Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

This is a player who has had a shit load of games for the club in the last 5 years or so. He has not developed and the only skill he has is he is at the right place at the right time in the box but even then his finishing is shocking. He is very poor technically, he is not a patch on Sturridge in anyway shape or form except maybe poaching goals but even that is debatable. Anelka is still a much better option despite him being at the twilight of his career. Kalou is a poor player and he should be sold to someone like Bolton or Sunderland.

This guy is a rock defensively but he's pretty average going forward judging by the few games I've seen of him, has a solid cross on him but lacks the pace/energy levels or dribbling to make him a top class full back, imo.

Still a solid player that I like very much.

Bertrand is a player very much in the Ashley Cole mould. He is very good at getting forward and has a great cross on him. The experience he has over VanAanholt is massive. Van Aanholt is more in the mould of Bosingwa in as much that he gets forward with good pace and has a great shot on him but is very prone in defensive situations. Whilst i will be happy to have both once Ash retires personally i think Bertrand is the better option at the moment.

Bertrand is a player very much in the Ashley Cole mould. He is very good at getting forward and has a great cross on him. The experience he has over VanAanholt is massive. Van Aanholt is more in the mould of Bosingwa in as much that he gets forward with good pace and has a great shot on him but is very prone in defensive situations. Whilst i will be happy to have both once Ash retires personally i think Bertrand is the better option at the moment.

I don't know...Ash was always good going forward. I thought this was due to the fact that he started out as a striker in his early days giving him good attacking sense. IMO, it has given him an advantage over the conventional full back...

How is Aziz doing? And what about Nditi?

Strangely Aziz has hardly been used since the FA Youth cup. Strange as he was putting in some great performances and looked a real contender to push both Bertrand and PVA. Having at different times last season and this PVA and Bertrand around has made it very difficult for him to break into the reserves as they are being game time.

Nditi is being used more as a winger than a left back but he seems to be doing OK at the moment.

Me too I think Van Aanholt is more productive going forward.

I'd argue otherwise based on 'productivity'. Patch is more expansive and direct going forwards but in terms or productivity, Ryan trumps him because his quality crossing makes up for the fewer forward forays. Quality over quantity and all that. Yes Patch is more attractive to watch but his lax defending is equally worrisome.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ryan is a better stand-in for Ash, but that's hardly surprising considering the age and experience advantage he enjoys over Patch.

I prefer Bertrand to Aanholt, mainly cause he's a much better defender. If you're a left back you're first job is to defend, and we shouldn't be employing both full backs that have a mistake in em. That said, I do want us to keep Aanholt. Bos-Cole works cause Cole is a beast defensively, just like Bos-Bertrand would work. If Ivan plays right back then Aanholt would be better choice at LB, since he can be the one attacking.