Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

I watched the extended highlights on Football First just to watch Berty's performance. Very average. He does some excellent work, only to undo it. The way Downing skipped past him was embarrassing. And people say he's better than Shaw? Still not convinced. I think Villa is about his level, in truth. Villa are a great club with a wonderful history, but they are building for the future and they have an onus on players of around Ryan's age. He'll get good positional security at Villa and it might enhance his overall game by playing regularly. Good player, just not quite Chelsea first-choice LB standard in my honest opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Ryan as a player. That's why I hope we sell him to Villa or any other mid-table team at the end of the season. He really is capable of having a very good career and even being a regular with the NT if he keeps playing regularly.

He's perfect for Villa. The way they play he'll be a key player.I can see why some of you feel letting him go would be best for him, its probably true. Shaw will come here eventually maybe not this year but eventually he will be a Chelsea player. The question is do we use Ryan or PVA to fill in for that season or two?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Bertrand has had enough and I don't blame him..

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-bertrand-would-consider-permanent-6876145

“It’s flattering to hear what Jose Mourinho said but there’s no more waiting around for me in terms of wanting to be a Chelsea player,” said Bertrand.

“Come the summer I need to be the No.1 left-back, wherever that will be.

“I have ambitions but I have to be realistic as well. I will sit down and consider all my options.

“Staying here isn’t something I would rule out. I’ve had years of playing but since I was 17 I have been on loan, basically.

‘‘I’ve spent the past few years at Chelsea, in and out of the team, and the experience I’ve gained from that is I’m happy just playing. That’s what it comes down to in football.

“If you’re getting the respect from your peers that you deserve, that means a lot.”

The thing is, he's a really decent LB. I'd take him in a heart beat over the likes of Gibbs and Flanagan. But we're just looking for better than that.

I really like Ryan, and I think making a permanent move to Villa, or even replacing Shaw at Southampton, would be good for him.

The thing is, he's a really decent LB. I'd take him in a heart beat over the likes of Gibbs and Flanagan. But we're just looking for better than that.

I really like Ryan, and I think making a permanent move to Villa, or even replacing Shaw at Southampton, would be good for him.

A deal with Southampton for Shaw and Bertrand + cash going the other way makes a lot of sense :)

A deal with Southampton for Shaw and Bertrand + cash going the other way makes a lot of sense :)

Not really. Specially if pochetino stays. Bertrand is good defensively but offers very little up ahead. Soton like their fullbacks getting forward and helping. Dont think he fits the bill for them