Antonio Rudiger

Cholo

4 hours ago, Jype said:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/antonio-ruediger-Chelsea-fc-soccer-premier-league

Rüdiger says good bye with an article. Very well written, what a man. 

The most interesting piece from that article:

Unfortunately, my contract negotiations had already started to get difficult last fall. Business is business, but when you don’t hear any news from the club from August to January, the situation becomes complicated. After the first offer, there was a long gap of just nothing. We’re not robots, you know? You cannot wait for months with so much uncertainty about your future. Obviously, no one saw the sanctions coming, but in the end, other big clubs were showing interest, and I had to make a decision. I will leave it at that, because business aside, I have nothing bad to say about this club. 

If true it seems the club weren't that interested in extending him anyway.

49 minutes ago, manpe said:

Unfortunately, my contract negotiations had already started to get difficult last fall. Business is business, but when you don’t hear any news from the club from August to January, the situation becomes complicated. After the first offer, there was a long gap of just nothing. We’re not robots, you know? You cannot wait for months with so much uncertainty about your future. Obviously, no one saw the sanctions coming, but in the end, other big clubs were showing interest, and I had to make a decision. I will leave it at that, because business aside, I have nothing bad to say about this club. 

I thought we offered him 200kpw in December, turned it down, we then maxed the offer  to 230kpw in January and he still declined?

1 hour ago, manpe said:

Club does stupid things like this from time to time. Not sure why.

The Courtois situation was also another one that was horribly mishandled, albeit the player made it tough by forcing the move.

When you lose more than 3 players in one go., then you really have to question the management.

In terms of contract talks, it looks like they started negotiations with Christensen before Rudiger. Just ridiculous. Arrogance probably made them think they could negotiate with Rudiger in the last minute and tie him down easily. 

20 minutes ago, Mário César said:

How the fuck we not talk to him from august to january??

our best player expires contract at the end of the season and we don't do anythink ?? 

how is that possible?

The club probably figured it was a mere formality that he’d eventually renew his contract. Like most Chelsea supporters, they must’ve been thinking that since he was such a leader and captain-like on the pitch and that he clearly loved the club it would be easy to convince him in the end.

Much like Christensen actually when everyone and their mother was saying everything was agreed with him and he was in the verge of signing.

39 minutes ago, Pizy said:

The club probably figured it was a mere formality that he’d eventually renew his contract. Like most Chelsea supporters, they must’ve been thinking that since he was such a leader and captain-like on the pitch and that he clearly loved the club it would be easy to convince him in the end.

Much like Christensen actually when everyone and their mother was saying everything was agreed with him and he was in the verge of signing.

one thing is we supporters think that, other thing is the board think and act in the same way

hard to believe, tbh

we've been so bad in our policy transfer market that its hard to believe that we won a ucl last year :D 

nice words about tuchel

he couldn't get a premierleague with us but at least he won a ucl that value several leagues

he always be remember from yours ucl performances in our win

good luck in madrid 

Edited by Mário César

On 20/05/2022 at 14:38, Jype said:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/antonio-ruediger-Chelsea-fc-soccer-premier-league

Rüdiger says good bye with an article. Very well written, what a man. 

Nice story about N'golo and seems to be a locker room leader that everyone looks up to. Lampard really dropped the ball picking a limited Zouma over this guy 

19 hours ago, Pizy said:

Hard to believe that they'd be so naive. The board must have had serious doubts about him for the money he was asking for, as he'd been performing at the highest level only for under half a season by that time. Before that they were ready to sell, Rüdiger was always in-and-out of the team, never quite cemented his place and was mostly known as a rash player with silly mistakes in him, so they perhaps took a more patient approach and waited until January to see if he'd be able to perform consistently at the highest level before offering him a long-term bumper contract that goes well beyond into his 30s. Remember, our club is very careful when it concerns players over 30.

The club probably thought they'd still have plenty of time after the turn of the year, because Rüdiger signaled his intention to stay and his performances had merited that bumper contract, so back behind the negotiation table they went. But then the war happened and the rest is history. Like Rüdiger said, the sanctions situation affects everybody at the club and it is topic nr 1 on players' minds, so the sanctions sealed the deal for him. Fuck war.

6 hours ago, Strike said:

Nice story about N'golo and seems to be a locker room leader that everyone looks up to. Lampard really dropped the ball picking a limited Zouma over this guy 

To be fair Rüdiger played nothing like he has been playing under TT. Mistake after mistake, awful positional awareness... he was a liability, Lampard recognized that. WE wanted him dropped and gone. Zouma, for all his faults, was more reliable at the back in a 2 CB defence. I don't know how it's possible that a player performs like a clown in one formation, but then like the world's best in another. Is it REALLY that dependant on the system for him? Or is it the confidence and belief that he gets from the coach more important? Was Frank simply a bad man manager? Maybe Rüdiger needs to feel like the main man for him to be up for the fight? We'll perhaps get answers to some of those questions when he plays in a back 4 for Madrid.

One thing is for sure, we'll miss him under Tuchel's specific system and management, but if we got a new manager down the line, then who knows, we might have been stuck on another dreg on high wages running down his contract...

Edited by manpe

On 20/05/2022 at 15:49, MoroccanBlue said:

I thought we offered him 200kpw in December, turned it down, we then maxed the offer  to 230kpw in January and he still declined?

Yes we did, it was also his signing on fee and his agent's fee, I don't know the figures, but CFC refused to pay them...right as well.

The higher the wages and agent fees players demand the more they become replaceable. Sure there will always be once in gen players for which one has to pay over proportionally. But Toni is not one of them. 

18 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

No point crying over spilled milk

Toni have us 10 months of world class performances but as soon as he decided to leave his performance dropped to his level under conte and Sarri. 

Still had the best game of his season at Madrid in that period

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Apparently he was awful against Club America yesterday in a back 4. 

Who would've thought?

And apparently he was played as a left-back in the friendly against Barcelona, which doesn't really suit him either.

It was always obvious he won't find another top club whose game system favors him as much as Tuchel's 3-4-3. In seven months time Rüdiger will be 30 years old and thus far in his career he's only showed true world class level in the 18 month period under Thomas Tuchel so him being so anxious to move on was always a mystery to me.

Money definitely played a big part in his decision to leave but if he'd waited till the takeover was done I'm pretty sure Boehly would have given him whatever he asked for in wages. Sure he'll probably win more team trophies at Real Madrid than he would've at Chelsea but if he's not going to be a key player in those wins, will he care as much?

I really like him as a player and hope it works out well for him at Real Madrid but I have my doubts.

Edited by Jype

9 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Apparently he was awful against Club America yesterday in a back 4. 

Who would've thought?

Not that shocking, my abiding memory of him, outside of his time with TT, was when, he ran in a straight line as if he was running against Bolt in the 100m when Bayern were counter attacking us.