The Conte Thread

8 hours ago, The Mak said:

If Mikel played the same role Matic did today, we probably wouldn't hear the end of it (from some) until next season. He'd get to live off a performance like that for another year.

What role? He had none. He could have been sent off and I don't think it would have made any difference to the game whatsoever. 

If Mikel had had that same performance as Matic yesterday people would be calling for him to be assassinated on here. 

I f8cking love his passion. Something I hope he will transfer to the players and he is doing that successfully so far.
Also I like that he prepared the team really well and is not afraid of making bid decisions. We needed a guy like him.

12 hours ago, The Skipper said:

I think Conte is waiting to get in defenders that can deal with or mask Fabregas' liability defensively before he plays Fab in that role. That makes sense to me anyway. 

That's one to look at it and to be honest I hadnt considered that. It does make sense. But one weak link in midfield is one too many.

Got to watch the match in a calmer way without being mad and annoyed of thinking of last season debacle. 

And I have to say there is some good improvement. 

Good enough to make top 4? Yes. 

But good enough to win the tittle? Right now too hard to tell. I do hope we end buying some quality players before the window closes. Instead of more Hecto and Papys....

1 minute ago, Fernando said:

Got to watch the match in a calmer way without being mad and annoyed of thinking of last season debacle. 

And I have to say there is some good improvement. 

Good enough to make top 4, yes. 

But good enough to win the tittle? Right now too hard to tell. I do hope we end buying some quality players before the window closes. Instead of more Hecto and Papys....

And putting Pedro on with just 10 mins to go instead of putting Cuadrado on the bench then sticking him on and taking Wilian off at half time!

Willian hasn't been himself all pre season IMHO whereas Cuadrado is full of confidence and is better in attack. Same same with Moses. Didn't understand that unless Eden was gasping. But Moses will be goodor us this season. Id lie to see us with a Moses-Costa-Bats-Cuadradu at some stage (unless of course Lukaku comes)

22 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Two strikers for about 8 minutes plus injury time. We've seen that a zillion times haven't we?

But not with this team. It's an alien concept!

20 hours ago, James said:

To be fair Jose would often throw on another striker if we were losing or badly needed the win, but the thing is that when he did it - it felt forced, the players weren't sure how to setup and the team was unbalanced, basically just asking to be countered. Conte has actually trained using the 4-4-2/4-2-4 formation with the squad already, they know their roles and duties so it's most definitely not foreign territory to them anymore. It's so refreshing knowing we can play two different systems if need be. 

The only time we appeared to have a genuine plan when changing formation to chase the win was in that home win against PSG 2 years ago.