Antonio Rudiger

Cholo

13 hours ago, robsblubot said:

yup!
I've known professional footballers in Brazil -- some even famous -- and with VERY few exceptions, their mindset is very much the same as ours concerning jobs. Do you think twice when getting an offer with a significantly higher pay raise? Do their spouses, friends, and agents chime in?

That's what it's called being a "professional" footballer.

Totti never did that and if there is n't a real big difference it's not professional, it's unprofessional.

1 hour ago, cosmicway said:

Totti never did that and if there is n't a real big difference it's not professional, it's unprofessional.

Who am I to judge whether the difference is enough or not? And that was a simplification--there are several other variables involved.

And I'd put Totti in the "very few exceptions category."

11 hours ago, cosmicway said:

erm, Rüdiger was at multiple other  clubs before Chels

6a1d22e012f2491c4e5e8272c338d297.png

the only major global star One club men in the modern (played into the EPL era) game were

Francesco Totti    Italy    Roma    1992    2017    25    618    
Paolo Maldini    Italy    AC Milan    1984    2009    25    647    
Ryan Giggs    Wales    Manchester United    1990    2014    24    672    
Rogério Ceni    Brazil    São Paulo FC    1993    2015    23    576 (greatest scoring GKer ever, 131 goals in 1257 (another insane number) games, many from free kicks, won 21 major trophies, including the World Club Cup AND The Intercontinental Cup, and EIGHT continental trophies )  
Franco Baresi    Italy    AC Milan    1977    1997    20    531
Carles Puyol    Spain    Barcelona    1999    2014    15    392    
Paul Scholes    England    Manchester United    1994    2013    19    493    
Jamie Carragher    England    Liverpool    1996    2013    16    508  
Gary Neville    England    Manchester United    1992    2011    19    400
Tony Adams    England    Arsenal    1983    2002    19    504    
Michael Zorc    Germany    Borussia Dortmund    1981    1998    17    463
Claude Puel    France    Monaco    1979    1996    17    488  
Giuseppe Bergomi    Italy    Inter Milan    1979    1999    20    519
Manuel Sanchís    Spain    Real Madrid    1983    2001    18    533    
Chendo    Spain    Real Madrid    1982    1998    16    363

(Ledley King only played 251 games for spuds, he was fucked by his knees)

active (most will not end up as 1 club men)

Thomas Müller    Germany    Bayern Munich    2008    14    374
Sergio Busquets    Spain    Barcelona    2008    14    404

Marcel Schmelzer    Germany    Borussia Dortmund    2008    14    258
Iker Muniain    Spain    Athletic Bilbao    2009    13    344
Koke    Spain    Atlético Madrid    2009    13    343
Hugo Mallo    Spain    Celta Vigo    2009    13    341
Sergi Roberto    Spain    Barcelona    2010    12    208
James Ward-Prowse    England    Southampton    2011    11    271
Maximilian Arnold    Germany    VfL Wolfsburg    2011    11    251
Anthony Lopes    Portugal    Lyon    2012    10    302

Edited by Vesper

Defence is now a real worry. In my opinion we only have one starting calibre CB in Silva who is 38, you can maybe stretch to Dave at RCB. 

After that you've got the following issues: 

James: Can be slotted into RCB but that just means he takes Dave's place. Additionally, it requires a RWB. I was find with this when Hakimi was an option or trying to blood Livra, but where are we getting that calibre or type of prospect? 

Trev: Not good enough to be starting. He is a solid enough 4/5CB but I don't think we can rely on him full time. 

Sarr: Not good enough. Could argue CB6 as that is almost an impossible position to fill, but in reality I am not confident whenever he starts. 

Colwill: Very big leap for him to go from 25ish games for Huddersfield to 50+, including CL with Chelsea. Best thing for him would be a PL loan next season to someone like Leeds. 

For me, if we are to keep the 3atb system we now may need 3 CB's or 2 CB's plus a RWB. However, if we got to a back 4, then you are asking a lot of Silva and Dave/James are never playing there. 

Just need the sale to happen asap. 

4 hours ago, cosmicway said:

Have you never wished for players in our squad to fuck off because they're not good enough?

We can't have our cake and eat it, loyalty is a two way street.

20 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Have you never wished for players in our squad to fuck off because they're not good enough?

We can't have our cake and eat it, loyalty is a two way street.

I never said that former players should not be compensated, especially if they are in need.

Thomas Tuchel lifts lid on Antonio Rudiger’s Chelsea exit

https://theathletic.com/news/thomas-tuchel-lifts-lid-on-antonio-rudigers-Chelsea-exit/I2wJxM08fDHD/

Thomas Tuchel lifts lid on Antonio Rudiger’s Chelsea exit.

Thomas Tuchel has said Antonio Rudiger told him he would not sign a new contract at Chelsea an hour before training, adding that he was unable to convince the defender to change his mind because he has “strong opinions”.

The Athletic reported on Saturday that Rudiger, 29, had decided to depart the club.

Rudiger has been one of Chelsea’s best players over the last 18 months, but the club’s inability to agree a new deal before owner Roman Abramovich was sanctioned last month created a problem.

Speaking ahead of Chelsea’s meeting with Manchester United on Thursday, Tuchel said: “When Toni knocks on your door an hour before training, it is not a good sign. He usually grabs you in between and tells you that he needs to tell you something.

“So when he knocks before training, everybody was like ‘Oh no, come on, it’s not looking good.’

“Then we had this brief conversation. First of all, I appreciated that he came, that he told me as one of the first (people to know). That shows me we have a relationship where we address things directly and honestly, and are not unafraid to tell each other what we think.”

Tuchel went on to explain how he knew that he could not change the defender’s mind.

“You ask me maybe what I did to convince him, Toni is not a guy you need to take out for 10 dinners and 12 coffees to talk him into something. He has strong opinions, that is a part of his personality, he demands clarity and honesty and of course trust.

“He is very low maintenance. He was a big player. I was disappointed, but not on a personal level. It is his right to figure out what opportunities he had, it is his right to change club. I did not like it, he knows we do not like it.

“I would have liked him to stay, he could have been a big figure, but still, these things happen, we are on good terms, and he needs to finish on the same level he started.”

Tuchel also confirmed that Rudiger returned to training on Tuesday, having missed Chelsea’s last two matches with groin and hamstring issues, but needed approval from doctors to play against United.

Chelsea are third in the Premier League, 15 points behind leaders Manchester City, and five points ahead of fourth place Arsenal, who they hold a game in hand over.

Could Chelsea have done more to convince Rudiger to sign?

Chelsea felt that giving Rudiger £230,000-a-week was a significant figure and were optimistic it would meet his requirements. This proposal was made weeks before the sanctions hit.

But what made the agreement much harder to finalise was that Rudiger’s agent wanted a large signing on fee for himself and the player. It is thought that would have added tens of millions to the overall figure, putting Rudiger out of Chelsea’s reach.

The Athletic has learned that other clubs keen on Rudiger suggested they were willing to meet those demands at the time. However, Rudiger was still hopeful some middle ground could be found and it wasn’t the end of the matter as far as he was concerned.

But no-one could have predicted what would happen to Abramovich and the club being put up for sale at that point.

Which club is Rudiger likely to sign for?

There have been reports in Italy that Real Madrid are confident of signing Rudiger but he has not decided his destination yet.

Barcelona, Juventus, Paris Saint Germain, Manchester United and Bayern Munich are still in contention.

The latter’s interest had appeared to decrease earlier in the year but their defeat to Villarreal in the Champions League Quarter Final has led to them resuming their pursuit.

What does this news mean for Chelsea’s other defenders?

With Andreas Christensen expected to join Barcelona on a free transfer — his contract also expires this summer and no extension has been agreed — it means Tuchel is losing two international centre backs from his squad.

There is real concern captain Cesar Azpilicueta will make it a hat-trick despite a 12-month option being triggered in his contract earlier this year after playing a certain amount of games this season.

Barcelona still want to sign the 32-year-old and are prepared to give him a longer deal.

Go Deeper

Rudiger’s exit will hang like a cloud over Chelsea – he is arguably their player of the season

https://theathletic.com/3268995/2022/04/24/rudigers-exit-will-hang-like-a-cloud-over-Chelsea-he-is-arguably-their-player-of-the-season/

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 17:  Antonio Rudiger of Chelsea applauds the fans after The FA Cup Semi-Final match between Chelsea and Crystal Palace at Wembley Stadium on April 17, 2022 in London, England. (Photo by Craig Mercer/MB Media/Getty Images)

There was something about Antonio Rudiger’s operatic anger at the final whistle at Santiago Bernabeu earlier in April — falling to the floor with head in hands, getting up and shoving away David Alaba’s attempts to console him, then throwing himself down again and furiously beating the turf with his fists — that reinforced the notion this moment was coming.

Rudiger has been moving steadily towards leaving Chelsea for several months, and knowledge of that reality informed his reaction to the realisation in Madrid that a Champions League-winning farewell was no longer on the table. Speaking with weary resignation after Sunday’s late win over West Ham at Stamford Bridge, Thomas Tuchel confirmed the news that The Athletic and many other outlets had reported 24 hours earlier.

“He informed me some days ago in a personal talk,” Tuchel told Sky Sports. “I have the feeling that we gave everything over many months — me personally, and also the club — but then we entered into a situation where we could not fight anymore because of the sanctions (imposed by the UK government on Roman Abramovich’s assets), and Toni said he will leave the club in the summer.”

Rudiger was in attendance at Stamford Bridge, sitting just behind the home dugout in jeans and a t-shirt as Chelsea struggled to break down a makeshift but stubborn West Ham. He grew more animated with the rest of the home bench as the second half wore on, and appeared to bring a passionate response out of Tuchel in the moments after Jorginho spurned a glorious chance to win the game by hitting a tame penalty straight at Lukasz Fabianski.

That determination to speak his mind hasn’t endeared Rudiger to all of his Chelsea coaches, but Tuchel bonded with his countryman almost immediately after arriving at Stamford Bridge in January 2021 and harnessed his strength of personality to the benefit of the team. “He’s a huge influence in the dressing room,” Tuchel added. “He’s the guy to give other people courage. He’s the guy that everybody is a bit afraid of.

“But let’s focus on sports: he’s the guy to play 50, 55 games of 90 minutes on an outstanding level. He was the top defender in the last one and a half years with me and I have nothing but respect for what he did. He needs to keep on going until the end, but then we need to find another solution.”

Rudiger has a busy week ahead: The Athletic reported on Saturday that he plans to pick his next club in the coming days, while Tuchel hopes he will be ready to rejoin first-team training at Cobham on Tuesday after missing the West Ham game with discomfort in his groin and hamstring. That timeframe would put him in contention to return on Thursday when Chelsea travel to Old Trafford to take on Manchester United — one of the clubs who have registered an interest in him.

Tuchel is adamant that Rudiger’s focus for the remainder of the campaign is not in question. “He has no doubts and he made no doubts about it that he will play until the end of the season with everything he has,” Chelsea’s head coach said in his post-match news conference. “This is what he did from day one and this is what he will do until the last minute, I’m 100 per cent sure of that.”

But this will hang like a cloud over Chelsea, and on the sale process that is dragging in its final phase. Rudiger has a case to be considered the club’s player of the season, and has legitimately performed at the level of Europe’s best defenders since Tuchel arrived at Stamford Bridge. It is the reason many of the continent’s biggest clubs have sounded out his agent and brother Sahr Senesie over the past year, and why this summer’s free agency was always such a financially enticing prospect.

Chelsea made Rudiger a vastly improved offer in February, just before the sanctions imposed on Abramovich, and any new owners would surely have felt huge PR pressure to make one of their first acts keeping him at Stamford Bridge. He and his camp could have waited for that possible eventuality, but they have decided they are not willing to do so. That is their right, and deciding now rather than later to leave is unlikely to see him lose in either a sporting or monetary sense.

For a long time, Tuchel and Rudiger were committed to one another, to maintaining an alliance that had helped turn Chelsea for a time into arguably Europe’s best defensive team. The only positive in their amicable parting is that Tuchel remains committed to the club, even if that means committing to the current situation: the overwhelming uncertainty and the stifling fatigue, fed as much by the sluggishness of developments off the pitch as by stuttering results on it.

Christian Pulisic’s late winner against West Ham consolidated third place in the Premier League without doing anything to dispel the notion that Chelsea, and Tuchel, are stumbling towards the end of the season. Perhaps they can summon one final effort for next month’s FA Cup final against Liverpool, but the overriding impression is of a club and coach that just want this exhausting campaign to be over.

The problem with that is the summer will bring a whole new world of challenges — with replacing Rudiger sitting very near the top of a formidably long list.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently has signed the Real Madrid contract. 315k pw. 

410 mill release clause.

That last one feels like a slap in the face.

As if to show us the true worth of the player.

Love Rudiger, but tempted to see Madrid make a fool of themselves again.

Just now, Blue Armour said:

Apparently has signed the Real Madrid contract. 315k pw. 

410 mill release clause.

That last one feels like a slap in the face.

As if to show us the true worth of the player.

Love Rudiger, but tempted to see Madrid make a fool of themselves again.

The release clause is always an over inflated joke for Barca and Madrid players ever since Barca lost Neymar over one.

Disappointing to lose him but I wouldn't expect the club paying that sort of money to keep him to be honest. We move forwards without him. The key is getting the right replacement in. It doesn't even need to be someone that portrays Rudiger's characteristics. I'd be happy with a defender good on the ball but defensively solid and comfortable playing a 3 or 4 man defence.

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The release clause is always an over inflated joke for Barca and Madrid players ever since Barca lost Neymar over one.

Disappointing to lose him but I wouldn't expect the club paying that sort of money to keep him to be honest. We move forwards without him. The key is getting the right replacement in. It doesn't even need to be someone that portrays Rudiger's characteristics. I'd be happy with a defender good on the ball but defensively solid and comfortable playing a 3 or 4 man defence.

Agrees. Needs to be someone with a good amount of pace too.

That was one of Rudigers strengths IMO. Ability to recover.

Rüdigers character can never be replaced, but that's where I'm looking to our homegrown players to step in and step up.

I think T Silva has actually helped him improve as well TT. 

If anyone the one that needs true replacement is Silva, because he has been solid since coming. So sad that he is not any younger. 

Next season should be Silva last season, so looking to see if anyone we buy can start taking that role. 

• 2 weeks later...