Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

24 year old - FA cup, CL and EL. playing for chelsea. interests from pool and spurs. spectacularly average indeed. :lol:

Have you seen John O Shea's CV?

He at best is a good squad player for us but he doesn't want that, infact ask a Villa fan about his time there and none are overwhelmed.

He seems to be over rated by us because he started in the best night in our history, so did Bosingwa.

He at best is a good squad player for us but he doesn't want that, infact ask a Villa fan about his time there and none are overwhelmed.

He seems to be over rated by us because he started in the best night in our history, so did Bosingwa.

And Kalou!

Sometimes I forget just how unbelievable that win is.

24 year old - FA cup, CL and EL. playing for chelsea. interests from pool and spurs. spectacularly average indeed. :lol:

While I don't necessarily agree with TOPTB's view about Bertrand, not sure that is a good counter point though. I mean, Torres has won an FA Cup, Champions League and Europa League as well but look at his state...

While I don't necessarily agree with TOPTB's view about Bertrand, not sure that is a good counter point though. I mean, Torres has won an FA Cup, Champions League and Europa League as well but look at his state...

players like john o shea are vitally important for any club. u cant have 25 world class players. a squad will have players who are kept to fill in the spaces and nothing more. no one is saying that bertand is the next cole, but to have a CL and an EL at the age of 24 can hardly constitute an average career (and thats what he said). most players would dream to have THAT average career.

also how is RB over-rated? none of us are saying that he should be our 1st choice LB and hardly anyone says that he should play ahead of azpi even.

players like john o shea are vitally important for any club. u cant have 25 world class players. a squad will have players who are kept to fill in the spaces and nothing more. no one is saying that bertand is the next cole, but to have a CL and an EL at the age of 24 can hardly constitute an average career (and thats what he said). most players would dream to have THAT average career.

also how is RB over-rated? none of us are saying that he should be our 1st choice LB and hardly anyone says that he should play ahead of azpi even.

Like I said, I don't really agree with TOPTB's point about Bertrand either but just that your counter point wasn't too convincing. That's all.

I'm in the minority of those that rate Bertrand as a solid left back good enough to be back up for a top side like ours then. defensively he rarely puts a wrong in for us which leaves me baffled at the staggering amount of people that do not rate him at all. The popularity and allure of attacking fullbacks have made Bertand type fullbacks unfashionable and in danger of becoming extinct which is a shame.

No I don't think you're in the minority at all with your opinion. Bertrand is a very solid left-back, not necessarily one I would trust to be first choice but still more than good enough to play second fiddle to a player like Filipe Luis. Only remember a couple of really bad performances from Bertrand, with the Shakhtar Donetsk game where he was constantly skinned by Willian and Srna in 2012 probably being the worst game of his career but other than that he's usually a 7/10 player whose hard work goes unnoticed because he just does his job without doing any fancy tricks everyone likes nowadays.

Would love to still have him as backup next season but clearly he doesn't want to stay so might be best to let him move on. If the club can get the rumoured £8m price for him then I won't have a problem with him going.

I'm in the minority of those that rate Bertrand as a solid left back good enough to be back up for a top side like ours then. defensively he rarely puts a wrong in for us which leaves me baffled at the staggering amount of people that do not rate him at all. The popularity and allure of attacking fullbacks have made Bertand type fullbacks unfashionable and in danger of becoming extinct which is a shame.

well I agree with you ,, I think he is a perfectly adequate back up player

Basically we are all saying the same thing just In different ways :lol:

Basically he's a perfectly adequate player who you wouldn't actually want to have to play for us, but as a back-up to the back-up he's perfectly capable so long as we don't expect him to do much going forward or a huge amount of defensive work.

Based on these remarkable comments on his ability I feel I should add that I've heard he makes a great cup of tea, keeps his area of the changing room clean and always lets the other players borrow his deodorant.

But there's a reason that everyone was surprised that he managed a move to Chelsea in the first place. In fact I've heard from people who played with him as a kid that he was pretty average then as well, which just goes to show what a premium left-backs have attached to them.

Anyone seen anything of Bertrand during the pre-season training pictures? Is he injured?

I think he's already informed the club that he wishes to leave so we are not really bothering to play him in preseason. But I think I saw a pictured of him training.