Spurs vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really hated Spurs and don´t do now with AVB at the helm. I don´t really get the anger of some of the posters here for AVB. Sure, he did bad for us but to be honest, he was ill advised and not the right man for the job of cutting the old wood and all, but seriously.

We have to start with Mikel and Ramires in midfield. Mikel can man-mark anyone out of the game on his day, Ramires gives their athletes something to think about.

It sounds like a Clichy but we have to take the game to them; can´t have them dictacte play. The only real worry is Defoe who on his day is one of the cleverest and smartest strikers in England, he certainly is my favourite english striker alongside Sturridge. Anyway, I think we´ll have to start with the same line-up from the Arsenal game.Our fullbacks never really had problems with their wingers, as far as I can remember. The strikers always gave us problems. So I reckon for this game it will be Cahill-Luiz (as JT is banned?).

As much as I love Frank he just doesn't have the legs for this game, go checkout Man U v Spurs - you'll see what I'm saying...

first half or second? because the second half after Dempsey's goal the ball was near enough permanently in the final 3rd of Tottenham's own goal. It made our approach at the Nou Camp look like a display off all out attack.

Why do people want FL as the number ten? Even when he was younger and in his prime he wasn't really good there. Playing him there will just turn the formation into an inverse 4-3-3.

I'm not saying FL shouldn't start but come on, emotions aside guys, let's play to win first.

If Defoe starts then I reckon we should focus on playing centrally (as in starting the trio of Oscar, Mata and Hazard) as they wouldn't have a target man to aim to from their wing play. Also, if Defoe starts I believe it's essential we start Luiz. Luiz will be vital against Defoe's pace and agility.

We really need to study the 2nd half of MU vs spuds because for me Spuds is just an average team without their sprinter athletes. MU absolutely dominating them in the 2nd half, AVB even need to sub out Dembele due to fatigue. So the key here is pressure, and i don't think we can provide that with Lampard in the line up. Torres, Oscar & Ramires is a must starter.

I am not really sure we can use that game to say that they are average. Spurs concededed a quick goal after dempsey goal and naturally players will tend to sit deep to avoid another goals and manu has scholes who if you give him time and space is arguably epl best midfield general.

If Defoe starts then I reckon we should focus on playing centrally (as in starting the trio of Oscar, Mata and Hazard) as they wouldn't have a target man to aim to from their wing play. Also, if Defoe starts I believe it's essential we start Luiz. Luiz will be vital against Defoe's pace and agility.

Bale often cuts into the middle which makes him trickier to mark, Dempsey and Dembele can make runs, and even Vertonghen and Walker can get in there as well The other issue is that they wouldn't necessarily need a target man. If Lennon and Bale are able to pull the defence apart (say if Cole or Ivanovic get caught up-field, our central defenders would be forced to cover the attacker), then there would be massive avenues for Defoe and Dempsey to run into. That means that Spurs can got caught on the counter on the wings as well, but we are likely going to need some width to be able to score.

first half or second? because the second half after Dempsey's goal the ball was near enough permanently in the final 3rd of Tottenham's own goal. It made our approach at the Nou Camp look like a display off all out attack.

First half, where they were 2-0 up...

Second half was a non contest although they did score again on counter...

For them it was job done sit back and defend and nick a goal on the counter (exactly what happened)

Although they were too deep and Utd should have punished them!

The way we play, our biggest weakness is counterattacks and Spurs are the best counterattacking team in the PL. RDM uses Ivan and Cole to provide width and they play very very high up the pitch so we are susceptible to counterattacks. We have to be aware of that threat. If we can avoid sloppy mistakes and keep a lot of possession thus limiting their counterattacking opportunities we can kill em. Should be a very entertaining match.

Just because you rate him that doesnt make him a quality player. He isnt even good enough for spurs in my opinion.

Well he is banging in the goals for them so far this season and keeping Adebayor out. I have always thought he is a good striker and AVB clearly does and in return Defoe is scoring and creating some as well

Here's what AVB said ahead this game yesterday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/07/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-chelsea?newsfeed=true

"It's not on an individual sense that I'm looking forward to the match, it's on a collective level," he said. "When you play the unbeaten leaders of the league, you can use that motivation towards the game. It will give us a chance to finally break into the top four and join the elite of the Premier League. That's what we've been wanting for quite some time.

"Chelsea are a tremendous attacking force, something that is surprising everybody. There are a lot of creative players in that team offering all types of solutions, movements.

"We understand this mobility behind Fernando [Torres] can cause you problems. It is going to be a difficult game but we are showing a good level of competence. We hope to profit from the fact that we are playing at home and against an unbeaten league leader."

I'd start Oscar without a shadow of a doubt. For me I'd expect

Ivan...Cahill...Luiz...Cole

.......Ramires...Mikel......

...Mata...Ocar...Hazard..

..............Torres..............

Though can't say I'd be surprised to see Bertrand or Ramires on the wing. I just think that we have been so good since RDM decided to be proactive and take control of games. I'd rather see those three behind Torres and give Spurs more problems to deal with, than back off and take our threat away to deal with Bale and co.

Tottenham have to be absolutely terrified of that front 4. Play them.