Spurs vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you're winning an opportunity to get a set piece. How is a corner different from a free kick? And the free kick thing is very problematic. If you get fouled and then the set piece is a beautiful pass that gets headed in, you no longer get the assist but if the set piece results directly in a goal, you do even though you actually did nothing different. It just gets ridiculous.

How is that ridiculous? If Hazard misses his goal yesterday off the post, and Torres is there to put it back in, Mata would not get the assist. Same thing for the free kick. You're setting the free kick taker up for a goal. If someone scores on the header from the set piece, the person who won the kick did not assist him. If you win the corner for your team, you're not the last person to touch the ball. Just like the header free kick, you become the 3rd player in the process. If you're the last person to touch the ball before someone scores in the opponents half of the field, generally you're getting the assist. If you're not, no assist. I'm not sure how that's muddled or ridiculous.

It's against AVB, he'll find the legs trust me.

Easy to say that. It's one thing to have the desire and determination, it's another to be able to do it especially when Lampard is nowhere near as dynamic and mobile as he was 2-3 years ago.

How is that ridiculous? If Hazard misses his goal yesterday off the post, and Torres is there to put it back in, Mata would not get the assist. Same thing for the free kick. You're setting the free kick taker up for a goal. If someone scores on the header from the set piece, the person who won the kick did not assist him. If you win the corner for your team, you're not the last person to touch the ball. Just like the header free kick, you become the 3rd player in the process. If you're the last person to touch the ball before someone scores in the opponents half of the field, generally you're getting the assist. If you're not, no assist. I'm not sure how that's muddled or ridiculous.

It's muddled because the line.as to what counts as an assist can be put anywhere. Is a shot that leads to a handball and then a penalty an assist? How about a player who wins a corner by taking a stupid shot from 50 yards out that deflects off someone and then the corner-taker scores directly from the corner? An assist? Why isn't a shot that deflects off a defender an assist? That directly lead to that goal. How about if it bounces off your head and straight to your teammate who scores? Is that an assist? The goal wouldn't have happened without you. An assist to me is a deliberate pass that leads directly to a goal. That way, the statistic about someone who is passing to set up goals/about someone who is creating, not someone who gets fouled or someone who happens to deflect a ball. I admit I might be biased because that's how assists are measured in basketball and hockey (except hockey gives two assists).