Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Cant see how this loan ISNT good. The guy needs playtime and deserves it. He aint getting it atm and I understand why.

Why not just put him out of his misery and sell him permanently then. I have always believed that you sell players who aren't in the club or managers plan out of respect for the player rather than jerk them around. Kakuta is the perfect example of that in recent times (when it became increasingly clear that he was likely not going to make it here) and I'm afraid Bertrand is going that way under Mourinho as well because he simply doesn't rate him.

what's going to change when he gets back? back to square one i.e warming the bench regularly? complete waste of everyone's time.

It's good for the lad. If he impresses he returns and if he fails to, he'll leave. (shaw deal or something else.)

If he does well he rises his stock for the summer so he can then be sold. It's quite obvious that's why he's going on loan. Sadly another young player who we've failed to develop, after coming back from a good loan, to simply be a part of the squad. Some of those players left early in their Chelsea career. Bertrand shows patience/loyalty, and of course still ends up being pushed out. He's a good LB, will improve Villa immensely, and will get some deserved regular playing time after 2 and a half years of waiting.

So if Mancienne waited and showed loyalty he would be in the team now ?

Cole has been in decline since 2010 and since then we have had 5 managers and not one made the change full time, you would think if he was THAT good then atleast one would have done it.

Bertrand is a good, solid dependable squad player but that's his ceiling.

Cole has been in decline since 2010 and since then we have had 5 managers and not one made the change full time, you would think if he was THAT good then atleast one would have done it.

That's his ceiling so he will not get any better on a loan.

Even if he only makes one more appearance it would still be better than him being not available. We lack depth in the LB position and loaning him out does not help that problem. But maybe that indicates we will attempt to sign Shaw already.

Probably waiting for someone to buy him if he got a good spell at Villa, maybe £5-£8m. Then use that money and some more to buy Shaw/Ricardo Rodriguez

Well, he should rather stay for us to have a backup. Even if we buy Shaw we still have to buy a back up for him.

Well, he should rather stay for us to have a backup. Even if we buy Shaw we still have to buy a back up for him.

Yep I agree but he is a bit too good for a back up and the club feel we could get some OK money for him. Has he even played this season yet? And because he is English, a bit well known in England and is still worth £5m. The club feel we could use those fund for better signings and who could blame them.

Yep I agree but he is a bit too good for a back up and the club feel we could get some OK money for him. Has he even played this season yet? And because he is English, a bit well known in England and is still worth £5m. The club feel we could use those fund for better signings and who could blame them.

I'd much rather have a loyal and solid back up like him who has no problems being on the bench and delivers when called upon than some lousy 5m.

One thing from this article about Chelsea loaning players: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2541149/Chelseas-Bertrand-joins-Villa-loan-Mourinho-23-players-farmed-clubs.html

The picture of Omeruo and Chalobah in Middlesborough kits. Omeruo is doing a hand gesture which I have seen plenty of Chelsea players do on pictures.

Does anyone know what it means? If it means anything that is....

I rate Bertrand highly, he always plays well when called upon and would have happily seen him start for us this season - or start more anyway. Although obviously if you don't rate him as highly then I can see why you may not be as bothered but I do think people who pass him off as just a 'dependable squad player, and nothing more' underestimate his ability.

In general we simply dont trust our young players and that is the problem. We would play Bertrand only if he would shine in another club and his worth would be like 30mio. Then we would spend that money and play him. Even if he wouldnt be any better than now, as long he would have hype and be proven. Its been always like that...

Ryan put good performances every time he played this year, but still Mou didnt trust him when Cole got injured. Its pathetic as it gets in our club and "new youth players project". Its not that player isnt good, its the board who dont give him a real shot. Couple straight games, is that such a problem? Same was with Danny...look, he aint doing bad is he??

Just a theory but there is a chance that Jose has decided that Ashley Cole has not been good enough this season and may not offer him a new contract. Now, Bertrand loaned till the summer gives Jose the chance to get a fullback in now and when Cole leaves in the summer, Bertrand assumes the backup role again

Why not just put him out of his misery and sell him permanently then. I have always believed that you sell players who aren't in the club or managers plan out of respect for the player rather than jerk them around. Kakuta is the perfect example of that in recent times (when it became increasingly clear that he was likely not going to make it here) and I'm afraid Bertrand is going that way under Mourinho as well because he simply doesn't rate him.

what's going to change when he gets back? back to square one i.e warming the bench regularly? complete waste of everyone's time.

Because this loan move puts him in the shop window. Let's not forget that the guy has barely played in the last 7 months, which for a professional footballer is an eternity. Bertrand has less minutes this season than Mark Schwarzer.

There's also the issue of selling players requiring a buyer. One team he was linked to was Liverpool - you want to help them out?

please try and understand what people here are saying and worried about. bertrand was the 3rd choice LB or more correctly put he was the 4th choice full back. no one here is disagreeing with this. right? but it is also true that bertrand was a good and a viable option.having some1 like bertrand in case of an injury/suspension to our full backs would still be an okay situation than what it is right now. injuries and suspensions to defenders is nothing new. during the CL final of 2011-12, we had 2 suspended defenders (JT and iva) and 2 defenders who were coming back from injuries and had not played a game in close to a month (GC and DL).

That's fine, but is it fair to Bertrand himself to keep him around when there's little chance of him playing? People bring up rubbish about Mourinho being unfair to him, yet how is this not the fairest thing he can do for someone not in his plans? Yes if Ivanovic, Azpi and Cole get injured then we might be in trouble, but that's the same for lots of clubs.

You don't make decisions based on worst-case scenarios. When that stuff does happen on the rare occasion then the best managers adjust, plugging gaps with the likes of Luiz at left-back and Kalas at right-back. Is it perfect? No.

Am very dissapointed Betrand is not in Mourinho's plan..I thought after that Champions League sucess he was the heir aparent to the left back position..Personaly if I have to rate Betrand he is good enough to be in our squad and since Cole has past his best I thought he could eclipse him this year.. Injuries this year hasn't helped his cause either..I believe if Mourinho believed in him and gave him a descent run in the starting 11 we wouldn't need Shaw. The problem with us is we don't believe in the young talent in our team unless they shine else where... Hate to criticise but Mourinho being our Manager doesn't help our cause!

That's fine, but is it fair to Bertrand himself to keep him around when there's little chance of him playing? People bring up rubbish about Mourinho being unfair to him, yet how is this not the fairest thing he can do for someone not in his plans? Yes if Ivanovic, Azpi and Cole get injured then we might be in trouble, but that's the same for lots of clubs.

You don't make decisions based on worst-case scenarios. When that stuff does happen on the rare occasion then the best managers adjust, plugging gaps with the likes of Luiz at left-back and Kalas at right-back. Is it perfect? No.

fair??? Yes it is fair. A playrr like bertrand, ba, essien know the risk of being a squad player in a big team like chelsea, being the 4th choice full back, 3rd choice striker or the 5/6th choice midfiders. Every squad has those players and more than that every squad needs players like these who can fill in the hole once in a whilr, put in a good to average performance and simply do their job. Bertrand was such a playrr.

Also I am sure no plane would fall down on azpi, iva and cole (talk about exagerratong a situation and taking a cheap shot), but none the less, we needed bertrand. We don't have a decent srriker (I am not using world class or even good here), we have pivot issues which I hope can be solved by matic and the last thing we would want is playing make shift left back or right back in the team