Antonio Rudiger

Cholo

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Whilst I'm disappointed to lose him, it'll be interesting to see how Rudiger does at Madrid (assuming that is where he moves to). 

He was good under Conte, especially later in the season and he's obviously been exceptional under Tuchel but in a back 4 for both Chelsea and Germany I think he's been decent at best and abysmal at worst. 

There is a very real possibility he's a system player. Now don't get me wrong in our system he's proven to be bloody important but I don't think he's the same player in a back 4. He can be prone to switching off, he can be rash and over-aggressive at times with his defending and one of his strengths is being a spare man in attack to drive the ball from deep. On the side of a back 3 it helps limit his weaknesses and highlights that strength to his game. In a back 4 I think those weaknesses can be more noticeable. I believe @Vesper mentioned similar traits in Kounde's game and although I haven't seen too much of him, from what I have seen I would agree but I think he's a similar sort of player that would benefit from playing in a back 3 rather than a back 4.

Ultimately it's raw now, but we will find a way to replace him. We've continued to win trophies after bigger players have left the club in recent years. I think the biggest concern is we are going into the unknown with the ownership. In previous years, I wouldn't have had much concern that the club would look at bringing in a couple of highly rated centre backs. We just have to see what sort of budget will be made available for next year because if Tuchel plans to continue with the current system we almost certainly need 2 centre backs, a competent backup to James at right wing back and preferably a top centre midfielder.

2 good CBs would be a dream. Im just hoping we sign at least one good CB.

We probably won't be able to pay the price for him, but would Declan Rice be able to play a Rudiger type role as an extra man in a 3 CB defense? If RLC can play wing back, I don't see why Rice can't play a rampaging CB ala Rudiger. He's played as a regular CB too.

13 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

We probably won't be able to pay the price for him, but would Declan Rice be able to play a Rudiger type role as an extra man in a 3 CB defense? If RLC can play wing back, I don't see why Rice can't play a rampaging CB ala Rudiger. He's played as a regular CB too.

I'm not against us potentially buying Rice in a season or two when his contract starts to wind down but (1) I don't think he's worth pursuing this summer for the sort of money West Ham will demand, and (2) for that sort of money, I'd play him where he's proven in midfield and not have a project in mind for him as a centre back. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

My only hope is he's choosing a move abroad. Seeing him play for another domestic rival would be outrageous.

There's been talk of United being interested but Rudiger wouldn't consider them not being in the Champions League.

The signals seem to point fully to Madrid, but unfortunately if it's true that we offered up to £230k a week and he still turned it down wanting more money, then there's always the chance he looks to the biggest offer on the table and I wouldn't be surprised if United made that offer given their track record of the types of wages they'll pay.

5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The signals seem to point fully to Madrid, but unfortunately if it's true that we offered up to £230k a week and he still turned it down wanting more money, then there's always the chance he looks to the biggest offer on the table and I wouldn't be surprised if United made that offer given their track record of the types of wages they'll pay.

It wasn't just his wages that were a problem, his cohorts wanted a massive singing on fee, and the demand of his agents fee.

I don't know the figures but no matter what they were i'm glad Chelsea told him and them to go fuck themselves.

Edited by bigbluewillie

1 hour ago, bigbluewillie said:

It wasn't just his wages that were a problem, his cohorts wanted a massive singing on fee, and the demand of his agents fee.

I don't know the figures but no matter what they were i'm glad Chelsea told him and them to go fuck themselves.

Yeah handing Rudiger what he wants is a slippery slope. It will be common for players to run down contracts and take signing on fees in the future. But there's no need to put the club in a bad position for one desperate deal.

Even Rudiger - for all his qualities - is replaceable.

12 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

disappointed to see him leave but not sad. If Chelsea meant as much to him as to us he would have chosen to stay here over the money. He could have become a legend possibly but was nothing more a decent servant.

I guess his head was turned by all those huge sign-n fees Realhands out to free agents.

Also tbh, the squad Vardrid is building with mbappe is an exciting project. I very much hope they will fail again

fuck Vardrid and their galacticos policy, dont allow them anywhere near our academy products.

Edited by Johnnyeye

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

they are so coming for Reece, m8

🤬

fuck them, we are not a feeder club, let them produce their own players. The thing that might play in our favour regarding the young players is the fact they won the CL with their boyhood club and will want to reach legend status here. Lets just hope

Rudiger and Christensen can fuck off to Spain

Edited by Johnnyeye

12 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Hopefully a marquee signing (that we must get right) and Colwill's return.

Rudiger will flop at Madrid. They don't play with 3 CBs at the back... and Rudiger cannot play in a back 4. He is shocking in a back 4 with only 1 CB to fall back on. 

He was at fault for a few of the goals against Madrid.. his positioning was hurrendous. 

Trust me, he will flop. And I can't wait to watch it.

Edited by DDA

9 minutes ago, DDA said:

Rudiger will flop at Madrid. They don't play with 3 CBs at the back... and Rudiger cannot play in a back 4. He is shocking in a back 4 with only 1 CB to fall back on. 

He was at fault for a few of the goals against Madrid.. his positioning was hurrendous. 

Trust me, he will flop. And I can't wait to watch it.

I felt unless we were going all in on the title next season a mega contract for a 29 year old who heavily relies on pace would be a hell of a gamble.

It's more annoying due to the culmination of CBs leaving in the past year than anything else.

I think we'll actually feel the loss of Christensen in ways just as much as Rudiger.

Christensen is the only other player who currently looks comfortable playing in the middle besides Silva, which potentially creates an issue next season as not only do we really need to find 2 centre backs that will flank Silva but we also need probably one of them to be able to deputise and maybe even replace Silva after next season in the same way Christensen had been. 

what makes it a bit easier to take is that we have a carbon copy of young Rüdiger in Trev. He has the same kind of pace and athleticism. Yes he is still erratic but so was Rüdiger at that age - even worse tbh. Rüdiger need until his mid 20ies to become good and only became world class a year ago.

There might be short time repercussions and is highly improbable we are gonna be challenging for the title next season but long term this will turn out to be the right decision