Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

was really good. specially in the 2nd half when pool went 4-3-3 and suarez and sterling were playing very much as RW. did well to keep them quite but seemed very leggy at the end... probably that would be taken care of when he starts getting gametime.

Bertrand is a brilliant defender. Better than Ivanovic & Azpi for me, disgrace he didn't get another game after a MOTM performance against Arsenal at the Emirates.

Liverpool & Tottenham will be sniffing around after his Villa loan spell.

I have family in Reading and i was up there a lot when Ryan was at the club on loan and from that time i said what im saying now, he's decent at everything but isnt outstanding at anything, that formula makes for a good squad player.

When I think of Azpilicueta I think the same thing, I can't think of anything about his play that is exceptional - but he's still a good player and currently our best full back in my opinion.

I agree with you, and wanted Bertrand to start over Cole many times this season due to him just being better in both attacking and defensive duties than Cole in the few appearances he's made. Unfortunately the manager doesn't see it like that so there's not much to say.

No one said Shaw is a better defender than Bertrand though, in fact Shaw isn't even much better than Bertrand anyway, but what Shaw has over Ryan is that he has a lot more scope for improvement, whereas Ryan has pretty much capped his development in my opinion.

You're right in saying that he's not as average as many make him out to be though.

I've wondered about it quite a few times this season. Granted, the timing of Ryan's injury did not help his chances of regaining a starting eleven spot.

But I think a reason is Ryan's personality as a player hasn't really struck a chord with Mourinho. Bertrand is very hard-working, and follows his manager's instruction to the letter, but he isn't someone as aggressive, as say Sturridge, to really fight for his spot. He seems quite content playing second-fiddle to other full-backs and just being a good team player. That's probably why Mourinho never felt compelled to give him more game-time.

It says a lot about his fitness, work ethic etc that despite not playing in ages, he went to a completely new club, started at Anfield within days and put in a solid performance.

I've always liked him. He seemed genuinely grateful every time he was selected to play and never whined when he wasn't. Really hope to see him become a Premier League regular.

I actually think he's been better than Cole with the limited appearances he's made over the past 2 seasons but people are blinded by ashley cole's glittering reputation and their lowly perception of bertrand as nothing more than a squad player

Ashley Cole has received plenty of criticism both on here and in the stands. Not sure who you think is being blinded by his 'glittering reputation'.

Even the same Shaw that people are creaming themselves over is inferior defensively to Bertie and the only thing the youngster has over him is the silky touches and overall offensive game. Once people form a perception of you early on it's almost impossible to shake it. which is why till this day, people still view players like Walcott, sturridge et al as nothing more than average despite stellar and consistent performances from them over the past 18 months.

Again, not sure which people you're talking about here. Walcott is very much removed from the player he once was and most football supporters I know recognise that.

but you are not allowed to go against the popular opinion around here, otherwise you are labelled a troll.

I think the only people who get labelled trolls are trolls. I think the only thing you've been labelled as is extremely negative. You seem to moan about a lot of things, but that doesn't make you a troll. Everything just seems to have a negative spin to it be it Ake's inclusion in the first team squad or wins away to Hull.

Bertrand is a brilliant defender. Better than Ivanovic & Azpi for me, disgrace he didn't get another game after a MOTM performance against Arsenal at the Emirates.

Liverpool & Tottenham will be sniffing around after his Villa loan spell.

He had a decent game up against Miyaichi for most of the game, but he was hardly spectacular. Essien looked pretty good in that game too from what I recall. People are always quick to label it a disgrace or unfair when a player doesn't get selected, but he has no divine right to be picked. He's made 200 first-team appearances in his career and that's a big enough sample size for the club to judge what type of future he has. I've never really seen any supporters rave over him. He's a good player and I don't know why people feel the need to suggest he's any more than that.

The only reason to play Cole is to have experience. Its hard to pick between the 2, but Cole does has the experience in games. How many times have u seen Cole clearing the ball off the line? Countless!

Not sure if Betrand can do the same!

But I'm a Betrand fan over Shaw

Ashley Cole has received plenty of criticism both on here and in the stands. Not sure who you think is being blinded by his 'glittering reputation'.

Again, not sure which people you're talking about here. Walcott is very much removed from the player he once was and most football supporters I know recognise that.

You can't be further from the truth even if you tried, just last month the decision to bench him for dave was met by widespread criticism from fans (not neccessarily on talkchelsea) and the media in general who still think it's 2006. I can only imagine if it was berttrand that took his place instead. in regards to walcott, many still view him as that all pace and no brain player who pops up with goals now and then. I was referring to general opinion that's not exclusive to this site

I think the only people who get labelled trolls are trolls. I think the only thing you've been labelled as is extremely negative. You seem to moan about a lot of things, but that doesn't make you a troll. Everything just seems to have a negative spin to it be it Ake's inclusion in the first team squad or wins away to Hull.

What some consider negative is what others like me see as being realistic, blunt, honest and unbiased and that's what makes life intersting. we can't all be " positive and lovey dovey" otherwise football discussions on chelsea forums in general would generally just go along the lines of

poster 1- Ramires is the best midfielder in the epl, Hazard is Europe's MVP and we are playing the best football on the planet

poster 2- yes that's correct

poster 3- absolutely

Poster4- ktbffh

wash rinse and repeat or something to that effect

I remember April last year when Bertrand got his run off games in Cole's absence and that's when people started to say he won't be Cole's long term successor.

Ferreira hardly ever had a terrible game for us yet that didn't stop people pining for a new RB for pretty much his whole time here.

I don't agree with the loan because he is a very good squad player but this is yet another case off a players reputation being enchanced by not playing.

You can't be further from the truth even if you tried, just last month the decision to bench him for dave was met by widespread criticism from fans (not neccessarily on talkchelsea) and the media in general who still think it's 2006. I can only imagine if it was berttrand that took his place instead. in regards to walcott, many still view him as that all pace and no brain player who pops up with goals now and then. I was referring to general opinion that's not exclusive to this site

You must know different fans to me because Ashley Cole's decline has been noticeable to most people who follow this club for a while now. It's why there's such a groundswell of support for the signing of Shaw.

What some consider negative is what others like me see as being realistic, blunt, honest and unbiased and that's what makes life intersting. we can't all be " positive and lovey dovey" otherwise football discussions on chelsea forums in general would generally just go along the lines of

I'm sure you do see yourself as those things, but the very fact that you think you're unburdened by bias is rather hilarious. Not to burst your little bubble but we all have ingrained biases, and I also think that every member here posts honestly.

It's interesting that what you view as 'realistic' is what others view as negative.

i just hope he plays really well forces his way into the team and into mou's plans.

ideally i would like us to buy shaw now, and the next season bring back bertrand. and have these 2 as our LBs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the MOTD highlights

he played a important part in preventing west ham goal in 1st half

but 2nd half got tricked or skinned by downing to send a cross in for the first goal. i wont say it is his fault, but he got tricked a little bit far to easily though. the left midfield didnt help him out. was it abonlahor? or delpth?

however the central defense could had do better to mark nolan. not sure what baker was doing by leaving nolan free. delth was ball watching