The Mourinho Thread

As good as the results have been we're beyond awful to watch at the moment. We're at the point of the season where style hardly matters and only points matter but I don't think I can stomach another season of some of the turgid stuff we've played next year.

People will blame it on the strikers but even the 04-07 teams were pretty ordinary to watch aside from Robben aside. I don't think anyone would describe his Inter & Real Madrid teams as entertaining either.

Mourinho is one of the best managers of all time but does he have it in him to finally build not only a dominant team but an entertaining side like all the other managerial greats have? That's the only thing anyone can really hold against him.

I long for a repeat of the 09-10 season again. Champagne football throughout. We're not far off from the squad to play that style of football either.

As good as the results have been we're beyond awful to watch at the moment. We're at the point of the season where style hardly matters and only points matter but I don't think I can stomach another season of some of the turgid stuff we've played next year.

People will blame it on the strikers but even the 04-07 teams were pretty ordinary to watch aside from Robben aside. I don't think anyone would describe his Inter & Real Madrid teams as entertaining either.

Mourinho is one of the best managers of all time but does he have it in him to finally build not only a dominant team but an entertaining side like all the other managerial greats have? That's the only thing anyone can really hold against him.

I long for a repeat of the 09-10 season again. Champagne football throughout. We're not far off from the squad to play that style of football either.

To watch 90 minutes of entertaining football and end up with a 1-1 result

or

To watch a shitty first half followed by a slaughter of the other team in the 2nd half

Ill go with the 2nd choice here.

Football isnt just entertaining to see a player dribble. The technique of flawless defending and quick counters is also lovely to watch. Plus I dont think we're playing boring. Sure might not be Bayern-class, but I guess everyone has different opinions and taste.

or

To watch a shitty first half followed by a slaughter of the other team in the 2nd half

I'll go with the third choice: 90 minutes of entertaining football while trashing the other team 5-0! :Goober:

Kind of ironic that our back 4 costs next to nothing in context with other top teams, we are meant to be one of the team in Europe that buy most expensive players yet our back line costs:

Ivan 7m Cahill 7m Terry free Dave 10m so 25m max in total

Barca got Alves alone who is 30m, Silva alone for PSG is 40m, Madrid as well and others. Only City can rival us in this area but still Nastasic costs 16m alone himself. So it is really kind of ironic that one of the best defence in Europe costs much less than other teams, who says we can't find bargain?

Iva came for 10mil and azpi for 7mil

This. Some people don't like hearing doses of truth like that but the quality of football has been dire. I'm sorry but it has. Having said that though, given that we haven't been competitive in the league for a while now, I think it's fine that we're 'scrapping by'.

It's unrealistic to expect Mourinho to take a team that hasn't consistently been performing well & expect him to turn them into this side that can pick up results while playing entertaining football within the span of 8 months. Moving forward though, the quality of football simply has to improve. It's not just for entertainment purposes but also because we've invested a lot of money on flair players like Hazard, Oscar and Willian.

What's the point on bringing in all these skillful players only to display the football we did in the first half against Spurs?

We're not maximizing their potential.

So I think our performances this season has been fine given where we're coming from but if we continue to play like this next season, then yes that's a problem. We're in a financial position to be able to challenge for trophies while displaying quality football. Not having these excuses of " what would you rather have....champagne football or winning". Please, that's such bull.

We have had games this season were we have played some great games with good football, Hull at home, Liverpool at home, Southampton away and the second half vs them at SB, Newcastle at home, Stoke at home, even West Ham whenwe cut through them at will but Adrian had the game off his life. Was Schurrle and Hazard's link up play vs Fulham turgid and boring?

We should be playing a bit better on a more consistent basis maybe, but we tried to change the style under RDM but had to go back to type after going on our worst run off results for over a decade. Despite this misguided fantasy we played great attacking football under Rafa, we didn't.
Jose's first task was to get more consistent results and get us playing like a team again, pretty 1-2's and fancy flicks can wait.

I'd rather have a team that molds in to a situation. One that demolishes less potent oponents with style and gets sturdy to the Bayerns and Barca's of the world ... and Jose is capable of building such a team, I hope/believe ;)

or

Football isnt just entertaining to see a player dribble. The technique of flawless defending and quick counters is also lovely to watch. Plus I dont think we're playing boring. Sure might not be Bayern-class, but I guess everyone has different opinions and taste.

As a spectator who wants entertainment from the beginning, this sucks.

As a fan I could care less as long as we win.

So the middle of the road....don't watch the first half! :P

As a spectator who wants entertainment from the beginning, this sucks.

As a fan I could care less as long as we win.

So the middle of the road....don't watch the first half! :P

Or sometime the game will be over in the 1st 15 mins like Liverpool against Arsenal :ph34r:

With Mou we're never going to have majestic games like Bayern or Barca's style. Because the meat and potatoes of our system all season has been to make the other team play like shit. We force them to pull out all the tricks in their bag too early and then they have nothing to surprise us. Mou makes great guesses at where the danger is going to come from and we set up barricades. The foundation of our standing in the league right now is built on how we've made every team (practically) play their worst game of the season. We set out to troll the other team first, I think our lack luster attacking at times is just a symptom of everyone getting used to the demanding system. I don't think we're actually as bad at creating and attacking as we think or as the stats show us. If our finishing was world class we would be much closer to City in goal difference. We don't need massive changes, next season we'll come out the gates with a rocket up our asses.