Kurt Zouma

Mufassir08

1 hour ago, chippy said:

But its not just simply about finding someone who's comfortable on the ball. 

Are they big enough, strong enough and quick enough too? Zouma is all three of those. He's also a goal threat at set pieces for us too. Also, although he never looks good on the ball his passing isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be.  

Overall, I'd say he's about as good as most of the 4th choice CB's at the top 6 clubs.

Those other qualities you mentioned are generally required for a top CB. The reason why the passing ability is mentioned is because of our playing style, we want to play out from the back. We need center backs who are comfortable with the ball and capable of making progressive passes with it. The ability on the ball has always been a problem for Zouma; it's arguably his biggest weakness. You say whatever he has is good enough for a 4th choice CB but the problem is, Azpi and Silva aren't getting any younger and if we're gonna rotate the CBs more often than not, then the 4th choice, the 5th choice has to be good enough on the ball as well, on top of having other qualities. This is also important if we are gonna stick with the back 3 system. 

Kurt Zouma, not Jorginho, will pay the highest price for the calamity against Arsenal

https://theathletic.com/2585414/2021/05/13/kurt-zouma-not-jorginho-will-pay-the-highest-price-for-the-calamity-against-arsenal/

GettyImages-1232859078-scaled-e1620909698219-1024x683.jpg

The case seems cut and dry.

If anyone is to be found guilty over Chelsea’s surprise loss to Arsenal, most people will point the finger in Jorginho’s direction.

It was his strongly hit and poorly directed back-pass in the 16th minute which led to Arsenal’s only significant chance of the encounter and Emile Smith Rowe’s winning goal. However, while the midfielder was undoubtedly a culprit for what took place, Kurt Zouma should be accused of being an accessory.

Significant post-match analysis of the incident for Australian broadcaster Optus Sport conducted by former Chelsea manager Glenn Hoddle and ex-Arsenal striker Ian Wright emerged online soon after the final whistle. It highlighted what a crucial role the France defender played in the goal.

Zouma was picked to play on the left of a three-man central defence in the absence of the in-form Antonio Rudiger, who was rested because head coach Thomas Tuchel was concerned about the German being an injury risk having featured in a lot of matches recently.

While the decision was understandable, it proved costly.

Zouma is Chelsea’s best defender in the air but arguably their weakest when the ball is at his feet and it was this deficiency that came back to haunt them last night.

As Zouma first received the ball, the 26-year-old had a simple task of either passing the ball to left-back Ben Chilwell or to goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga. Instead, he switches it inside to Jorginho, who is quickly pressed, although there is still no danger at this stage because the midfielder plays it back to Zouma again.

Zouma then has another opportunity to find Chilwell or midfielder Billy Gilmour but again opts for Jorginho. Smith Rowe is even closer to the Italy international this time and that leads Jorginho to knock it back towards his own goal in a hurry, with calamity ensuing.

Both pundits in the studio were damning.

Wright said: “He (Zouma) is actually saying, ‘I need options’, but he’s got options. He had a couple of opportunities in this move. I always thought it was a weakness — Kurt Zouma.”

Hoddle added: “If that ball goes into Gilmour, like it should have done, we’d be saying, ‘Look how they played through the press’, and Chelsea would have been right at Arsenal. The difference is that poor decision from Zouma, to go back to Jorginho. Jorginho has panicked, and then all this happens.”

Everyone makes mistakes, but the timing of Zouma’s awkward intervention is not the best for him. Tuchel will be figuring out who he can trust to play in defence for the FA Cup final on Saturday and Champions League final two weeks later, and this is likely to count against him.

It doesn’t help his cause that Zouma also looked vulnerable in the 2-1 victory over Manchester City at the weekend after he came on as a substitute for the injured Andreas Christensen shortly after half-time.

He let Raheem Sterling run in behind him on two occasions. On the first, it took a superb recovery tackle to deny the England international. But for the second he could have conceded a penalty after an awkward collision, although Sterling did seem to help engineer the contact.

Since taking over in late January, Tuchel has made Cesar Azpilicueta, Thiago Silva, Rudiger and Christensen his preferred options to choose from in his back three.

Christensen is a doubt due to the muscle injury sustained in Manchester, so one strongly suspects Tuchel will opt for the trio of Azpilicueta, Silva and Rudiger against Leicester at Wembley, with Reece James as the right wing-back.

And given the flaws City exposed in that Premier League match last Saturday, it is doubtful Zouma will get a chance to face them from the start in the Champions League final in Porto on May 29.

In contrast, Jorginho will still have a great chance of featuring in both finals.

His error against Arsenal could be considered the worst of the two, but Zouma is set to pay a far heavier price for his.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Linked with Roma, Everton, Spurs and Wolves. Personally think Serie A and Mourinho would suit him extremely well

Yeah, well £30-£35m is the price, so they'll need to cough up if they want him. 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Yeah, well £30-£35m is the price, so they'll need to cough up if they want him. 

That's very optimistic considering the state of these Italian sides. Word is that Roma want Zouma on loan with an option to buy.

2 hours ago, Jas said:

That's very optimistic considering the state of these Italian sides. Word is that Roma want Zouma on loan with an option to buy.

Then can jog on then. They'll be plenty of PL clubs that will pony up for Zouma. No need to loan him to Italy. 

7 hours ago, Jas said:

make it an OBLIGATION to buy and deal

massive win for us as it also gets him away from EPL teams who could be REALLY improved by him

Edited by Vesper

• 1 month later...

Don’t fully agree with this move, still think he has plenty to offer here although its clear he isn’t first choice. Plus we lose another aerial threat in the squad.

Lets hope Kounde is as good as everyone makes out….second coming of Maldini reading some of the comments here. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

39 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Don’t fully agree with this move, still think he has plenty to offer here although its clear he isn’t first choice. Plus we lose another aerial threat in the squad.

Lets hope Kounde is as good as everyone makes out….second coming of Maldini reading some of the comments here. 

Let's be honest if it weren't for Lampard this would have happened sooner.

Conte, Sarri and Tuchel have all came to the same conclusion with him. He has his strengths but I feel he's been massively overrated by the fanbase over the years.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Let's be honest if it weren't for Lampard this would have happened sooner.

Conte, Sarri and Tuchel have all came to the same conclusion with him. He has his strengths but I feel he's been massively overrated by the fanbase over the years.

True enough regarding his strengths and then weaknesses such as on the ball and reading the play at times but I do think for a 4th choice CB, he is not exactly the worst option either.

I mean the boy Kounde looks talented but who’s place is he taking? Azpis? Rudigers? Silvas? Even then we have Christensen and Chalobah also. I don’t think he’s necessarily coming straight into the starting 11, which is why I find it odd we are moving someone out who is perhaps more likely to be content as a 4th choice and buying a 50m+ CB when we still haven’t addressed midfield yet.

Edited by OneMoSalah

58 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

True enough regarding his strengths and then weaknesses such as on the ball and reading the play at times but I do think for a 4th choice CB, he is not exactly the worst option either.

I mean the boy Kounde looks talented but who’s place is he taking? Azpis? Rudigers? Silvas? Even then we have Christensen and Chalobah also. I don’t think he’s necessarily coming straight into the starting 11, which is why I find it odd we are moving someone out who is perhaps more likely to be content as a 4th choice and buying a 50m+ CB when we still haven’t addressed midfield yet.

Azpi's legs are gone, same with Silva. Replacing both with a younger CB is smart business