Willian

Jase

People need to get one thing straight and that's about every other player.

You can't keep bringing their price tag and demand them to perform according to that. Who decided to pay that money is Chelsea. Many players have release clauses that are overpriced to keep the players - who are important for their clubs. Also right now attacking football players seem in general overpriced... so it really bothers me when people accuse others of not playing their transfer fee. Their wage would make sense, as that's what the club is paying to them personally. But fees are paid to other clubs, that either imposed such a price or that we offered as much.

Whoever says he's not worth 30M, it's a valid point that I even agree with, but saying he's not playing like a 30M is stupid imo as who decided or at least agreed to pay as much was Chelsea, it wasn't Willian saying he was worth that much.

I do remember hearing the figure to be around £25m (when we began hijacking the Tottenham deal), which roughly equates to €30m. I think that the British press, which they are quite often accused of doing, may well have simply changed the € to a £. You'd think that they'd actually convert the figure first but they are known not to do so sometimes and then that figure spreads like wildfire across the media.

When a club buys someone for £30m+ the fans expect that player to be world class or at least with the potential of being so, which Willian hasn't really demonstrated from an offensive viewpoint. If the figure was indeed £25m I suspect fans would have considerably lower expectations for Willian even if the actual price difference isn't much.

People need to get one thing straight and that's about every other player.

You can't keep bringing their price tag and demand them to perform according to that. Who decided to pay that money is Chelsea. Many players have release clauses that are overpriced to keep the players - who are important for their clubs. Also right now attacking football players seem in general overpriced... so it really bothers me when people accuse others of not playing their transfer fee. Their wage would make sense, as that's what the club is paying to them personally. But fees are paid to other clubs, that either imposed such a price or that we offered as much.

Whoever says he's not worth 30M, it's a valid point that I even agree with, but saying he's not playing like a 30M is stupid imo as who decided or at least agreed to pay as much was Chelsea, it wasn't Willian saying he was worth that much.

Then is it the club's fault to pay 30 M for him?

I do remember hearing the figure to be around £25m (when we began hijacking the Tottenham deal), which roughly equates to €30m. I think that the British press, which they are quite often accused of doing, may well have simply changed the € to a £. You'd think that they'd actually convert the figure first but they are known not to do so sometimes and then that figure spreads like wildfire across the media.

When a club buys someone for £30m+ the fans expect that player to be world class or at least with the potential of being so, which Willian hasn't really demonstrated from an offensive viewpoint. If the figure was indeed £25m I suspect fans would have considerably lower expectations for Willian even if the actual price difference isn't much.

I don't see how fans would have considerably lowered their expectations for Willian if we got him for £25m. A difference £5m is hardly massive and even then, £25m on its own is still a big price to pay for and Willian certainly should be doing more in the offensive third than what he has done so far, especially when we know of his qualities (price tag aside). If we had only got Willian for £5m, then you might have a strong case of fans having low expectations on him but £25m? Not a chance.

his first season in PL ,, Personally I am pleased with him and think next year he will be even better

I don't follow Ukraine's football and much less Russia's (although I did watch some matches from the latter last season), but I think it's a big jump from either. Patience is a virtue that seems hard to find these days, Ron.

I don't see how fans would have considerably lowered their expectations for Willian if we got him for £25m. A difference £5m is hardly massive and even then, £25m on its own is still a big price to pay for and Willian certainly should be doing more in the offensive third than what he has done so far, especially when we know of his qualities (price tag aside). If we had only got Willian for £5m, then you might have a strong case of fans having low expectations on him but £25m? Not a chance.

I said lower expectations, not low. But I do feel that the semantics of the price would reduce expectations. I've found that players bought for twenty-something million pounds, like Oscar, are much less constantly reminded of their price tag when they perform poorly in comparison to those who cost £30-something million. I understand the actual difference in price is very little, but I'm referring to the connotations of the prices and how costing only slightly more can increase expectations disproportionately. I agree though in that he ought to be doing more offensively because he is capable but hasn't really shown it much.

Amazing how many fickle fans we have. Every player goes through patches where they aint playing as well as they can. Willian has looked slightly hesitant in the attacking third but he has been great most of the season. Oscar is another person who is constantly attacked for not performing even though he played through an injury.

Fans were very patient with Torres though, and to an extent with Hazard (when he has bad spells).

If people want him to score more goals, that's fine. Let's let him play like Mata, and compromise our defensive rigidity and end up 6th and 3rd in the league for the next two seasons.

Why does it have to be one thing or the other? Nobody is asking Willian to score goals and produce assists in every game but we only want to see more end product from him. He's already great defensively but average offensively. Is it even wrong to suggest we want that tad more consistency and/or Willian to have that balance defensively and offensively? Right now, one can argue that we are struggling offensively because Willian, as one of the 3 AMs behind the ST, is not contributing enough from his part.

I said lower expectations, not low. But I do feel that the semantics of the price would reduce expectations. I've found that players bought for twenty-something million pounds, like Oscar, are much less constantly reminded of their price tag when they perform poorly in comparison to those who cost £30-something million. I understand the actual difference in price is very little, but I'm referring to the connotations of the prices and how costing only slightly more can increase expectations disproportionately.

Lower or low, I don't think it would make any difference anyway but point taken.

Why does it have to be one thing or the other? Nobody is asking Willian to score goals and produce assists in every game but we only want to see more end product from him. He's already great defensively but average offensively. Is it even wrong to suggest we want that tad more consistency and/or Willian to have that balance defensively and offensively? Right now, one can argue that we are struggling offensively because Willian, as one of the 3 AMs behind the ST, is not contributing enough from his part.

Lower or low, I don't think it would make any difference anyway but point taken.

It's his first season. People should be more realistic. If they want more attacking output then they can go and buy Bale and Messi on their FIFA careers.

It's his first season. People should be more realistic. If they want more attacking output then they can go and buy Bale and Messi on their FIFA careers.

Yes I know that but perhaps people may have taken this 'we must be realistic/patient' thing a tad too far. Like I said, nobody expects him to score and/or assist in every game but just produce that little bit more in the final third. Don't think that is excessive expectation by any means.

I don't follow Ukraine's football and much less Russia's (although I did watch some matches from the latter last season), but I think it's a big jump from either. Patience is a virtue that seems hard to find these days, Ron.

english saying "you can never please all the people all the time"

TC saying "some people you can never please any of the time"

patience increases with age