Fernando Torres

I was saying it's quiet because when Torres had a supposedly bad 15 minutes all hell broke lose on here.

He had a decent game today and it's quieter than anything in here.

People were using a Spain game to slag off Torres, now people are using a Spain game to praise him. Nothing wrong with that.

I think there is something wrong with both of them. I dislike this type of overreaction to individual games. It takes at least 5-10 games at the club level for it's possible to properly judge a player. It's ridiculous to write off a player because of a poor 20 minutes and it's ridiculous to say a player is great because he scored 2 goals in one game after two extremely poor seasons. We all hope Torres does well so he can carry some confidence back to Chelsea, but what he does with Spain will be essentially meaningless.

I think there is something wrong with both of them. I dislike this type of overreaction to individual games. It takes at least 5-10 games at the club level for it's possible to properly judge a player. It's ridiculous to write off a player because of a poor 20 minutes and it's ridiculous to say a player is great because he scored 2 goals in one game after two extremely poor seasons. We all hope Torres does well so he can carry some confidence back to Chelsea, but what he does with Spain will be essentially meaningless.

We can all just hope a run of games under robbie is what is required to get him firing. With drogba last season they rotated and he never got that 'run'.

He got one at the start of the season but in fairness most played pretty dire under AVB. I do believe robbie can get his confidence back high again.

Fair enough, agree with all points.

Drogba is a legend, yes, but he would have never come here if it wasn't for the money.

He originally never even wanted to come here.

Tambling and Osgood are products of our youth system and are English.

Tambling is our all time top scorer.

Osgood is known as King Of Stamford Bridge.

Zola is the finest import pre-Abramovich.

Drogba is not the greatest Chelsea striker of all time.

It's disrespectful to Tambling, Ossy and Zola to even think that.

i feel you are highly biased to homegrown players. for the sheer number of finals/semifinals he has won by himself, he deserves to be in the discussion for greatest chelsea striker

anyway, torres to start the season as our primary forward with sturridge and lukaku on hand if needed.. hulk to assume ST role if torres rots again

We can all just hope a run of games under robbie is what is required to get him firing. With drogba last season they rotated and he never got that 'run'.

He got one at the start of the season but in fairness most played pretty dire under AVB. I do believe robbie can get his confidence back high again.

Torres played in 18 matches under RDM and had 3 fabulous games against poor teams (QPR, Leicester, Villa). In the other 15 games, he had 1 goal and 1 assist. The 18 games includes 11 starts and another 5 matches where he played at least 25 minutes (including 3 matches where he played over 35 minutes as a sub.) This is not a trivial amount of playing time. It's almost half a season under RDM where Torres was very poor. As for Torres never "getting that run", he started 34 matches and subbed in another 25 last season which is way more playing time than the vast majority of Premier league strikers.

Every time Torres scores it's a big deal isn't it. Strange feeling. You know he's a striker and as such he is expected to score but damn it somehow it's still a big deal when he does it. (Not to mention the myriad of discussions that would follow)

He scored against Ireland, I'm happy he scored but I'm not impressed. No offence to our Irish friends but they are Leceister and QPR of this tournament. Fernie scoring against Ireland is pretty much equal to his accomplisments against nPower Championship teams.

Forget last season and move on, last season is over, it's happened, it wont change. Ffs Kalou was our main winger under RDM, the most hopeless cunt in our entire history and we played some pretty awful football at times which didn't suit Torres at all. Next season will be different, with Mata and Hazard and Ramires/New signing maybe Hulk.... He will have so much more chance to score and create goals for the strikers. There were numerous times last season where Sturridge, Kalou or Malouda coulda played him in but were greedy or not good enough and didn't bother.

Lets just be glad that at this present moment, he's looking a lot better than he was 12 months ago. Now Drogba has gone, he knows he's the man now. It's his time now as the main man in a fresh new young Chelsea team. He has every chance to shine.

We all know his Chelsea career hasn't taken off and he's had a nightmare but we also know he's only 28 and he's proven to be world class and i will back him and back him because i know what he can do. I reckon he's got 3 seasons left at his peak, i hope we can see the real Torres shine now that the Drogba factor has gone. He knew he was our 2nd choice striker and he was under so much pressure to do well.

Wish ppl would just stop the negative comments and give the guy a chance. A fresh start. We're European Champions, just chill and be happy.

Even so, he took his first goal well. Second one is the one we will want to re-create time and time again with Hazard, Mata and co. Sliding the ball in behind the defence. Silva does that Brillianty. At times I wish we would go after him for the RW but anyways as Spike said I hope Nando scores against some tougher teams and in more meaningful matches.

Torres played in 18 matches under RDM and had 3 fabulous games against poor teams (QPR, Leicester, Villa). In the other 15 games, he had 1 goal and 1 assist. The 18 games includes 11 starts and another 5 matches where he played at least 25 minutes (including 3 matches where he played over 35 minutes as a sub.) This is not a trivial amount of playing time. It's almost half a season under RDM where Torres was very poor. As for Torres never "getting that run", he started 34 matches and subbed in another 25 last season which is way more playing time than the vast majority of Premier league strikers.

Yes but he wasn't trusted for the big games. There's no doubt he knew and all of us knew he was second choice to drogba and that can affect confidence. I just feel the responsibility of being outright first choice next season, 'the main man' like at liverpool will be an atmosphere he'll thrive in.

The difference though will be where liverpool had noone else so played him until they burnt him out, sturridge will get games and keep torres fresh.

There is no logical reason why i think torres will do well next season, its just a gut feeling - and without comparing myself to mystic meg i did feel if we got past napoli in the second leg then we'd win the champions league!

The past 4 months he's shown positive signs, then disappeared, some more positive signs then disappears yet again.

He needs to find consistency and play well for an extended period of time.

Well he has now scored 9 goals in his last 12 starts for club and country! That's pretty consistent to me.

Well,I don't remember the names of the people who wrote him off after that 20 minute display against Italy but I guess all of them should just feel sorry for themselves.Now I am pretty sure they all would have been singing his name and praising him but the fact is fans like them really can't be called as true Chelsea fans.

Fernando Torres is a Chelsea player and deserves our support.I am glad he scored and was able to prove his critics wrong.

Well played El Nino!

some of you guys should remmeber that some of his poor run last season went along with poor supply passes, he strongle and fight for ball most games. I must tell u guy that the team played more good pass to drogber than torres now he is get supply in spain and making run and scoring, tell us as chelsea fans that all he need from his team mate is a good supply and he will score goals this season.

check him next spain game and u will see all he need from his team mate good supply passes