Spurs vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

I sort of agree with you. It's going to be a headache for RDM deciding whether to stick to our guns and test the central foundation of Tottenham via starting Oscar, Mata and Hazard or choosing whether to negate Tottenham's wing play.

The less risky option, which I expect him to take, is to play with one defensive winger to slow down Tottenham's attack on the wings which will force them to play through the middle more often or the more adventurous option, to really test Tottenham through the middle of the park with our three maestros.

Evidently, you could say that Arsenal are a threat out wide too due to their speedy wingers and excellent counter attacking but we negated that pretty well due to Ashley and Bran not venturing forward too often. If we play a similar sort of game like we did against Arsenal tactically (where RDM brought on Moses to create more space against tiring defenders, could do the same with Marin) I think we might stand a better chance instead of playing with a defensive winger. We can go out there and play our own game through the middle instead of focusing too much on trying to stop them.

It's a tough call for Robbie and Eddie and the rest of the coaching staff. I'm not entirely sure what we should go with since this current team as you rightly pointed out haven't really faced a team like Tottenham, but I have confidence that if we try and boss the middle of the park we might stand a better chance.

I'll try and catch the Spurs game tomorrow to see if my thoughts actually match the real thing.

gotta stick to the 3 and see how far it can take us. But maybe put oscar on the wing since he might do a better job defensively than Mata.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a game where I would not mind seeing Ramires on the wings. Although playing with Hazard-Oscar-Mata worked against Arsenal, Tottenham is a different set of players to deal with. There wingers in Bale and Lennon are much more direct and faster than Arsenal's wingers played against us. Cole and Ivanovic IMO will need help to deal with the likes of Lennon and Bale. Bale is the more standout player fo the two which is why maybe I would like to see Ramires track him back throughout the match. I wonder if he does decide to play Bertrand and Ramires both because as well as Bale and Lennon who I already mentioned you also have the bombarding running of Walker and maybe Bertrand is the only one suited to tracking his super fast touchline runs.

I am thinking: Hazard-Mata-Ramires. Play it a bit more cautious, especially as we are away from home. Also Lampard has to be dropped for this one, definitely need to see Ramires and Mikel in the double-pivot, worked against Arsenal. If BAE is still out for Tottenham by the time we play them the LB is definitely an area to target them at so RDM will have that in consideration. Expecting a tight game for this one, hopefully we win but 2 of the biggest in for, clubs playing each other as I am sure they will demolish Villa later today.

I am thinking: Hazard-Mata-Ramires. Play it a bit more cautious, especially as we are away from home. Also Lampard has to be dropped for this one, definitely need to see Ramires and Mikel in the double-pivot, worked against Arsenal.

So you want Ramires to play RAM and in the double pivot?! :lol:

Lampard surely licking his lip for this fixture. Been thinking to put Lampard at Ramires expenses, keep the same trio since they starting to show a good chemistry. If we had Daniel available for this may as well use him since Torres look sloppy and tired recently. We must this game, WHL used to be our 3 pts lane.

Personally, I'm not sure if Lampard is suitable to play in this game. If AVB employs the high pressing game on us, then Lampard might struggle in the double pivot and he won't have the legs to track back if he loses the ball under pressure or being caught too far high up the pitch.

Normally I'm pessimistic before big matches but heck! If we can dominate Arsenal on their own turf then we surely can beat Spuds!

p.s. Ramires is a must starter, and he will put Bale in his pocket mark my words.

Was thinking a bit about this. I'll be very interested in what RDM does for this match because Spurs are a team that naturally will be difficult for Chelsea. They have real width and they tend to attack from there. We haven't really played a team like that so far. It will be interesting how RDM decides to play it because his preferred lineup seems to fit very poorly in this match.. Mata and Ivanovic marking Bale and Vertonghen? Yikes. It will be interesting to see if RDM goes with what's been working recently or plays the matchup more.

If we play the three maestros it'll be a case of who out-scores who. I can imagine something like the crazy 4-4 when Grant was manager.

Would donate my left testicle to win this game

If I were you I would donate the right one..it's absolutely useless!

Personally, I'm not sure if Lampard is suitable to play in this game. If AVB employs the high pressing game on us, then Lampard might struggle in the double pivot and he won't have the legs to track back if he loses the ball under pressure or being caught too far high up the pitch.

It's against AVB, he'll find the legs trust me.

Reading this always makes me feel a little warm inside. What a triangle we have there ...

Me too mate. The future looks very bright :)

So you want Ramires to play RAM and in the double pivot?! :lol:

My bad :lol: I would rather see Ramires-Mikel in the double pivot but due to Spurs threat down the wings I would understand if he plays there. So I am thinking Bertrand-Mata-Hazard is what he may do but if not he prob will have Mikel-Lamps in the double-pivot with Ramires on the wing. Thanks for pointing that out tongue.gif