Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Mourinho's probably willing to use Essien at right back, especially with an extra player in defensive midfield, which leaves us 8 players for 4 positions. Ivanovic and Kalas can play right back and centreback, Luiz can cover leftback and Azpilicueta is good in both fullback positions.

Hope it means Shaw is signing though

I read all about this at the start of the season but have forgotten since. Will try to see if I can find an article about it.

we are fine in the homegrown area,

cole, JT, GC, lamps, make 4 spots.

the 3 strikers, 5 AMs, 4CMs , azpi, iva, DL, and 2 GKS = 17 players.

plus 4 spots open for under-21 players who fill as the rest HG.

we are fine in the homegrown area,

cole, JT, GC, lamps, make 4 spots.

the 3 strikers, 5 AMs, 4CMs , azpi, iva, DL, and 2 GKS = 17 players.

plus 4 spots open for under-21 players who fill as the rest HG.

But I remember reading somewhere that Oscar still counts as U21 because his birthday is after the new year or something..

But I remember reading somewhere that Oscar still counts as U21 because his birthday is after the new year or something..

not oscar, i think that was for mvg. oscar turned 22 in september.

mvg turned 21 in december and hence for some reason he is still counted as u-21.

thats y i wrote 4cms (rambo, mikel, matic, essien)

not oscar, i think that was for mvg. oscar turned 22 in september.

mvg turned 21 in december and hence for some reason he is still counted as u-21.

thats y i wrote 4cms (rambo, mikel, matic, essien)

Great. So that means, like I said, if Essien leaves, we could get a defender like Zouma or Coentrao on loan.

Unless we are getting in another full back, loaning Bertrand out seems to be a rather risky move leaving us with only Cole, Azpi and Ivanovic. Just like now, if one is injured and we're stuck with just two. Right now, we are only playing one game a week and it's not much of a problem. However, if this situation occurs again in the remainder of the season but two get injured instead, then we are screwed.

Even if only one then is out injured, playing the other 2 every 3-4 days when the games come thick and fast (assuming if we were to progress far into the Champions League and FA Cup) is suicidal. Can't expect them to be on-form every time when fatigue is bound to kick in especially when Ivanovic and Azpi have looked spent at times this season while Cole's performance level is seemingly up and down these days depending on his level of freshness. And that is not even taking potential suspensions into account yet.

Have seen some suggesting Kalas will be the backup option replace Bertrand and while that may be a viable option, not sure how much Mourinho trusts his abilities to put him into the starting XI. If we are pushed to the dead end in this situation, then Mourinho would have to play him without any choice but right now, Kalas hasn't even played any games for us, not even in the League Cup and FA Cup.

not one bit to me.

2 injuries and we would be thread bare in our options and in football,2 injuries is not that is not unheard of.

i hope i am wrong but this move smacks more off jose and ryan's (lets put it lightly) strained relationship than anything else.

That would be the strained relationship that there's been no mention of whatsoever?

2 injuries and we're stretched in attack. 2 injuries and we're stretched in goal. 2 injuries and City are fucked in midfield.

Bertrand is third choice right-back. He's played 64 minutes in the league and that was in October. It's a move that makes sense for the player and for the club in terms of increasing the market value of a player who hasn't been considered for the first-team in almost 3 months (injured or not).

Have seen some suggesting Kalas will be the backup option replace Bertrand and while that may be a viable option, not sure how much Mourinho trusts his abilities to put him into the starting XI. If we are pushed to the dead end in this situation, then Mourinho would have to play him without any choice but right now, Kalas hasn't even played any games for us, not even in the League Cup and FA Cup.

And Bertrand has played just 64 minutes more than him in the league.

If it comes to it we have Luiz who could probably slot in at full-back. I simply don't get the fuss about us loaning him out. He wasn't part of our plans here, there are two players ahead of him in the squad, we've been linked with one of the brightest young prospects in his position and people are worried about Jose's ability to manage a squad.

If it comes to it we have Luiz who could probably slot in at full-back. I simply don't get the fuss about us loaning him out. He wasn't part of our plans here, there are two players ahead of him in the squad, we've been linked with one of the brightest young prospects in his position and people are worried about Jose's ability to manage a squad.

Luiz has played at LB before for Benfica but he hardly shone there IIRC and he even got torn to shreds once by Hulk against Porto in a match they lost 5-0. And not to mention, he has played at RB for us before against Stoke when RDM first took over and did nothing of note there.

If you don't get the fuss of this situation, then it's your own problem and views. Others have their own and doesn't make it any less valid or concerning.

Yes Bertrand hasn't played a lot this season - partly due to injuries - and has 2 players ahead of him but the issue here is the squad depth, which people are concerned about. We are left with only Cole, Azpi and Ivanovic for the FBs position and if nothing bad happens from now till end of the season, then good. However, if the worst case scenario happens, then what? We could be down to 2 or just 1 FB and flog them to death. Kalas and/or Luiz can play there and how convincing would they be there? It would suddenly leave us weak in that spot as compared to having a proper FB play in the position.

As for being linked with Shaw, he's one bright prospect but who cares about it at this point? If we are getting him in now, then good. If not, then what's the point? Given what has happened, would have no problems letting Bertrand go in the summer and get Shaw in then but now?

People are not worried about Mourinho's abilities to manage the squad. He can manage the squad but even he cannot predict when will injury(-ies), suspensions, out of form etc happen. The issue here is that people are concerned with our squad depth and the decision to loan him out.

we wont get shaw this window so I think this is a weird move. we are now left with 3 fullbacks, one of them a proper LB and Azpi who can play there. If Cole gets injured (not so unlikely considering his age) and Iva is suspended/injured too (can always happen) we are left without no fullbacks on the left side. I dont get this move unless we are promoting one boy of the academy or there is someone coming in this window. And I hope for Mou that he does not consider Essien as a RB...

That would be the strained relationship that there's been no mention of whatsoever?

2 injuries and we're stretched in attack. 2 injuries and we're stretched in goal. 2 injuries and City are fucked in midfield.

Bertrand is third choice right-back. He's played 64 minutes in the league and that was in October. It's a move that makes sense for the player and for the club in terms of increasing the market value of a player who hasn't been considered for the first-team in almost 3 months (injured or not).

again the 64 minutes??? if thats one stat then so is this that he was a STARTER in a CL final.

please try and understand what people here are saying and worried about. bertrand was the 3rd choice LB or more correctly put he was the 4th choice full back. no one here is disagreeing with this. right? but it is also true that bertrand was a good and a viable option.having some1 like bertrand in case of an injury/suspension to our full backs would still be an okay situation than what it is right now. injuries and suspensions to defenders is nothing new. during the CL final of 2011-12, we had 2 suspended defenders (JT and iva) and 2 defenders who were coming back from injuries and had not played a game in close to a month (GC and DL).

also how does it make sense in loaning him out and not kalas? if we should be worried about the development of the defender then kalas should be the one. also dont tell me that u think kalas would actually make it into any non-dead rubber match under mourinho this season. he dint start in 3 COC matches and 1 FA cup match.

and whats this about marketability. i am supposed to believe that bertrand's rated at say 5mil right now but 17 PL matches (considering that he starts each and every match for villa) would increase his price to 10mil?

as for the "relationship", dont act like u or me actually know anything that goes on in the club or the dressing room. this deal itself shows how much of an idea we have. 2 days ago bertrand was involved in a swap deal of 8mil for shaw. everything that we discuss here is our thoughts and take on what we see and watch. and the way bertrand has been treated by mou this season has been abysmal.

Apart from the fact that we are now even weaker in Lb position, I couldnt be more excited about this move. Ryan needs regular playtime and I hope he can impress in Vila. He always put best when given a chance, but was overloked by managers.

This could mean two: Shaw will arive to compete with Cole or we wont make any decision before summer, when Jose will see exactly how good is Ryan. If Ryan impress, he will be our LB, if he fails to impress, we will sell him and buy Shaw. In both cases, its better than now because having Ryan on bench forever wont help anyone.

Show your best at villa Ryan!

What's this stupid notion that this loan move is good because it will allow a player with over 150 professional caps and 28 of those for chelsea, to prove himself? what exactly is there to prove? that he's good enough to be a squad player for us? he hasn't already done that with his performances in the blue shirt?

The bottomline is for whatever reason, Jose just never rated him which is a huge shame and no amount of loan moves will change that. no need to rationalise this.

Perhaps we should have sent JT out on loan last season as well to "prove himself" since he was ostracized by the previous manager, rafa, the same thing Jose has done to ryan.

Cant see how this loan ISNT good. The guy needs playtime and deserves it. He aint getting it atm and I understand why.