Chelsea 1-3 Atletico Madrid

Jase

Man of the Match  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

Haha it seems that we win when everyone think we won't and vice versa.

Its more that people underestimate our opponents. People talking about the final here last night as if A.Madrid were not there yet. And obviously when we get beaten with those circumstances its bitter. We need to learn to manage our expectations and take it step by step.

Its more that people underestimate our opponents. People talking about the final here last night as if A.Madrid were not there yet. And obviously when we get beaten with those circumstances its bitter. We need to learn to manage our expectations and take it step by step.

Exactly my thoughts.

First of all, congratulations to Atletico Madrid who have been absolutely outstanding this season, tip my hat off to them and will be rooting for them in the final.

Second, defensive mistakes did us in today obviously - two from Hazard not tracking back with his man twice, but in my opinion when you start 6 defenders on the pitch I don't think it's a necessity that Hazard needs to track his man back so deeply into the box. Simeone got Mourinho on that when - attacked our left lane very well knowing that Hazard's defending isn't his strongest point (he shouldn't have to be defending that deep at all to begin with but that's a different discussion all together) and they reaped the rewards.

A lot of people on here were underestimating the value of an Atletico away goal or an away goal for us in the first leg but it just goes to highlight how important that away goal in the first leg could've been for us. Had we got an away goal in Madrid, even if they scored here we wouldn't have been as rattled as we were. We started panicking when they scored and because of that and the need to score a goal, we left ourselves open to Atletico's counter attacking game and they came away with a result they thoroughly deserved.

Simeone definitely got one over Mou today - he beat us at our own game. Mourinho's plan unfortunately backfired today. I know Mou's hands were somehow tied in midfield especially (in consideration to how he wanted to play - with 3 in midfield) but to put Azpi there was a huge gamble that didn't work. I still can't quite fathom how he did not play Oscar who can definitely play a more withdrawn role and do a job defensively... Whilst also providing extra impetus going forward. We were set to counter with a 4-3-3 formation but didn't have the appropriate tools to do so. We should've started the game trying to put our foot down rather than letting Atletico settle. Also to sub on Eto'o played right into Simeone's hand - essentially reducing a man for us in midfield which allowed Atletico to take the initiative even more. He should've brought on Oscar instead which is what I thought he'd do but unfortunately he didn't.

But then again, that's football, you can't win them all. Barring a miracle in the EPL; on to next year where we hopefully sign up the correct players in those key positions that we lack in (LB, CM and ST) and we'll give it a go again.

KTBFFH.

Oscar was injured apparently according to Mourinho, hence why he didn't play but not sure if he was truthful there personally. As for the Eto'o sub, think the issue with that was he changed it too early. Gary Neville made the point on commentary that he was surprised that Mourinho started to chase the game so early when we could have kept it tight at 1-1 and then do it later on. Then again, we seem like we've lost once Atletico scored. Came out of the second half with a wrong mindset and already looked rattled when we shouldn't be just yet.

It was the softest penalty of the competition but that is text book they were going to do everything to make sure we didn't get to the final we never should have got so far. It kills we couldn't beat them :(

Oscar was injured apparently according to Mourinho, hence why he didn't play but not sure if he was truthful there personally. As for the Eto'o sub, think the issue with that was he changed it too early. Gary Neville made the point on commentary that he was surprised that Mourinho started to chase the game so early when we could have kept it tight at 1-1 and then do it later on. Then again, we seem like we've lost once Atletico scored. Came out of the second half with a wrong mindset and already looked rattled when we shouldn't be just yet.

Shame we couldn't hold the lead till HT, if we did we would've been in the final right now IMO.

Like you said, a lot of players came out very nervy after HT, which is never good.

It's a learning experience for some of these though. We were taught a lesson today. Hopefully Mou and co will make sure that they've received that lesson well.

do you guys think maybe the defense missed Cech and his leadership?

I don't think Schwarzer was bad, but it seems like there was no other leader there in addition to Terry. I feel like Cahill and our movement sometimes wasn't as it is with Cech there guiding them through. I don't know, maybe I'm spouting nonsense, but I'm not sure we haven't missed Petr.

First of all, congratulations to Atletico Madrid who have been absolutely outstanding this season, tip my hat off to them and will be rooting for them in the final.

Second, defensive mistakes did us in today obviously - two from Hazard not tracking back with his man twice, but in my opinion when you start 6 defenders on the pitch I don't think it's a necessity that Hazard needs to track his man back so deeply into the box. Simeone got Mourinho on that when - attacked our left lane very well knowing that Hazard's defending isn't his strongest point (he shouldn't have to be defending that deep at all to begin with but that's a different discussion all together) and they reaped the rewards.

A lot of people on here were underestimating the value of an Atletico away goal or an away goal for us in the first leg but it just goes to highlight how important that away goal in the first leg could've been for us. Had we got an away goal in Madrid, even if they scored here we wouldn't have been as rattled as we were. We started panicking when they scored and because of that and the need to score a goal, we left ourselves open to Atletico's counter attacking game and they came away with a result they thoroughly deserved.

Simeone definitely got one over Mou today - he beat us at our own game. Mourinho's plan unfortunately backfired today. I know Mou's hands were somehow tied in midfield especially (in consideration to how he wanted to play - with 3 in midfield) but to put Azpi there was a huge gamble that didn't work. I still can't quite fathom how he did not play Oscar who can definitely play a more withdrawn role and do a job defensively... Whilst also providing extra impetus going forward. We were set to counter with a 4-3-3 formation but didn't have the appropriate tools to do so. We should've started the game trying to put our foot down rather than letting Atletico settle. Also to sub on Eto'o played right into Simeone's hand - essentially reducing a man for us in midfield which allowed Atletico to take the initiative even more. He should've brought on Oscar instead which is what I thought he'd do but unfortunately he didn't.

But then again, that's football, you can't win them all. Barring a miracle in the EPL; on to next year where we hopefully sign up the correct players in those key positions that we lack in (LB, CM and ST) and we'll give it a go again.

KTBFFH.

Skipper, you are my favorite. Absolutely agree with this, I was wondering why he put in Eto'o so early and giving them a man advantage in midifled. But again I think no one should hold it against Mourinho for his decisions tonight. I am just happy that we are back where we belong.

outplayed. well played ATM. they deserved the won. everything went wrong from that moment when juanfran(i think) kept the ball in play. ATM would be one of the worst teams to play against if u r chasing a game. and they proved why? this is why i NEVER wanted this tie. RM and especially bayern would have played right into our hands.

still, always thought that the first goal would decide the encounter. it was simply not meant to be...

schwarzer - good performance despite giving away 3 goals. left open for all 3 of them.

cole - slept for the first goal. not just him but the whole defence. his positioning was weird cos he was behind JT when the cut back came in.

JT - decent performacen.

GC - shocker. absolute stinker. never ever looked comfortable today. cant count the times he lost the ball.

iva - the fuck was he trying to go thru half the ATM team? despite azpi being in good positions. and learn to put a bloody cross in.

rambo - one of his better performance. stole the ball a number of times from ATM in the first half. a couple of clearances inside the box. but over-run in the 2nd half.

luiz - dont understand what he wants to do half the time. passes when he should shoot (azpi ball), shoots when he should pass (hazard one).

hazard - poor performance. on such a night u need to give your fucking 200%. chase down 10-90 balls. that was his man for the first goal who put the cut back. hazard stopped covering him. same for the 3rd goal. that is not what a world class player does. he had some duties and he let the team down today. i can remember so many times schurrle and salah, covering johnson and flanagan against pool. poor, very poor.

willian - good performance. that run for the goal and the fight to keep the ball in play surrounded by 3 players is what created the goal.

azpi - he is azpi. what else needs to be said. nice cut back. i am sure iva would have hit a defender somehow.

torres - was very good in the first half. not just goal scoring ways but held the ball brilliantly, linked up well. took on players. my motm.

subs -

etoo - dint understand this one. why??? we had ample time. on such night 10 minutes plus injury time is lifetime. jose pressed the panic button and it back fired.

ba - decent performacnce. i wont mind him being here as a 3rd striker next season.

ps - i dont care if cech is a legend. i dont care if cech is chuck fucking norris. courtois SHOULD be chelsea's no.1 gk next season. the guy is brilliant. the people who wanted him to go out on loan on a PL team should probably get their heads tested.

costa is a pain in the ass. he ll be good for us. get him.

I don't think Schwarzer was bad, but it seems like there was no other leader there in addition to Terry. I feel like Cahill and our movement sometimes wasn't as it is with Cech there guiding them through. I don't know, maybe I'm spouting nonsense, but I'm not sure we haven't missed Petr.

Players like Cech are the kind of players anyone would miss. No offense to Mark of course, he did a good job I think.

I brought this point up after his injury. It's not just about the actually keeping but the organizing of the defense. The keeper is the first organizer because he can see everything.

Shame we couldn't hold the lead till HT, if we did we would've been in the final right now IMO.

Like you said, a lot of players came out very nervy after HT, which is never good.

It's a learning experience for some of these though. We were taught a lesson today. Hopefully Mou and co will make sure that they've received that lesson well.

The lesson is that never ever aim for a 0-0 even away from home, especially in a CL knock out tie. What other lessons are there to be learn?

2 of the goals were Hazard's fault then when they hit it across nothing could have been done. For example Turan header and then that Adrian shot where I think Terry and Cahill tried to intercept the pass to him unsuccessfully. Even better if we had Courtois imo, he is now the best GK in the world for me ahead of Neuer who is now too cocky.

KTBFFH.

Mourinho said before the match Oscar was recovering physically and nto 100% fit and just repeated in the post-match presser that he was injured.

I do agree with everything you said.

outplayed. well played ATM. they deserved the won. everything went wrong from that moment when juanfran(i think) kept the ball in play. ATM would be one of the worst teams to play against if u r chasing a game. and they proved why? this is why i NEVER wanted this tie. RM and especially bayern would have played right into our hands.

still, always thought that the first goal would decide the encounter. it was simply not meant to be...

schwarzer - good performance despite giving away 3 goals. left open for all 3 of them.

cole - slept for the first goal. not just him but the whole defence. his positioning was weird cos he was behind JT when the cut back came in.

JT - decent performacen.

GC - shocker. absolute stinker. never ever looked comfortable today. cant count the times he lost the ball.

iva - the fuck was he trying to go thru half the ATM team? despite azpi being in good positions. and learn to put a bloody cross in.

rambo - one of his better performance. stole the ball a number of times from ATM in the first half. a couple of clearances inside the box. but over-run in the 2nd half.

luiz - dont understand what he wants to do half the time. passes when he should shoot (azpi ball), shoots when he should pass (hazard one).

hazard - poor performance. on such a night u need to give your fucking 200%. chase down 10-90 balls. that was his man for the first goal who put the cut back. hazard stopped covering him. same for the 3rd goal. that is not what a world class player does. he had some duties and he let the team down today. i can remember so many times schurrle and salah, covering johnson and flanagan against pool. poor, very poor.

willian - good performance. that run for the goal and the fight to keep the ball in play surrounded by 3 players is what created the goal.

azpi - he is azpi. what else needs to be said. nice cut back. i am sure iva would have hit a defender somehow.

torres - was very good in the first half. not just goal scoring ways but held the ball brilliantly, linked up well. took on players. my motm.

subs -

etoo - dint understand this one. why??? we had ample time. on such night 10 minutes plus injury time is lifetime. jose pressed the panic button and it back fired.

ba - decent performacnce. i wont mind him being here as a 3rd striker next season.

ps - i dont care if cech is a legend. i dont care if cech is chuck fucking norris. courtois SHOULD be chelsea's no.1 gk next season. the guy is brilliant. the people who wanted him to go out on loan on a PL team should probably get their heads tested.

costa is a pain in the ass. he ll be good for us. get him.

pretty good analysis as usual.. think Id prefer suarez to costa tho .. still beggars can't be choosers

The lesson is that never ever aim for a 0-0 even away from home, especially in a CL knock out tie. What other lessons are there to be learn?

That is a lesson for Mourinho.

The lesson for the players is that they came out not believing in themselves after HT, and that was our ultimate downfall in the end. We never got going after HT. It's an experience some haven't experienced before.