. 10 goals and 5 PL assists for Palace in 34 games maybe seems decent but still, I would be a bit concerned with spending 60-80m on him although that is just the way the market is these days I suppose. With Pedro and Willian ageing though, maybe having someone who is in their prime years and probably able to replicate their outputs isn't the worst idea without realistically getting in Pulisic and Callums long term development either. 
I just have my reservations about him being able to make the step up tbh. Arsenal and Everton EL level teams at best right now whilst we're a level above in all fairness.

Better deals to be had with 12 months in mind.

11 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I just have my reservations about him being able to make the step up tbh. Arsenal and Everton EL level teams at best right now whilst we're a level above in all fairness.

Better deals to be had with 12 months in mind.

I honestly wouldn't say we are that much better than Arsenal. Arsenal have got goals upfront in 2 strikers who can score 20 a season. We don't have that. Ultimately goals win games and having 2 strikers who can deliver that will help a lot even if your slightly weaker in other areas. Fair enough we maybe have better players in other positions but its not like we are that much better if we are as a collective, hence the fact we relied a lot on Eden last season. Plus, as ironic as this may sound right now, I think Emery is a better fit for Arsenal than Lampard is for Chelsea at this moment in time. Also, this we are better than Arsenal thing just now means nothing, it hasn't been proven under Frank, we haven't played 1 competitive game and Sarri was in charge last season. Also I think United and Arsenal will surprise people this year, they've had 1 year (half a season for United) with their managers so they are more accustomed to how they want to play and how they work where as Frank has come in and instantly changed the system. Race for top 4 is going to be extremely interesting. City-Liverpool then youve got us, Spurs, United and Arsenal all going for 2 places.

I would say, if you are able to cut it for Arsenal I think you are more than likely able to do so here right now. Willian, Callum and Pedro arent exactly lightyears ahead of Zaha if at all. Zaha wouldnt be the worst move as of right now or even 12 months down the line. Fair there are better wingers out there perhaps but I think we have got 2 bargaining chips to use with Palace, Batshuayi who they want and was there last year as well as Reece who they are keen on (although if Zappa goes he has to stay to back up Azpi or if he doesn't go then send him there on loan).

I honestly wouldn't say we are that much better than Arsenal. Arsenal have got goals upfront in 2 strikers who can score 20 a season. We don't have that. Ultimately goals win games and having 2 strikers who can deliver that will help a lot even if your slightly weaker in other areas. Fair enough we maybe have better players in other positions but its not like we are that much better if we are as a collective, hence the fact we relied a lot on Eden last season. Plus, as ironic as this may sound right now, I think Emery is a better fit for Arsenal than Lampard is for Chelsea at this moment in time. Also, this we are better than Arsenal thing just now means nothing, it hasn't been proven under Frank, we haven't played 1 competitive game and Sarri was in charge last season. Also I think United and Arsenal will surprise people this year, they've had 1 year (half a season for United) with their managers so they are more accustomed to how they want to play and how they work where as Frank has come in and instantly changed the system. Race for top 4 is going to be extremely interesting. City-Liverpool then youve got us, Spurs, United and Arsenal all going for 2 places.
I would say, if you are able to cut it for Arsenal I think you are more than likely able to do so here right now. Willian, Callum and Pedro arent exactly lightyears ahead of Zaha if at all. Zaha wouldnt be the worst move as of right now or even 12 months down the line. Fair there are better wingers out there perhaps but I think we have got 2 bargaining chips to use with Palace, Batshuayi who they want and was there last year as well as Reece who they are keen on (although if Zappa goes he has to stay to back up Azpi or if he doesn't go then send him there on loan).
It's more to do with our expectations compared to Arsenal. This season will obviously be one of transition, but the team/Roman will have ambitions of challenging 12 months now, whether that's realistic is another story.

Also, I think Arsenal are a way off in every position aside from upfront. They leak more than they score & they haven't got Liverpool's sort of front line either. In regards to Manchester United, they have all their hopes pinned on their youth this season, so their season could go any way with a manager that's hardly done much to date.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You