The Mourinho Thread

First of all, Ramos has been dropped a couple of matches for Varane, but was quickly reintegrated to the team and Mourinho played him throughout the last season, despite their differences. The Varane episode happened way before he lost the dressing room and some speculated that it fueled the problems - along with dropping Iker.

Second, Pepe and Mourinho don't have a problem, they had a problem at some point, but he was also played, as I said, later who lost his position was Arbeloa.

Third, Mourinho will never be influenced by whoever. And Perez gave him full reign to do whatever he wanted.

So get your facts correct. Despite having issues with Ramos and Iker, Mourinho continued playing both, Iker on UCL and Ramos in all competitions.

The lack of respect for Mourinho in some posts here is abysmal. He's a PROFESSIONAL, not you or me. He doesn't behave like an amateur and couch-managers. He won't drop a player simply because he doesn't like him on a personal level. Seriously, some posts here the last few weeks - since the slightest crisis started - are shameful. If the team is unbeaten, leading the league by 8 points, some people don't post and others are completely elated and maybe too positive. We draw and lose a couple of matches and then the posts criticizing everything pile up. I think a lot of criticism is rightful - such us the lack of rotation, some decisions, the way the team regressed or how we came back to bad finishing. But some things, like saying Mourinho chose to play a 19yo because he didn't like the regulars, or turning Costa into an average striker, or saying Mourinho will close our academy, are ridiculous. Unbelievable, people, unbelievable.

I just looked some startiing line ups up.When Varane played as a centre back ,his partner were Ramos or Pepe.Arbeloa or Essien played as right back,while Ramos just only played a few times as a RB.Most of the times,it was Marcelo/Coentrao,Varane,Ramos/Pepe,Essien/Arbeloa.Ramos did not play that much as a RB.Also,in the last 8 matches,Ramos was not even on the bench,which is weird because he was not injured,according to my informations.

I never said that anyone was benched for Varane.I just said that Varane was given a chance because Mou did not like Pepe or Ramos.He just rotated between Pepe and Ramos.In general,there was very much rotation in the back 4

I think everyone loves Mou,but his decisions sometimes are not that great.We will not win the PL,if Hazard has to play every match.Why did he buy Salah?A youth player was more suitable of the salah role.

Whilst I concur with the majority that 'fringe and youth' should take precedence in this competition (I'd have Ake ahead of Mikel in any game!) I think that most are missing the bigger picture here.

First time round José wanted to win this competition to get the players in a winning mentality to lead them on to bigger thing's, whilst we have some players who are habitual winners, José wants to mould 'his 2014 squad' to get that winning mentality, and what better way to start than by winning a trophy before the big 2 get in to the closing stage's?

I believe this season unlike last is about starting to obtain some of the objectives that were agreed by Roman & José when they sat down for the long haul.

I hope next season we will see a change with some of the promising youth Jose has earmarked gaining experience to set the wheels in motion with the academy.

Lastly tiredness or fatigue are all in the mind, there's no better manager to get the most of players in terms of psychology........

Not so sure about that, especially after all the investment in the youth setup, and our last CL game was meaningless.

Think Jose jugded it important that we win that game and convincingly. Sporting had everything to play for in that game. So maybe too much risk to the team's confidence if we lose it after the loss to Newcastle.

No, no you misunderstand. When Hansen said that about United, they proved him wrong and won it with kids. That's my point. We should trust them to play big games, like Wilson for United, Sterling at Liverpool, Barkley at Everton etc.

Ah my apologies then. But surely playing too many kids is a radical choice at this point of time? Should we drop all 3 strikers for Solanke? Sell salah and Oscar to introduce Boga and Baker? We are still top of the table and only have 1 loss all so far. Our current first team is loaded with talent and very well balanced. Most are fit and lots of them can play multiple positions. Currently we should only gradually introduce youth into our squad or risk something like what United faced at MK Dons.

Ah my apologies then. But surely playing too many kids is a radical choice at this point of time? Should we drop all 3 strikers for Solanke? Sell salah and Oscar to introduce Boga and Baker? We are still top of the table and only have 1 loss all so far. Our current first team is loaded with talent and very well balanced. Most are fit and lots of them can play multiple positions. Currently we should only gradually introduce youth into our squad or risk something like what United faced at MK Dons.

Of course the radical approach isn't wise, no-one here is suggesting that should be adopted. The examples I chose were intentional, they were 1 youth-promoted player alongside the senior players. Solanke is too raw right now to lead the line.. But it's much easier to allow RLC & Boga exposure in our first team because they'll be surrounded by senior players. 8 minutes for a lad, in a dead rubber match, where we were always on top, is just embarrassing. Particularly when Mourinho's expressly mentioned these guys all season.

Of course the radical approach isn't wise, no-one here is suggesting that should be adopted. The examples I chose were intentional, they were 1 youth-promoted player alongside the senior players. Solanke is too raw right now to lead the line.. But it's much easier to allow RLC & Boga exposure in our first team because they'll be surrounded by senior players. 8 minutes for a lad, in a dead rubber match, where we were always on top, is just embarrassing. Particularly when Mourinho's expressly mentioned these guys all season.

I do agree that the way RLC was paraded around was cringey and more youth players should have gotten a chance for a dead rubber game. However I don't think Mou does things without a reason. IIRC we were finally playing 2 natural full backs and both wingers were not inverted in a 433. I actually didn't watch the match cause I was asleep (do excuse me it's 345am here and it's a dead rubber after all) but surely those changes have a major impact on the way we play? This sort of environment does allow for experimentation and Mou opts to use it as tactical practice for a potential option later on in a season. If it pays off I won't really complain.

No one is asking Mourinho to field an 11 of academy youngsters, where are people getting that from? IMO it isn't the end of the world if we field an experienced 11 and integrate two or three youth players i.e. Boga, RLC and Aké, and surround them with 8/9 senior players. Surely that isn't too much to ask? Surely we should be able to beat a team like Derby with a set up like that?

As if he hasn't done that? Do people want him to do that every CL game? And PL game?

No one is asking Mourinho to field an 11 of academy youngsters, where are people getting that from? IMO it isn't the end of the world if we field an experienced 11 and integrate two or three youth players i.e. Boga, RLC and Aké, and surround them with 8/9 senior players. Surely that isn't too much to ask? Surely we should be able to beat a team like Derby with a set up like that?

we have 4 CM/DMs (mikel, rambo, cesc and matic), ahead of RLC.

we have 5 AMs (oscar, hazard, willian, schurrle, salah) ahead of boga,

what is the point of having such a massive squad? specially in a QF of carling cup. youth players will be given a real oppurtunity only when we will give them an actually important squad position ahead of all these fringe players we currently have in the squad or out on loan!!

What happens if he decides to do this and we get knocked out? Fans will then go in to overdrive that he should of played a team of senior players - José can't win!

The reasonable and fair minded fans will see what he is trying to achieve but the fickle fans will be on them like an avalanche!

I believe he had the perfect opportunity to give several full debuts against Sporting but strangely decided not too?

Personally think he is using this competition as a stepping stone for better things to come and whilst I agree there is room for players to be given opportunities I have to side with José on this one - for now!

Surely we should be able to beat a team like Derby with a set up like that?

I'm sorry, but where is exactly is the reasoning for this coming from? You're using this as fact when it is far from it.

Last night, we something very close to our best XI (only Mikel was arguably one of the 'fringe' players after Zouma was subbed off as Luis and Drogba are very much regulars) and we were looking in trouble until the ref decided to wrongly send off a Derby player.

Yes, we managed the game well and made it look fairly comfortable most of the times but that was a close game. Derby played very well and made it difficult for us, as we all knew they would. How exactly do you conclude that we would still have won had a couple of first-teamers been replaced by inexperience youth players?

For me, the way the game panned out and level at which Derby played only confirms that Jose was 100% right to start a very strong team.

What happens if he decides to do this and we get knocked out? Fans will then go in to overdrive that he should of played a team of senior players - José can't win!

The reasonable and fair minded fans will see what he is trying to achieve but the fickle fans will be on them like an avalanche!

I believe he had the perfect opportunity to give several full debuts against Sporting but strangely decided not too?

Personally think he is using this competition as a stepping stone for better things to come and whilst I agree there is room for players to be given opportunities I have to side with José on this one - for now!

Noboby,and I mean nobody,would have critiziced Mourinho for giving just one youth player a chance against Maribor.That match was the most useless match I have ever seen.RLC for Matic would have made sense.

Aftert 1 or 2 years,Terry will not be a starter.If we mantain our philosophy,there will be no former youth team player in the squad and that is quite sad.Even Real Madrid has two former youth team players in their starting line up.If Cassilas should decide to leave them,they still have one.

The only chance of giving young players a chance this season,is the FA Cup,but maybe Mou will want to play Matic in some of those matches.If Matic gets injured in one of those matches,I will be furious.

I am one who always voices an opinion on the lack of opportunites for the young ones and I stated that RLC should have been given more minutes against Sporting and the likes of Baker should have played against Shrewsbury etc. But yesterday was not the one. Going into an away game against arguably the best team in the Championship who are playing their best team, there is always a chance of a giant-killing. If were at home then possibly more reason but this is the QF stage and we are serious about winning it. Boga and RLC are top talents but they have never started a competitive fixture before. To throw them into an 11 against a team like Derby is very risky. You understood why RLC did not start the game against Sporting etc but for this game you are surprised that he did not play any of the youngsters. Sporting Lisbon if anything would have been the best game to start the likes of RLC and Boga. A game where only pride was at stake and we were at home.

Going to Derby is not the ideal place to just throw around 3 youngsters in the first team. Ake less so because he has more first team experience however he has just recovering an inury but Derby is a very tough game. Although the COC is not the most prestigious trophy, with where we are now and considering the teams left in the competition I and everyone else I assume would be quite annoyed if we did not go on and win it considering the last time we won the trophy was in 2007. If we played 3 youngsters in the starting 11 and we went out we would be regretting that if we played a stronger team we might have just gone through. You can see while we deserved it yesterday, it was no easy game despite a very strong 11 out there.

Noboby,and I mean nobody,would have critiziced Mourinho for giving just one youth player a chance against Maribor.That match was the most useless match I have ever seen.RLC for Matic would have made sense.

Actually, we hadn't qualified & no where near it so there was no chance of giving starts to youth against Maribor, it would make no sense at all, apart from when the game was won, remember we only drew at their place?!

The ideal time would of been the dead rubber against Sporting - we had already qualified as group leaders so opportunities should of been given in this match, if in any this season.

Tbh honest Madrid are not my concern, however i can understand the concern, José has already stated that there is no point in a 6m academy if we don't start producing, nonetheless winning trophies is what we all want at the end of the day and this is an ideal place to start (José second era) and I have complete faith in José to start using our youth products when they are ready, we might as u say see a few in the FA cup but I would be surprised, my view is that we will see some getting their opportunities next season, if not then perhaps do as José as said and scrap the academy!