The Mourinho Thread

the guy contradicts himself when he says Mourinho will never enter the story as a revolutionary manager, then literally half a dozen lines below he says Mourinho contributed to bringing England into the modern world of football by leaving 4-2-2 behind them. Talk about not knowing where to stand about it.

Now tell me how many managers from earlier 2000 or maybe prior to the 90's are talked til these days because they've changed the world of football and not because of the success they reached. Normally those changes happen in a larger scale than one manager doing it - and it's only natural it happens like that. Whether people want to admit it or not, only romantic idealistic people go on and on about managers who changed the sport individually.

We talk a lot about the Netherlands in the 70's, we talk a lot about Brazil and Germany or Italy with her very peculiar styles, but we talk much less about managers behind those teams - in the long term like 8-10 years after their retirement or departure from the teams. When I look to football now I can't pinpoint a manager who changed it into what is now. I can see managers like Guardiola that were very successful in reliving a style that has been abandoned by decades and improved it, but I'll always look to Spain as a reference that made it popular rather than Guardiola, but maybe that's just me.

It’s also worth considering Petr Cech’s role in the side. An excellent ‘pure’ keeper but not particularly adept at sweeping off his line or distributing the ball (Chelsea’s passing from the back under Villas-Boas was poor because Cech looked so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet), Mourinho’s return has been good for the Czech international.

this is true and something I haven't thought before.

What Chelsea may lack, however, is a true deep-lying playmaker, a long-standing problem that became particularly obvious last year – when sides could concentrate on minimising the space between the lines for Chelsea’s three attackers, and be relatively relaxed about the threat upfront, or from deep in midfield. Neither Ramires nor Lampard provide particularly incisive passing from that zone, and Chelsea may find themselves increasingly presented with the ball in deep midfield positions, unable to thread an initial pass into the final third.

that's the transition problem I was talking about in my article. Luiz is doing this because Lamps and especially Ramires lack vision to make a more incisive transition. Good to know I'm not the only analyzer that thinks this is a huge problem for us. While Luiz makes up for the problem partially, he isn't sharp on it as much as a DLP would be. He may be in a couple of years, especially working under Mourinho, but we need our pivot to do better until we finally have a real DLP.

all in all a decent article, but I think he analyzed the matches and didn't offer anything about what he sees this team doing from now on. It could be because it was too early or because he isn't sure and doesn't want to make a mistake that will be busted a month later.

I disagree more than I agree with his three paragraphs in the conclusion - especially when he highlights how exciting were both AVB and Robbie's plans (who thinks that in the first place, lol?). He's wrong in his assessment that Mourinho will have players to adapt to him rather him adapting to players. He wants all his players to have impressive work-rates - that was the only problem he had with Mata for example - and once they all are committed to the team like that, Mourinho will build a team that explores his players best assets. He would be dumb to do otherwise.

Also I don't see Mourinho changing his strategies as many times as he suggests (from match to match). I can see him changing his plan during matches - as he did against Norwich - because things aren't working out as he expected. But I don't see us having completely different game plans depending on the opponent as often as he suggests. So far we've seen it a few times, but the way we approached the game against Spurs - especially in the second half - was very different from the way we approached ManU.

The thing is this team is still in the early stages of philosophy consolidation and as the players seem to struggle at times to execute the plan, Mourinho will find himself needing to change strategies during the matches for a while until the plan settles in. I see it happening for 4-6 months, but let's say from Jan-Feb on his team will change strategies much less - except of course in games against big forces in Europe - because the tactics will have already been absorbed by the players.

Now I really liked some of the articles he linked in his article. Also good reads - especially André's.

Ramires may lack the passing vision to make incisive transition,but passing is not the only way to make incisive transition ,he can do it with powerful running and his ability to break up play by dispossesing the opposition and springing counter attacks . The Lamaprd /Ramires goal in the Nou Camp was the greatest evidence of this I can supply.

There was no greater example of transition from defence to attack than this. With Lampards pass being incisive and Ramires powerful run also fitting that category.

Ramires may lack the passing vision to make incisive transition,but passing is not the only way to make incisive transition ,he can do it with powerful running and his ability to break up play by dispossesing the opposition and springing counter attacks . The Lamaprd /Ramires goal in the Nou Camp was the greatest evidence of this I can supply.

There was no greater example of transition from defence to attack than this. With Lampards pass being incisive and Ramires powerful run also fitting that category.

and how many times does that happen in every and each of our matches? We aren't counter-attack based - yet or ever is yet to know be known - so a play that happens once in a while doesn't make up for the everyday lack of action from out pivot into making us more objective and narrow.

José Mourinho interview: I want players who are made in Chelsea

"I enjoy playing at home, feeling the Chelsea fans' passion, that they are happy to have me on their side; but I also enjoy playing away and feeling the opponents support their own team, giving me that 'hostility'. It's a 'pure hostility'. It's not aggressive. If Chelsea fans at Norwich are singing: 'José Mourinho', and the other guys sing: 'Fuck off Mourinho', I don't think it's aggressive hostility. It's better than them ignoring me. If, one day, I was Norwich manager, they'd be singing my name too. It's pure. You go, for example, to countries like Spain and when they say: 'Hijo de puta Portugues [Portuguese son of a bitch]', you know it's a deep feeling. A real hatred. They mean it. Here, even the hostility is different. More tongue in cheek. When I'm not winning I'm 'not special any more'. I understand that and I like it."

^ Loved this part from Mourinho, it confirmed how I already perceived his attitude to english fans. We have far more advanced humour than most countries, hence why british comedy has been so innovative & influential, it's a cultural thing that translates to the terraces.

^ Loved this part from Mourinho, it confirmed how I already perceived his attitude to english fans. We have far more advanced humour than most countries, hence why british comedy has been so innovative & influential, it's a cultural thing that translates to the terraces.

Yeah as you said it's a cultural thing that has to do a lot with education, culture and class.

Similar to USA, where you have the banter in the stadium but tends to be respectful. Not like in Spain where it tends to get way out of hand or Italy.

Another one is Germany. I think in Germany is one of the most respectful culture I seen for a big country.