Fernando Torres

Offtopic:

See, that's what irritates me a bit....If they think Osgood and Zola are the best, that's fair enough, as they are an important part of the club's history and gave it whatever recognition it had before Roman arrived..but to think Drogba is not in their league, and maybe in fact a level below them? That's just ridiculous and looks like small-club mentality...

Drogba is ahead of Zola, for me. Zola stood out as an amazing player in a decent team. Drogba stood out as an amazing player in an amazing team. Its harder to stand out when you're surrounded by world class players; than it is when you're clearly a cut above the rest of the team (as was the case with Zola).

If I had to rank our strikers:

Osgood

Drogba

Dixon

Greaves

Bentley

Tambling

Jimmy Floyd

Gudjohnsen

Now to get things back on topic:

Will Torres ever get anywhere near them? Personally I doubt it.

Watching the Spain game, I know a lot of comments defending Torres have gone along the lines of 'he needs better service', but I don't think Spain's game suits him. I've watched a few times he's made runs or wanted the ball early and Spain are content with playing another few passes first. Technically they're on another level but it can be a hindrance - we showed that against Barcelona.

What I think Chelsea are building for next season is a more creative and technical supporting cast behind him but also one which is explosive. Hazard and Marin have pace to burn and plenty of tricks to beat a man. Torres will benefit from a much more direct style of play than Barca and Spain play, but not the style of directness Chelsea have played under Drogba. Whatever people say about Torres, he still has some of the best movement in world football and with players around him who can find him early or open up gaps running at defences for him to move into, I really do believe that Torres can be a success here.

I also believe such a system of play will be something that Sturridge can benefit from playing up front as well. If he's not too arrogant to learn from Torres' movement, his pace will be lethal on the back of the last defender. I'm really excited about next season already!

Credit when it's due, that was a nice finish. Hopefully he can get a couple more against Ireland in the second half.

Still takes a lot more than that to convince me he's the right man to lead the line for the Champions of Europe next season.

Spain just like to pass the ball around and side to side for 5 minutes before trying to play it through to Torres! if they just played balls in to Torres straight away when he make his runs then Torres would get plenty more very good chances to score! he keeps making good runs but the Spanish midfield just love to take their time!

Credit when it's due, that was a nice finish. Hopefully he can get a couple more against Ireland in the second half.

Still takes a lot more than that to convince me he's the right man to lead the line for the Champions of Europe next season.

he doesn't need to convince you! he has already convinced the people that matter!

Torres will be leading the line for us next season!

he doesn't need to convince you! he has already convinced the people that matter!

Torres will be leading the line for us next season!

Or maybe the "people that matter" are just desperate for our £50m striker to succeed they're willing to try anything to make it work. Just my 2 cents.

But enough with the negativity now and like some said on the match topic, it's now time to stop complaining about Torres for a week because he scored. If he scores more in the second half I'll be quiet for a month. :P