The Mourinho Thread

The league is the true test of you good you are and how well managed the club is. We have effectively conceded the last two league titles by early winter. We are so off the pace it's shocking. The Champions League is a cup competition and not a barometer of how good you are. Anything can happen as was proven last year when we are arguably one of the worst luckiest teams to ever win the competition. We finished nearly 30 points behind the two Manchester clubs. How many young players have we had out on loan before only for them to never get a look-in? It's just we now have more of them out on loan. That doesn't indicate any sort of plan but points towards more waste of resources.

I'm not sure who is out there but I'm just saying Mourinho is a gamble and his history shows it will end in tears sooner rather than later. To expect him and Roman + his yes man to magically work well together all of a sudden doesn't take into account the trends of both. Nothing has changed both personally and professionally. Mourinho still has a massive ego and personality issues as proven by his Madrid stint and Roman is still a rash owner as proven by his last 2-3 years.

I've long said that we weren't being run properly in the early days of Roman's time, but I've seen certain signs that we are trying to build something that can maintain success. Unfortunately the Torres deal and the inability to find a long-term manager has impeded any meaningful steps forward. I disagree with the idea that we've wasted resources on the young players that we've loaned out. There are a few there who have the potential to be first-team members for years to come which wasn't the case a few years back.

You're right it doesn't take into the trends of both men, but I think you're overlooking an important thing - they're humans.

They have the ability to learn and change their ways, especially when faced with adversity and disappointment. Jose is an older man now. He's won in Portugal, he's won in Spain, he's won in Italy....men change when faced with no more lands to conquer. Their priorities change. Roman finally seems to know what he wants, and if Jose thinks he can do that then we may finally have some stability at the club.

I've long said that we weren't being run properly in the early days of Roman's time, but I've seen certain signs that we are trying to build something that can maintain success. Unfortunately the Torres deal and the inability to find a long-term manager has impeded any meaningful steps forward. I disagree with the idea that we've wasted resources on the young players that we've loaned out. There are a few there who have the potential to be first-team members for years to come which wasn't the case a few years back.

You're right it doesn't take into the trends of both men, but I think you're overlooking an important thing - they're humans.

They have the ability to learn and change their ways, especially when faced with adversity and disappointment. Jose is an older man now. He's won in Portugal, he's won in Spain, he's won in Italy....men change when faced with no more lands to conquer. Their priorities change. Roman finally seems to know what he wants, and if Jose thinks he can do that then we may finally have some stability at the club.

But can you imagine Mourinho coming back and trying to integrate even 2 or 3 of them next season? I can't. Kalas? Chalobah? McEachran? Piazon? Lukaku? Maybe even Feruz? You can forget all about them while Mourinho is in charge. This is a manager who has proven he has no desire or eye for academy players. You are placing a lot of stock in something that Mourinho has proven throughout his career that he has very little time for.

But can you imagine Mourinho coming back and trying to integrate even 2 or 3 of them next season? I can't. Kalas? Chalobah? McEachran? Piazon? Lukaku? Maybe even Feruz? You can forget all about them while Mourinho is in charge. This is a manager who has proven he has no desire or eye for academy players. You are placing a lot of stock in something that Mourinho has proven throughout his career that he has very little time for.

If Mourinho does come back he'll understand that the way we do things has changed. In his last stint here there really weren't any players who stood out like the ones you've mentioned have.

Who else would you suggest?

If Mourinho does come back he'll understand that the way we do things has changed. In his last stint here there really weren't any players who stood out like the ones you've mentioned have.

Who else would you suggest?

That's the thing...I don't know! But maybe if we had enough football people who can do a satisfactory amount of keepy-uppies at board level we could go about identifying a manager that is competent with developing and integrating young players and is able to produce an organised and skilful football team. We're just going for the easy option here when there are numerous factors that indicate it's not a good move. This might sound drastic but this is equivalent to 50m on Torres. Sounds great in theory but look a little deeper and it's not that good at all.

I'm almost certain that Mourinho isn't interested in guys like De Bruyne when these are the guys we are supposedly building our future around.

That's the thing...I don't know! But maybe if we had enough football people who can do a satisfactory amount of keepy-uppies at board level we could go about identifying a manager that is competent with developing and integrating young players and is able to produce an organised and skilful football team. We're just going for the easy option here when there are numerous factors that indicate it's not a good move. This might sound drastic but this is equivalent to 50m on Torres. Sounds great in theory but look a little deeper and it's not that good at all.

I'm almost certain that Mourinho isn't interested in guys like De Bruyne when these are the guys we are supposedly building our future around.

That sounds like Andre Vill.....oh wait.

There are reasons to say he's the wrong guy but there are so many positives, besides the fact that he just feels right. He feels like Chelsea. He's got that Kings Road swagger that Benitez really doesn't.

Maybe we could look at Gus or Blanc or whoever, but they're all gambles.

That sounds like Andre Vill.....oh wait.

There are reasons to say he's the wrong guy but there are so many positives, besides the fact that he just feels right. He feels like Chelsea. He's got that Kings Road swagger that Benitez really doesn't.

Maybe we could look at Gus or Blanc or whoever, but they're all gambles.

AVB was all talk. The man was a complete charlatan. His Porto team still won when he left and this Tottenham team are no better than they were under Harry. You can argue the only thing he was good at was his use of technical jargon and that is probably what did it for the club when they hired him. I too was intrigued by his technical talk at first but you saw very little of it put into practise.

I'm going to say David Moyes or Roberto Martinez. Those two are my ideal candidates.

The question here would be has Mourinho changed and would he adapt to our philosophy? So far i havent recollect him giving youth (academy kids) a chance to shine in more or less his entire tenure.

Dont get me wrong, i m a huge fan of Jose and always would be, i would dance with joy if he comes to the Bridge again but like i said before there is a part of me who wouldnt want him here because then we go back into the same loop from where we started the Roman era.

AVB was all talk. The man was a complete charlatan. His Porto team still won when he left and this Tottenham team are no better than they were under Harry. You can argue the only thing he was good at was his use of technical jargon and that is probably what did it for the club when they hired him. I too was intrigued by his technical talk at first but you saw very little of it put into practise.

I'm going to say David Moyes or Roberto Martinez. Those two are my ideal candidates.

Martinez is a fair shout, although he's never had to deal with the pressures of a big club. Moyes is a good manager but I'm not entirely sure what type of football we'd be playing next year if he came in.

1. this really scares me.

2. However, there are a number of variables we have no idea of

In the psychological/motivational department the choice for Mourinho is very logical. His relationship with the board is a black box. We can guess, but nothing more. If he gets to be asked back, I am sure they will make better and clearer agreements then before.

The same should count for our young ones. Oscar, KDB, Lukaku, Josh, Chalobah, .... We took an exit from buying established players 'strategy wise' for the coming years, so I am - relatively - confident this issue will also be adressed.

All in all, to guard the team from getting damage that cannot be undone anymore, Mourinho is a good option (maybe not a very long term one, but that's an imposibility with Roman as well :-).

you have hit the nail on the head. I feel Roman will not give complete control to Jose and I believe Jose would demand that. So we will continue with a meddling board snooping and obeying instructions from the owner.

you're club owner, surely you have a say in it?! ;)

I doubt he will ever come back, especially at the moment, what the hell will he come here for?.

We have no good players for any position, it's a messed up team, I've never seen a team with so much unbalance in my whole life, why would Mourinho go here. He could probably get a better job elsewhere if he doesn't want to go to Madrid.

Martinez is a fair shout, although he's never had to deal with the pressures of a big club. Moyes is a good manager but I'm not entirely sure what type of football we'd be playing next year if he came in.

Because we have sacked so many we now find ourselves in a position where we can no longer attract the top names. Guardiola was by far the number one choice, the club would have moved heaven and earth to sign him and he turned us down. We now have to pick managers who want to make that next step up like AVB in Martinez, perhaps Moyes or the unemployed like Benitez.

Mourinho is rare in that he will only manage a select few clubs. He has said he wants to return to England. Man Utd have Ferguson so that isn't available, City have Mancini sitting on a five-year contract so that only leaves us. This deal only makes sense because he's desperate to leave Madrid and we're out of options. It would be a marriage of convenience more than anything else and that can only last so long.

When you say 'let Jose bring in his own people to deal with scouting', do you mean we should get rid of the entire scouting network? Has it not done a good job in bringing in young talent? Is two Youth Cups in three years not evidence that we have good youth but struggle to implement them into the first team? Have our signings in the last 18 months not suggested we have a pretty good network?

As for letting the academy manager manage, what if he wants to play a different style to the first-team coach? Do we just let him manage or do we need someone who actually makes sure that everyone at the club is working towards the same ideas, and shouldn't that person be a long-term appointment and probably not a coach who struggles to stay at clubs for longer than 3 years?

What's your opinion of Emenalo based on? Sorry if it sounds harsh but people seem to keep bringing up 'the board' and those in between the coach and the owner, but I wonder how much of it actually has any basis in reality.

Answers in order of your queries: Let Jose or any competent Manager/Coach assess that. The Youth Development has been fine through to the end of the'Youth' period. I'd ask you this, how many have developed into First Team regulars at either Chelsea or any other top dozen PL clubs, I suspect you'll know the answer to this, but answer it for me anyway. You'll have your answer as to how well the 'system' is working in producing First-Team players for us. I can only think of one in the last 7-8 seasons. Therefore any 'system' we may have is worth reviewing?

If you never try, you'll never know, if Jose pisses off again after three years how much worse off do you think we'd be than we are now, with a good D of F in place, not an Arnesen or Grant or an Emenalo but a person with that has the club at heart, I'd doubt we'd be any worse place than we are now and probably alot better. There's been too many people willing to take chunks of Roman's money without offering enough back. How many of the top eight clubs in England would Emenalo get a job at, do you think he'd get the Man City job, would SAF take him on, how about Moyes at Everton, Rodgers at L'Pool, Wenger at Arsenal - Again, and I'm not having a go, tell me where he'd get the same gig. Roman's been taken for a bit of a fool in football by people he's put trust in.

I think the clubs signings have been OK, however they've missed out big-time in some key areas - a replacement for Makelele, Essien, a Right-Back and Two Forwards. So in my view they've lacked depth of vision, albeit picking up Mata (superb), Hazard and Oscar (promising), 'Dave' - the jury's still out for me.

If your desired goal is to have all squad's playing the same way then the Manager dictates the terms, not the Youth-Team Coach, tail wagging dog!

My opinion is based on what I perceive and I hear, you haven't offered your opinion yet, what's yours and why?