Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

• 2 weeks later...

I think Ryan has grown so much when you think back over the last few years and I think he will continue to do that.When he reaches his very very best,I think he may well be one of the best! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I like his contribution at LM against packed teams, he won't produce a lot of stuff with the ball (even if I'm convinced he can, re: his assist for Malouda and his shot against Newcastle). Most of his contribution is without the ball actually

He features what few feature in the squad: runs, runs through space, following second balls (Mata does too, though) and toward the outside of the field. Thus he creates space, roots the full back and allows both Cole to overlap or Lampard to insert at the edge of the box. That was obvious against Stoke.

He does what is expected from him as a squad player

On Bertrand, I disagree on nearly all points.

Ok, on counter-attacks, he can do good runs but it's not Ramires but defensively he's not that good, not that good pressing the ball, not that good cutting the passing lanes.

Link-up play is bad and for his runs agaisnt Packed teams, against stoke I didn't find him very good, there was a play where there was a huge gap inside the box behind two players that were in front of Hazard and he did an outside run close the line.

I've not seen him making a good match, only averages one. Offered little in defense and offense, often off tempo defensively eventhough he's supposed to add in that department.

How did he perform last week against Ajax? I only know Vitesse won and PvA scored!

He struggled a bit initially but growed into the game.One thing that i have noted about him this season is that his attacking game has improved a lot.I think right back should be his main position from now on.

He's a pretty strong, solid LB but is a hopeless LW. I really hope Benitez or any future manager we have don't try and keep playing him LW just to try and accommodate him in the side. I'd like to see him start being a bit more attacking though, like Luke Shaw, he has it in his locker to be very Bale Like (Shaw), don't forget Bale was a LB only 4 years ago and his whole career at Saints. Bertrand doesn't have the attacking, beating a man and getting a cross over element that Ash has. He really needs to add that string to his bow to make it here. He can do it, he has done it before but he's not ambitious enough too often. At the moment, Ryan Bertrand is just a bog standard left back.