Chelsea 1-3 Atletico Madrid

Jase

Man of the Match  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

Mourinho said before the match Oscar was recovering physically and nto 100% fit and just repeated in the post-match presser that he was injured.

I do agree with everything you said.

Yeah, I didn't know that - he could've still perhaps shifted Willian to CAM and started Schurrle who isn't shabby defensively either obviously.

But it's done now, easy to say it in hindsight. We were unfortunate not to have players like Mikel or Matic today - they definitely would've helped the setup Mourinho tried to implement. Anyways, onwards and upwards.

No they're not. I don't think I've ever seen Tom overly criticize or insult one of our players.

And that's besides the point which was the bashing of our players is completely uncalled for since they have already exceeded expectations by taking us so far. This is a moment to reflect and be proud of the boys, it's not a moment knee-jerk over-criticism and it certainly isn't a moment for cynical swipes at other members and starting petty arguments.

Thank you Habibi

Not really the point. The team has over-achieved simply by reaching this semifinal, so us going out tonight is not a "failure" you would pin on someone.

I don't think we've overachieved at all. We got to the point where we faced a team better than us and then lost. We played Schalke, Basel, Bucharest, and Galatasaray and then PSG . The only team we faced who we weren't heavy favourites against was PSG and that was probably a 50/50 thing and we won last second on away goals . Had we faced the same quality group stage as we did last year, based on the way we played, we might not have have got out of the group and we certainly wouldn't have won it and then we would have been forced to play a quality team right away. We had one of the easiest groups (3 easy ones) and then one of easiest matchups in the round of 16 and even in the quarter-finals PSG was one of the best matchups we could have hoped for. We went about as far in the tournament as we should have gone based on the teams we played. I doubt we get as easy a route for years. Still, there's no blame to be had here. Atletico are a better team and they beat us. It isn't always someone's fault.

That is a lesson for Mourinho.

The lesson for the players is that they came out not believing in themselves after HT, and that was our ultimate downfall in the end. We never got going after HT. It's an experience some haven't experienced before.

Oh right I see yep that is true but tbf it is not the nerve that got better of us but more like individual mistakes. Eto'o doesn't lacking experience, he won 3 CL with 2 different teams and he should know better than to take down a striker in the box, seeing as he probably been done the same to many time over the least 14 years. But yh I agree some young players will grow from this experience but it is not like we lack that either with Terry, Cole...etc. Overall the main reason we lost imo is simply because they are the better team, yes the better team.

Don't blame hazard it was his first game back. You have to take a risk with your best players because they have the ability to create or score from nothing, it just didn't work out

We are a few players short of being a great team. We are a good team with a great manager that is often able to win us difficult games we maybe wouldn't win under another manager

Shame we couldn't hold the lead till HT, if we did we would've been in the final right now IMO.

Like you said, a lot of players came out very nervy after HT, which is never good.

It's a learning experience for some of these though. We were taught a lesson today. Hopefully Mou and co will make sure that they've received that lesson well.

Made me curious what Mourinho said at HT too. It felt like he lost it as well after the Atletico goal and seem to panic too early with that Eto'o sub. Unlike him really.

Was as though Benitez gave the HT team talk!

do you guys think maybe the defense missed Cech and his leadership?

I don't think Schwarzer was bad, but it seems like there was no other leader there in addition to Terry. I feel like Cahill and our movement sometimes wasn't as it is with Cech there guiding them through. I don't know, maybe I'm spouting nonsense, but I'm not sure we haven't missed Petr.

Kinda agree with that TBH. The back 4 and Schwarzer never looked totally comfortable when dealing with crosses. Always seem unsure who should take charge and deal with the situation and while Schwarzer has done alright for us this season, I get scared a bit every time when he gathers a shot from distance. Never seem to grab hold of it firmly and instead let it bounce a little bit in front of him. Though on the other hand, one might argue that this is what happens when we suddenly had to change the back 4 or 5 with the GK. The consistency and understanding are bound to go out of the window and will take awhile for the unit to be familiar with one another.

Oh right I see yep that is true but tbf it is not the nerve that got better of us but more like individual mistakes. Eto'o doesn't lacking experience, he won 3 CL with 2 different teams and he should know better than to take down a striker in the box, seeing as he probably been done the same to many time over the least 14 years. But yh I agree some young players will grow from this experience but it is not like we lack that either with Terry, Cole...etc. Overall the main reason we lost imo is simply because they are the better team, yes the better team.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with any of that pal - and I did say that it was a lesson for some of those players (not all).

Atletico were definitely the better team and definitely deserved to go through, no denying that.

I don't think we've overachieved at all. We got to the point where we faced a team better than us and then lost. We played Schalke, Basel, Bucharest, and Galatasaray and then PSG . The only team we faced who we weren't heavy favourites against was PSG and that was probably a 50/50 thing and we won last second on away goals . Had we faced the same quality group stage as we did last year, based on the way we played, we might not have have got out of the group and we certainly wouldn't have won it and then we would have been forced to play a quality team right away. We had one of the easiest groups (3 easy ones) and then one of easiest matchups in the round of 16 and even in the quarter-finals PSG was one of the best matchups we could have hoped for. We went about as far in the tournament as we should have gone based on the teams we played. I doubt we get as easy a route for years. Still, there's no blame to be had here. Atletico are a better team and they beat us. It isn't always someone's fault.

I meant over-achieved with respect to the expectations at the start of the season, but I tend to agree with everything in your post.

Yup I agree, I wouldn't say we overachieved either. We've done well though, at the start of the season I expected a top 3 finish, a deep run in the CL (quarter/semis) and just maybe one of the cups, which is exactly what we've done.

I feel terrible. Congratulations to Atletico. They are better than us. It's plain and simple. Just this for now: We did everything we could. No huge blame on players or Jose. We are just not a complete team yet. See you next year CL!

Don't blame hazard it was his first game back. You have to take a risk with your best players because they have the ability to create or score from nothing, it just didn't work out

We are a few players short of being a great team. We are a good team with a great manager that is often able to win us difficult games we maybe wouldn't win under another manager

Let us all stop the blame game completely ,, One question ,, was there any Chelsea player you felt didn't give 100%.

Did Jose do his best to change this .??

oh that's 2 questions

my answer to first NO

to second YES

conclusion ; hurting but not BLAMING

That's it, you're dead right, Cahill will be sold off as he has been absolutely useless this season, Schwarzer never really wanted to play for Chelsea, it's a step-down in his career and he LET them score three tonight, as for the rest of the Chelsea team, well maybe we should sell them all because they gave us nothing this season. We have been a disgrace, beaten by a little Spanish team called Athletico, who just may go on to win the Spanish league as well as the European cup.

Can you just not accept defeat gracefully?. On the night we were second best thats all. Leave the players alone, they played their hearts out to a man.

Why you trying to misrepresent what i actually meant? I admitted Atleti were better in both matches! but you expect everyone to give the performance of their lives in these kind of match as they come once a in while!

And never said Cahill was shit through out the season and must be sold! It's UCL semi-final for fucks sake 1 win and you're 1 step from lifting that damn trophy! we came this far why let it slip easily now! you expect certain players to man up and give their 100 percent 120 percent if you will. Schwarzer i accept he is really old you can not ask him to perform like Courtois but Cahill he was under performing tonight. that what's pisses me off.

The 3 goal they scored wasn't down to their brilliance but our own mistakes!

Well that's a defeat that is very easy to digest.

Often times we have been outdone by a bad call from a ref or last minute mistake.

Here the best team won hands down.

And we got nothing else to do but congratulate them and for us to analyse the season and fix the problems that have been a recurring theme.

Stop talking sense mate.

Disappointing result, but Atletico were fantastic especially in the second half,. They can drop deep and defend as well as keep possession with ease, very balanced side. As i said i'm disappointed but we'll be back, out of all the semi's this will be the easiest to get over, we haven't lost due to a controversial decision or any other BS, we just have to hold our hands up and admit we weren't good enough.

I brought this point up after his injury. It's not just about the actually keeping but the organizing of the defense. The keeper is the first organizer because he can see everything.

Also I don't pretend I understand anything about it but I've always got the impression if a keeper and defenders play a lot together they "feel" each other - like knowing without looking where Cech is going to move in this or that situation, when he needs help or when he can be relied on to sort everything out by himself, this sort of thing.

But still I have nothing to criticize Schwarzer for. He's done well every time he was in. Even in this Sunderland goal - he made mistake not catching the ball, but the defense left him absolutely alone so part of the blame is on them.