Willian

Jase

Hmm that's true. But I sincerely doubt we would line up somethin like

Schurrle-hazard-salah

Which would mean hazard as a pure 10. The bull work is essential to the way we play and the solidity which right now does not seem something that EH17 can do better than willian or oscar.

If we signed a proper midfield playmaker like Gundogan or Kroos our number 10 wouldn't have to do as much dirty work IMO.

If we signed a proper midfield playmaker like Gundogan or Kroos our number 10 wouldn't have to do as much dirty work IMO.

don't think. Infact doubt if either of kroos/gundogan can do the dirty work as much as rambo.

If u meant that we ll have more possession and better possession play then maybe but lets see then

what people fail to realize is that defensive responsibilities take away from their offensive performance.

Haven't we been discussing Mata's bad form this season for months now? Do you think he simply forgot how play football in the time span of three months? No, he was bad or subpar offensively - and his stats say as much - because he was coping with what Mourinho asked him to do defensively (and in the end it was proved he couldn't cope at all, hence why we kept saying he didn't fit the system). Why is it so hard to understand that asking more defensively leads the player to get more tired, to divide his focus and efforts and just to change how he approaches the game?

so if Mata's creativity and offensive game suffered because of the other responsibilities he was asked, why can't Willian and even Oscar have the same fate (especially because they aren't anywhere near as creative as Mata)?

Mata's playing in the wing for ManU and still he's had more assists there in 3 or 4 matches than he's had here in 11 (or 15, don't even remember the number of times he's started for us this season). Is he still only a shadow of what he's used to be? Absolutely, he's been through a patch of bad form. I don't buy the playing in the wing destroys him BS. He's played in the wing for his whole career except the last two seasons, he knows how to play there too (although I agree he's way more effective in the middle, but he isn't supposed to be garbage in the wing). He's just lacking any resemblance of confidence, even happiness to play and he's been in bad form. It's a vicious circle where each of those things makes the other worse and he'll need a new season (basically a well done pre-season, without injury) to start over. He probably won't make it to Brazil in the abysmal form he is (compared to his good days). Spain has incredible depth on his position and many players are preferred over him by del Bosque. I think he could use the vacation and after a good pre-season he'll come a new player, more like the one he's used to be.

So ignoring a bit of Mata and talking about the problem in hand, Willian is coping with everything Mourinho's been asking him to do defensively and it's affecting his offensive game. He's through EPL football adaptation, has been trying to prove himself to Mourinho and Scolari. I think he's doing well (nothing exceptional, just well) under those many circumstances.

I think once we have a more reliable pivot next season with Matic already settled, and maybe just maybe, a better partner for him (here's hoping Marco really recovers well and continues from where he's stopped), Oscar and Wilian will be released of some of their defensive responsibilities, although in a Mourinho team one, at most two, players in the whole pitch are exempted from defensive responsibilities.

Fair points and you're not wrong at all but let's not pretend as if Willian, despite all these defensive responsibilities, have never found himself in the final third for us. When he has for us this season, his end product has mostly been average and/or not consistent enough. This is where he needs to improve on and fans want to see more from him especially when we know he's a quality player.

Xurli: 6 goals.

Willian: 2 goals.

Willian playing much more games. Time to Willian to stop looking like a corward near the box. He needs to shoot. Hardworking is not enough when you dont score and dont assist.

I completely get why Willian, and Oscar for that don't pop up in the final third as much as we'd like because of their defensive duties and the fact that Jose wants his number 10 to drop deep to receive the ball and create triangles with the pivot and the fullbacks, but what I do criticize Willian for and have been doing so from the start of the season is that when he does get there, his decision making in the final third and that final ball is, imo, below average. Most of the times, he seems to pick the wrong pass or wait to long to play it and the chance would be gone, or pass when he should shoot or vice versa...etc.

It's not just him, though. That's been the story of our season so far with all of our of AMs and strikers. Obviously, Hazard is a bit better than the rest, but still, all 8 players really need to improve in that aspect. That's (partially) why I disagree when people say we're one great striker from being one of the best teams in Europe, because I think for that to happen, our AMs need to improve on their decision making and chance creating in the final third as well.

I think Willian is an extremely poor player, offers nothing in the final third, holds onto the ball too long, doesn't link up with Oscar or Hazard and doesn't have the vision or execution to be able to deliver defense splitting through balls. I believe this guy's defensive work ethic is saving him on here, many too indulged by Mourinho's system and how Willian fits it rather than to see how poor he actually plays.

I would rather have Mata playing as a right winger than continue to play him. Give Salah a go, this guy is piss poor

I think Willian is an extremely poor player, offers nothing in the final third, holds onto the ball too long, doesn't link up with Oscar or Hazard and doesn't have the vision or execution to be able to deliver defense splitting through balls. I believe this guy's defensive work ethic is saving him on here, many too indulged by Mourinho's system and how Willian fits it rather than to see how poor he actually plays.

I would rather have Mata playing as a right winger than continue to play him. Give Salah a go, this guy is piss poor

:lol:

Cheers mate, he's the most expensive extremely poor player since Torres then, that must be what you meant, which is why he's playing right now for Brazil, had many clubs - including Chelsea - trying to get him out of Shakhtar and properly kicked our ass last season in the UCL.

you are well named .. are you a gala fan as well .. I think you should know Mata plays for Manure