Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

All the hype with Hazard, Oscar, Torres and such for this game but this caught my eye more...the partnership that there is with Cole and Bertrand.

It was clear to see how well it worked against Bayern, and today looked even better.

They where so good with each other complementing each other and destroying everything they could on their side.

Giving that we might not be ready to challenge for the tittle or take the likes of Real Madrid in a CL match, this Ryan-Cole partnership in that side of the field might give us a fighting chance against tougher oppositions.

I don't think it's right playing Ryan LW just because he can't get in the team ahead of Ash. He seems too desperate to fit him in. If Robbie really trusts Ryan, he'll let Ash have a rest in the cups and against the likes of Wigan, West Ham, Southampton and play Bertrand 10-15 times a season as our LB. I like Bertrand a lot but as a winger, he doesn't have the desire or skill to beat a man and attack. He always wants to go back or get rid of the ball.

Ok he may develop it into his game, he has the pace for sure but leaving out Sturridge who is desperate to play for Bertrand isn't the right way to go about it. he was ok today tho i suppose. Needed to try n test their RB more tho.

explanation for playing Bertrand on the wing???

dont get me wrong, i like Ryan, and hes a superb replacement for Ashley AND i think playing him on the wing is a great idea against teams that have a strong right side as Bertrand will supply the extra defense. BUT against the weaker teams... why? Oscar should have started instead.

I guess maybe he was just giving a rest to Oscar because of the olympics, and Marin is injured...

solved my own query. brilliant.

W/ the emergence of Bertrand, I don't find the need of Adam Johnson any longer. I was looking today on the transfer forum & there were 2 separate threads for Adam Johnson, w/ over 150 posts each. Bertrand is working w/ his mentor Ashley Cole & that along will help him get better. Another reason to resign Ashley, as we all know Ashley wants more jack to get another Aston Martin ;)

Betrand is so defensively good he is wasted on the wing and i am worried about him getting too comfortable there.

On the wing he knows if he gets skinned (which is a very rare occurance) Ash is behind him to bail him out, if he gets too used to that, it will take a while to get use to him not having that when Ash leaves and he is first choice.

IMHO it should be a slow transition of who is first choice left back, starting with Ryan there tonight against The Royals.

Is anyone else a fan of him on the wing? very, very solid defensively (with Cole), and if Bertrand can sharpen up a bit offensively, then who knows...

he's lightning quick.

Yep, I think he's decent there. When (rather than if) we are to park the bus again sometime in a big game, having Bertrand and Ramires on the wings would be great. :lol:

However, I don't think he will be playing LW a lot. Plenty of playing time for him at LB because I just can't see Cole playing every game anymore and Ryan is more than capable of stepping up when needed. Also, when we get Marin back from injury we will have more options for LW and then there's also the possibility of adding yet another winger in Moses or Hulk so we wouldn't need Hazard / Mata to play RW ever, allowing them to make that LW position their own and limiting Bertrand's playing time there even further. Nonetheless, Bertrand makes for an interesting alternative if we want to try something else or if there are a lot of injuries.

Hopefully Ryan gets the nod ahead of Cole today. Reading are not the strongest of opponents so I think he's capable of handling it just as good as Cole. Playing God knows how many competitive games in a row would do great things to his confidence. Also he should be know Reading well enough, having spent the 09/10 season there on loan.