The Mourinho Thread

Good point. You bring in a manager in the summer and he'll need at least that summer, most likely longer, to asses the quality of the squad and areas in need of strengthening. You find a manager in the coming weeks and he can already set targets for the summer.

Looks like they're giving Mourinho the season to assess.

Expect more tall players in the summer.

Since Roman took over, we have only been an attacking team for few stretches of a season before it starts to wane.

Mourinho's first spell when he had a fully fit Robben/Duff and Joe Cole with Drogs/Eidur up front. This only lasted until 2006/2007 after which we sold Robben and brought in Malouda. Under Scolari we were briefly attacking again and we put in some great matches up until December where we lost the plot in the dressing room. I wouldn't consider us an attacking under Hiddink (we were moderate and effective) and under AVB we were clueless most of the time. Amcelotti's first season was great (probably the closest we've come to a whole season of attacking football) but his second was really frustrating.

Robbie came in after AVB and swept up the defense clean which helped us win the FA Cup and the Holy Grail. Robbie's second season was unfortunate, he started brightly then a freak result against United and a certain Clattenbug undid us and we never recovered under him until he was sacked. Under Rafa, we were inconsistent, attacking against the minnows but we played defensively against the teams better than us.

Mourinho's first season was a mixed bag, great counter-attacking against the big teams but we were similar to what we are now (but better defensively) against the so-called minnows.

Last season up until January was great football, then the Spurs result happened and we haven't played half as good since.

Just to sum things up, there's no coach in the world that can provide results with attacking football for a whole season. If we get someone like Pep, we'll be entertainment initially but his lack of pragmatism will bite us hard in some games (and important ones).

Mourinho's time is nearly up I'm afraid but I don't see any other coach doing better in terms of getting both success and how we want the club to play.

Agreed, the sad truth is there's probably no perfect coach for the brand of football everyone hopes to play at a consistent level.

We can definitely do a lot better than we are doing right now, but even someone like Klopp cannot maintain the level of consistency needed in this league. Liverpool are play absolutely scintillating stuff in some games, and still come undone in others such as against Crystal Palace and Newcastle (granted they are missing their best player in Coutinho atm.)

Yeah, let's forget about the good old days, you know, when our team actually understood the meaning of "scoring goals" and "having fun"

Let's forget that zero stability gave us the Champions League trophy.

Without Mourinho we had zero say in the league, for some fans being the top dog in England is priority number one.

Yes, that's speculative and down to everyone's personal feelings, but more and more i feel the same, because it's been played week in and week out.

Scoring some goals but when things get tough, losing, it's the Arsenal or Yids way, not the Chelsea way.

Recently i read that good ol' monobrow demanded how the line-up had to be carried out, for me, Di Matteo was just the mascott, but at that time, it was important, only short-term.

Stability can mean a lot of things, you're right, winning trophies didn't stop, but in my point of view, the team regressed more and more, we never ever were that good again since under Jose's first spell.

I like having a top man like Jose Mourinho in my house, who actually likes it here, yes, very bad season, but it won't be infinite.

We'll see how it goes, but i really don't think that Abramovich is going to fire him (yet), a lot more has to happen.

I think Jose Mourinho isn't that aggressive with the referees anymore, so the image isn't that dark anymore.

midfield is not upto it cos we have 2 players playing who cant pass the ball, defence has been exposed and attack is non-existent. so what exactly is jose doing? its been 3 months. 3 months of relegation form.

sorry, but these are nothing but excuses. and bad ones at that.

how can baba be match fit when we dont give him the time. also, i remember that baba played on the weekend that we lost to city. hardly an excuse.

and seriously, trying to defend one wrong with another wrong. why does not LVG drop rooney. well, because he earns 300kpw. no other reason.

does jose know his stuff? what was the master stroke behind plaing cesc, oscar and iva AGAIN. is azpi now match unfit? that he just dropped our best defender.

also, please tell me what cesc brings to the team or oscar or iva. where is the promise that if we keep losing he will play the kids. where is the promise that RLC is ready and would get starts. all bloody words with nothing to back up from jose.

i normally really like your posts, and i still respect your opinion. but from the team selection, to the tactics to everything has been absolutely shit. you need to stop defending the indefensible.

in a family, the head of the family should not show undue favouritism to some people. he should make some family members sleep out in the cold (RLC, remy, azpi) while having some of the worst behaved members take all the money and do whatever they like with it.

Jose Mourinho has to take some of the blame, but can you held him solely responsible for this shit?

Where are the backups? Ramires scored a screamer against Newcastle, most people praised him highly, but then they turned on him, again.

He is very inconsistent and a frustrating player to watch, but would Loftus-Cheek really be the revelation during these desperate times?

You never know, when you don't try, but i can understand Mourinho, the boy is just 19.

Every game most of the Chelsea fans believe, yes, we can do it, but playing the experienced -instead of the completely new ones isn't that surprising for me.

I think Fabregas isn't that far away from the truth, when he said that confidence goes down the drain after losing and losing and losing.

How can you recover from that? It's possible, but step by step.

Maybe you disagree, but i can see improvements in style of play.

In my point of view, the team creates more and more chances, but no one is able to finish them off, history repeats itself, it's so 2013, imo.

Ok, maybe Remy should have played more, but for me, that's not grounds for dismissal.

It's not good enough what Mourinho has been doing for three months, that's clear.

Baba has upped his game in training, Jose said that he wasn't ready, but now he's playing. So there are some changes, or not?

Maybe Rooney is playing because of his huge salary, but why can't you say the same for Fabregas and so on? (well-earning, imo).

I don't agree with that, i think overall they had their importance, but it will change, the youngsters are getting better and better, their time will come, very soon.

Jose Mourinho said that he will field the kids, but only if there isn't any major trophy to play for, but mathematically it's still possible,

so you can't slack him for that, can you?

Mourinho praised Loftus-Cheek highly, but he doesn't get a free pass, he has to impress in training, but it seems, he's too lazy, and he needs to work more

on his positioning, wasn't too impressed by his performances so far. A youngster has to give his all, sorry, but i haven't seen that.

I don't know about Azpi's fitness, you either.

But Azpi played a lot of matches, so i don't have a problem with some precautions, we will need him a lot in this season, i agree with you, he's our best man in the defense. Can't lose him!

In Sports you have to handle the big players or so-called stars, some managers can't handle them properly.

I think Mourinho is up for it, he showed it multiple times all other the world.

If the stars don't improve till the end of the season, there will be some changes, at least the reserve team is open for new players.

Mourinho and the club can be ruthless, but now we have to grind out results, for me it's not the right time for it.

Ivanovic played some shit games, but till the last game, he has raised his level, imo, but before the goal from Bournemouth, he should have made the clearance.

That's on him! My old man himself wondered what Ivanovic was doing.

Oscar and Fabregas aren't up for it, but it seems that i'm not the only who thinks that dropping them wouldn't have helped the team a lot, because Abramovbich is a businessman and if he didn't agree with that, Mourinho would have already lost his job.

Personally speaking, i think you made some valid points, but one can see it differently, i think.

We're going a bit in circles, so i get that you're a bit frustrated, but we have two strong separate points of view.

I do respect your opinion, i remember that you defended Mourinho for some time this season, but then you decided to give him a deadline and since you changed your thoughts.

I have seen a lot of coaches over the time, but no one brought ever that joy to Chelsea than Mourinho before, imo, so maybe i'm a bit sentimental.

But i stand by Mourinho, sometimes i disagree, but he's always putting his head out for Chelsea so it's time to do something for him.

It's easy to get carried away, look at the ~1,4 mio. pounds for Vardy and Mahrez and demand a change, but i can't see anything good come out ,imo.

TOP 4 is mission impossible now. Even Alex Ferguson as interim manager can't guarantee it. So the best thing would be to search for a new manager and hire him as soon as possible, then give him the rest of the season to access the squad and implement a different playing style without setting any huge goals and putting pressure on him. Personally I'd recall a few youth players from loan and play them in the league. Try to win the FA cup at least and have a give us fans a little something to be happy about.

Hopefully we don't relegated in the meantime with Mourinho. :D

good point, but I look at the squad and suspect the lack of strength in depth isn't entirely on Jose. I think there a few coaches and scouts there who have certain old-school preferences which also define the way we play. It hasn't really begun with Jose...

For example, I don't think a manager can drastically change the way we play - not without drastic changes in the squad.

BTW, I am extremely disappointed by his starting lineup against Bournemouth. Is it really surprising we lacked finishing when we start no striker against a bottom 3 side @ the bridge?!

If he is unhappy with Costa's performance and/or attitude, then start Remy. If Remy isn't good enough to start against a very poor side then he should not be on the roster!

I simply do not understand the reason we have certain senior players on the squad considering that they are seldom used.

For the same reason players barely move from SA directly to Europe's top clubs. Because they prefer to pay millions to clubs like Atletico, Porto, Shakthar, Benfica, Ajax, etc, than to do a proper scouting job and allow playing time so the players can develop and shine.

A club like Chelsea usually doesnt want to take the risk in signing a relatively unknown Argentinean who has only won things in South American instead of signing a big markee European name. Even if the manager has shown to be quality and pay-off can be huge.

It is just how things are...

We are so crappy and nothing to lose any gamble we take right now is low risk. Other than getting relegated there is no hope in anything.

So I would sack this clown and get anyone.

Bielsa, sampaoli, Emery, whatever and see how it goes for the rest of the season.

Marcelo-Bielsa.jpg

Would love to give this guy a try.

He is too crazy for long term but for what is left with nothing to play its worth a try.... I take for granted FA cup and cl as foregone. We are too crap to hope anything else then quick elimination in those competitions.

Norwich v Everton

Man C v Swansea

Sunderland v Watford

Bournemouth v Man United

Aston Villa v Arsenal

Fuck me it's worrying when you can't even rely on City, United or Arsenal to do us a favour..

Aston Villa can't catch us...for now. You left out Tottenham v Newcastle. It's unlikely all of those teams will win but given the nonsense that has happened this season, I wouldn't rule that scenario out.

I am a huge Mourinho fan, huge, and, up to Bournemouth, I was pleased, delighted, that the vast majority of fans were still so openly and vocally backing him. After all, managers nowadays get so little time to prove themselves in a job and the turnaround is frankly fucking ridiculous. Gary Monk, for example, the Swans go on a poor run and he's immediately under pressure, it really is too much and is now at the point of being beyond farcical.

Bournemouth changed everything I think. The fans, for the first time this season, turned. Because Jose is Jose, it doesn't give him the right not to be scrutinized by the fans and media alike. In my opinion, since returning, he has made a number of critical failings, both in the transfer market, player selection and tactics.

Transfers:

Incoming: Costa, Matic, Fabregas, Luis - All failures, The first three had a tremendous initial impact in the team, before dropping off alarmingly. Luis, just didn't seem to get the chance, and preferred playing a right back out of position. Rahman? Time will tell, initial sign's are not looking promising. That centre half from St Ettiene? Why? why? Cuadrado??

Outgoing: Mata (No need for Mata? Really?), Lukako? (Pardew is right, the next Drogba in the making, therefore he belongs at Chelsea), Schurrie? (When did Cuadrado ever look better than Schurrie?)

Selection:

Dropping Cesc deeper was, and is a mistake, he don't mark, don't tackle, therefore Sherlock, he don't fit in that position. Sidelining Ramires for so much of last season, when Matic and Fabregas were clearly struggling, was a mistake, then there is the curious case of Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Tactics:

As I said, Fabregas deeper was/is a mistake. And the most fundamental aspect of his tactical failings is there for all to see. Not just Chelsea, but every 'big' team (except worryingly not the Yids) are struggling when playing the smaller teams now. Remember not so long ago when Brian Robson sent a West Brom fringe team to The Bridge for their first away game of the season, result? 6-0 Chelsea, Robson's response? "not fussed, playing Chelsea isn't our target games, I'm keeping my players fresh for the teams around us" (and that was West Brom's second game of the season! Not any more, Bradford in the FA Cup changed everything, the 'smaller' teams are now playing without any fear whatsoever against the big boys, and are really reaping the rewards. In turn, the big teams don't like it up them, and are being found out, big time. Jose is, rightly, marked down as THE master tactician, THE master motivator, well, not any more, he doesn't have an answer to this positive tactical change from the smaller teams. He ain't alone, but other teams are for their fans to worry about, we have our own concerns. Saying on Friday that "Costa has had a good week" then play against fucking Bournemouth without a striker?

January is just over three weeks away, if he lasts that long then he is going to have to get busy, very busy. It's a shite time to buy, but buy we must. He could easily flog 3/4 of the current first team and no one would bat an eyelid.So, so many fucking players are so, so blatantly under performing constantly.

Personally, If Porto knock us out of the Champs League, and we lose away at Leicester on Monday then I think he's gone. He really should walk, instead of hanging about for compo. Leicester away, now, is frightening, and that is fucking pathetic.

I am a huge Mourinho fan, huge, and, up to Bournemouth, I was pleased, delighted, that the vast majority of fans were still so openly and vocally backing him. After all, managers nowadays get so little time to prove themselves in a job and the turnaround is frankly fucking ridiculous. Gary Monk, for example, the Swans go on a poor run and he's immediately under pressure, it really is too much and is now at the point of being beyond farcical.

Bournemouth changed everything I think. The fans, for the first time this season, turned. Because Jose is Jose, it doesn't give him the right not to be scrutinized by the fans and media alike. In my opinion, since returning, he has made a number of critical failings, both in the transfer market, player selection and tactics.

Transfers:

Incoming: Costa, Matic, Fabregas, Luis - All failures, The first three had a tremendous initial impact in the team, before dropping off alarmingly. Luis, just didn't seem to get the chance, and preferred playing a right back out of position. Rahman? Time will tell, initial sign's are not looking promising. That centre half from St Ettiene? Why? why? Cuadrado??

Outgoing: Mata (No need for Mata? Really?), Lukako? (Pardew is right, the next Drogba in the making, therefore he belongs at Chelsea), Schurrie? (When did Cuadrado ever look better than Schurrie?)

Selection:

Dropping Cesc deeper was, and is a mistake, he don't mark, don't tackle, therefore Sherlock, he don't fit in that position. Sidelining Ramires for so much of last season, when Matic and Fabregas were clearly struggling, was a mistake, then there is the curious case of Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Tactics:

As I said, Fabregas deeper was/is a mistake. And the most fundamental aspect of his tactical failings is there for all to see. Not just Chelsea, but every 'big' team (except worryingly not the Yids) are struggling when playing the smaller teams now. Remember not so long ago when Brian Robson sent a West Brom fringe team to The Bridge for their first away game of the season, result? 6-0 Chelsea, Robson's response? "not fussed, playing Chelsea isn't our target games, I'm keeping my players fresh for the teams around us" (and that was West Brom's second game of the season! Not any more, Bradford in the FA Cup changed everything, the 'smaller' teams are now playing without any fear whatsoever against the big boys, and are really reaping the rewards. In turn, the big teams don't like it up them, and are being found out, big time. Jose is, rightly, marked down as THE master tactician, THE master motivator, well, not any more, he doesn't have an answer to this positive tactical change from the smaller teams. He ain't alone, but other teams are for their fans to worry about, we have our own concerns. Saying on Friday that "Costa has had a good week" then play against fucking Bournemouth without a striker?

January is just over three weeks away, if he lasts that long then he is going to have to get busy, very busy. It's a shite time to buy, but buy we must. He could easily flog 3/4 of the current first team and no one would bat an eyelid.So, so many fucking players are so, so blatantly under performing constantly.

Personally, If Porto knock us out of the Champs League, and we lose away at Leicester on Monday then I think he's gone. He really should walk, instead of hanging about for compo. Leicester away, now, is frightening, and that is fucking pathetic.

I'm on the other end of the scale with manager sackings, for me very very few don't have very good reasons as to why it's happened.

The main example for me is Southampton, when Nigel Adkins was sacked the footballing nation was in outrage, yet it turned out to be one of the best decisions a club has ever made 're a manager.

That's why I don't like the argument of this manager isn't doing bad and doesn't deserve the sack, sometimes (like with Adkins) they don't get sacked because they are doing bad, they get sacked because there is a better manager ready and wanting the job, players do well and get upgraded on all the time, so why can't managers?

Jose Mourinho future: Chelsea manager realises Porto defeat in Champions League could be fatal

Roman Abramovich still wants to keep Jose Mourinho as manager despite Chelsea suffering an eighth league defeat of a miserable season on Saturday, but there is a growing fear in the club’s higher circles that Champions League elimination on Wednesday could force the owner’s hand.
Sources have told The Independent there has been widespread belief around both Mourinho and the club in the last week that he has got past the worst of the crisis and that “the storm is over” – as was reflected in the manager’s upbeat mood in his press conference before the Bournemouth game. Yet a 1-0 defeat to a Glenn Murray goal has caused doubt to resurface, and Chelsea must now avoid defeat to Porto at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday to ensure they reach the last 16 of the Champions League.
Although the possibility of sacking Mourinho has at least been discussed at the top level of the club a few times this season, Abramovich has remained strong in his belief that the Portuguese should be given time to turn things around, partially because the owner wants Chelsea to start doing things differently and partially because of the lack of options.

To strengthen that position, the club is willing to make significant funds available for a shake-up in the transfer window next month. Mourinho recently played down the idea of new purchases, but it is known that he feels the squad is too small – leading to an over-reliance on core players which has played into this season’s bad start – that he wants another central defender and to greatly enhance his attack.

There is an acknowledgement at the top of the club that the lack of forward options has not helped Mourinho, especially since he seems to have resolved defensive issues, despite the somewhat chaotic nature of Murray’s winner on Saturday. Diego Costa is the only top-class forward they have, but his poor form led the manager to start him on the bench again on Saturday, putting Eden Hazard up front once more. Beyond that, Loïc Rémy is not seen as a starter, and the club will look to move Radamel Falcao on in January.
It has meant that, even though Chelsea have started to keep clean sheets again, they are barely scoring. The champions have got only one goal in their last four league games, so the club will look to aid Mourinho next month.
Chelsea have been monitoring Alex Teixeira of Shakhtar Donetsk, and their hand has been strengthened by the Ukrainian club’s elimination from the Champions League, but Mourinho’s side could yet find themselves in a similar situation.

A draw against Porto on Wednesday would definitely put the English champions into the next round, but the concern is that their home form has been so poor, and they have already been beaten by inferior sides to the Portuguese at Stamford Bridge this season. It is set to be a nervous night in west London, and some at the club believe that could influence Abramovich’s thinking. The Russian is known to prize the Champions League far above all other competitions, and one factor that has bolstered his belief that Mourinho can turn things around has been that they have stayed on course in that competition.

Defeat could change that, though, and cause another round of intense discussion at the top of the club. It would mark just the second time they have gone out at the group stage since Abramovich took over in 2003.
Mourinho has not been given an ultimatum or anything of the sort, but is aware that Wednesday could be a defining game.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jose-mourinho-future-chelsea-manager-realises-porto-defeat-in-champions-league-could-be-fatal-a6762486.html