César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh, Dave.. So good to have you around for two more years..

When you joined, I was 19, just finished high school, Chelsea just won CL for the first time, everything was perfect. Lot has happened since that, we both had our ups and downs.

Maybe you are not the first name in the starting eleven anymore, but you are the one who made it to the team for numerous managers in countless positions. You are the last player who played alongside Lampard, Terty, Cech, Drogba, Hazard, Ivanovic.. many great memories, lot more to come.

Perhaps we could replace you with better player for reasonable price, but when I see you on the pitch I will always recall all the good memories.. 

No brainer for me.

It's not about getting someone to replace him - we already have that for both rb and cb - the issue is how to get a better squad player than him. Folks downplay how hard it is to get someone who delivers at this level. He's also super versatile, which is just another bonus.

Now, evidently he will not start games as often and be prepared to see him struggle a bit early season esp. Thought he still had pretty good games last season, just needed a bit more time to get going, which is normal for footballers past 30.

He's still useful even if not on the same level anymore. He can still do a job when we need to defend a lead and he comes on at a late stage of the game. His professionalism is a great example to the rest of the squad and as the captain he can help new incomings settle in quicker, young defenders can also learn from him.

And Farca didn't get our skipper🖕

Edited by manpe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I cannot believe we are stuck with this spent draught-horse for almost 2 more years

Chelsea: 'No way' £150k-a-week star should start at Stamford Bridge

https://www.givemesport.com/88061583-Chelsea-no-way-150k-a-week-star-should-start-at-stamford-bridge

Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta has suffered a ‘very clear’ decline in the early stages of the current campaign, according to journalist Simon Phillips.

The 33-year-old has been an outstanding servant for the Blues, but it seems as though his age is finally catching up with him just weeks after he penned a new contract with the club.

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

We even pumped his wage before extension, wonder who was the intelligent who approved this.

Doesn't bother me one bit, so he got a pay rise good on him, it's what we all strive for, he earned it, he's done alot for this club. The bit that saddens me is to many fans are far to Eger to just throw away great servants of this football club, some comments are just down right disrespectful, done more for this club than u me or anybody else on here has, 2 more years before he retires good luck to the bloke.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Azpi decides to go back to Spain at the end of the season.    This whole transfer window was a mess and there was a very clear falling out between Tuchel & the new ownership group which led to confusion in all decisions (incomings & outgoings). 

Azpi's been a loyal servant for the club, basically played every defensive position other than GK for the club during his time here and I wish him the best.  I guess the idea is that once our new defenders have settled in, we may not need to rely on Azpi so much!  

• 3 months later...