Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

What on earth? Hazard was a workhorse doing very well tracking bac to help. Bertrand had a terrible game but he's young and will learn.

Hazard's help for Bertrand was poor. There were times, especially in the first half, when Bertrand had to go forward (although, we weren't really in full control) because Hazard was not on his left site (nor was Mata or whoever was supposed to take over Hazard's position while rotating), and as soon as we lost the ball, we were fucked. What happened were long passes down the left flank into space and no one to cover for Bertrand. We were absolutely exposed for not having a "normal" width.

Hazard' help for Bertrand was poor. There were times, especially in the first half, when Bertrand had to go forward (although, we weren't really in full control) because Hazard was not on his left site (nor was Mata or whoever was supposed to take over Hazard's position while rotating), and as soon as we lost the ball, we were fucked. What happened were long passes down the left flank into space and no one to cover for Bertrand. We were absolutely exposed for not having a "normal" width.

Hazard's help for Bertrand was exactly what you would expect from a CAM/winger. Bertrand just had a very poor game, thats it. Hopefully, he learns from this game & shows his true ability in future games for Chelsea.

I feel the same way about Bertrand I did before the game. The people who thought that he could easily take over from Cole were always being ridiculous. He's played what, 5 or 6 games at a high level at LB in his life? He needs time. It's possible he'll turn out to be an excellent LB and it's possible he will never be good enough to start regularly for us.

It was the worst exibithion in recent years with a Chelsea shirt.

Well as long as we're not exaggerating :rolleyes:

He had a bad first half. It happens, especially when he is having his CL debut at LB. And his job was not not made any easier by Hazard leaving him alone vs Willian and Serna.

unbeliveable, one off game for Bert and thy start this, bertrand is quality and he has shown it quite often for us, glad you wheren't here when Lamps was here at 21 to 25, lamps was avarage till he was 25, grow up, its not about the age, especially not in that defensive area... can't belive this...

cole had 4 off games in a row, why don't you slate him?...

Bertrand had a very difficult night. Even the great Ashley Cole struggles without help from his midfielders so Bertrand stood little chance. The good thing is we're not going to play against teams as good as Shakhtar and monster players like Srna every week.

Srna is really good. He has put in two clinics on how a RB should play in the two games.

One thing I think is a problem for Bertrand is he always passes back and doesn't seem comfortable under pressure. It's an issue now but will be even bigger if he has plans on becoming first choice once Ashley moves on.

Well as long as we're not exaggerating :rolleyes:

He had a bad first half. It happens, especially when he is having his CL debut at LB. And his job was not not made any easier by Hazard leaving him alone vs Willian and Serna.

Jus tell me one worse display than the Bertrands horror show yesterday.

lets not forget (If I'm right) he gave an assist... and his crossing is right now 10 times the crossing of cole...

How?

But in all seriousness, i think every defender is wrongly being over judged by their attacking ability. TBH, i am not too bothered about his crossing, if he can defend then thats the main thing. We have an attacking 5 whose main aim is to create things. Yes it is helpful if our right and left back can cross to provide width and cross the ball in but their number one priority has got to be their defensive skills, and in that he had a bad game. One bad game though, doesn't mean he is "complete shit" or other stuff i have heard. He had a bad game, he has to go away and work on it and go from there.

Jus tell me one worse display than the Bertrands horror show yesterday.

90% of Torres or Bosingwa's performances in a Chelsea shirt.

Drogba's performance away to Wigan last season.

Ross Turnbull at Anfield.

Kaloudanelka's displays for most of Carlo's second season and AVB's tenure.

To name a few.

Bertrand had a fucking nightmare yesterday. Any player with pace (ie the whole Shakhtar team) was skipping past him like he wasn't there. Plus, he must have slipped over twice. His overall positioning was shocking, to such an extent our most creative player (Hazard) had to come back and double-up. Ivanovic had an average game at right-back, but I can count on the fingers on one hand the amount of times he got beat yesterday. Bertrand was roasted alive.

We have to be very patient with Ryan. People saying he is ready to be Cole's successor are rather wide of the mark. He is still very young and has good potential, so we must give him chance to improve. But he is certainly streets behind Cole, or even Baines, at present.

One poor game on his CL debut at LB doesn't change what a good prospect he is. I'm not worried about Bertrand's ability at all. Cole was just as poor against Swansea and Moses himself just as had on his CL debut against Nordsjeblah.

90% of Torres or Bosingwa's performances in a Chelsea shirt.

Drogba's performance away to Wigan last season.

Ross Turnbull at Anfield.

Kaloudanelka's displays for most of Carlo's second season and AVB's tenure.

To name a few.

Th fact you put one match against Wigan in the table, shows you are missing one point.

The meaning of Bertrands mistake could be as simple as Chelsea being the first european champiom knocked out of UCL in the group stages since Nothingham Forest in 1981.

I dont remember when the players you mentioned made crucial erros that coasted us so much.

Terry against Liverpool last season, Turnbull in that same match, Luiz against utd last week, anytime Bosingwa was on the field..etc

Well, what is a match against Liverpool (a mid table team) compared with a crucial match in UCL?

Well, we never lost a trophy because of Bosingwa, and we never got knocked out in the group stage because of him, and to be fair, Bosingwa never played so bad as Bertrand yesterday, in fact I remeber great matches by the Portuguese, like when he played against Barcelona.

I never understood why RDM believes Bertrand is ready for the first team, because he is not even close. Perhaps in the future.