César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

I mean if you compare him to Lahm or Dani Alves, those two are fantastic footballers along with being good defensively. This was always something missing from Azpilicueta’s game, a very old school defender. What he lacks in that department he makes up for it through sheer consistency. 

• 1 month later...

Chelsea player wants to leave club on good terms, won't force exit, club could have to pay for him

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/transfer-news/report-Chelsea-player-wants-to-leave-club-on-good-terms-wont-force-exit-club-could-have-to-pay-for-him/

Chelsea

Cesar Azpilicueta will reportedly not push to leave Chelsea despite clear interest from Barcelona.

According to Mundo Deportivo, the Spaniard is keen to part ways with the European champions on the best possible terms once his contract does finally expire.

What is happening with Azpiliuceta?

Azpilicueta was approaching the end of the road with the Blues, before the chain of command apparently activated a clause that unilaterally extended his stay for another year.

Before then, he would’ve been able to leave South West London as a free agent.

This almost played into Barca’s hands, as they look to snap up as many players on a free transfer as possible.

They could potentially still sign him this summer, but for a fee rather than for free.

Andreas Christensen seems to be on the verge of joining the La Liga side, as his fading contract has not yet been renewed by Chelsea.

He probably won’t be followed by his current club captain until at least the following campaign.

A true Blue

Whilst Mundo Deportivo claim Azpilicueta views the option of moving to the Camp Nou very favourably, they also state he wants to see out the rest of his time at Stamford Bridge in the correct manner.

Fans wouldn’t expect anything less from the skipper, who has been an extremely loyal servant for a decade.

There isn’t a major honour the defender hasn’t got his hands on yet as a Chelsea player.

His trophy cabinet could easily add a few more items before the term ends.

Thomas Tuchel’s team are still in the Champions League and FA Cup, as well as mathematically maintaining hope of winning the Premier League.

The gap between themselves and Manchester City is only 11 points, with Pep Guardiola’s men having played a game more than the chasing pack.

Although it is probably out of reach this season, winning the league would be the perfect send-off for Azpi.

• 1 month later...

Incredible in his prime, one of the best value signings in history, and a genuine Chelsea legend. But he has very clearly declines significantly. Offers zero going forward and his world class 1v1 defending ability that made up for his lack of attacking quality is long gone.

Has to go, sadly. If he AND Alonso both go that’ll be yet more areas that a new owner will have to open the check book up for. We went from looking like we’d only need minor surgery to now looking like we’ll need a rebuild with 6-7 new players.

oki, I finally saw the goal

I was outside with my MIL and wifey for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half and missed ut

fucking clown car play again!

so fucking pissed as we are losing games via mistakes that shitfuck 1st division teams make, NOT THE FUCKING CL and world champions make!!!!

Love him. Should not be in the team for the rest of the season. Should have never started. Conceded to many due to him alone, especially lately. 

Sad because it’s like watching a prolonged funeral every week. He is finished in the PL but Tuchel wants to give him his testimonial every week for some reason. 

Amazing guy and amazing service but need to go to Spain ASAP or even retire at this rate.

He’s simply too much of a liability at this rate. Dave was always a great defender, if nothing else. Now, that is gone so there’s not much else left in terms of contribution on the pitch.

Anything is better. Our youth academy isn’t half bad these days it seems (Lamptey, Tino, Guehi etc.). Promoting someone there might be better than letting great talent go to other teams, which is what we’ve done for the past 2 seasons.

9 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Probably like Giroud last year.

Renewed with a 1 year contract. Left with a fee.

I thought Barca were interested in him only because he'd come for free, are they ready to pay a fee for him? It also wouldn't make much sense for Chelsea to let him leave considering AC, Rüdiger and probably also Alonso and maybe Sarr are leaving. We'd have no defence left, we'd need to sign two CBs, a RWB and LWB... At least Azpi covers one CB and RWB position, one or two less signings needed for another year. Unless we promote some kids, are there any capable of filling their shoes?

Edited by manpe

58 minutes ago, manpe said:

I thought Barca were interested in him only because he'd come for free, are they ready to pay a fee for him? It also wouldn't make much sense for Chelsea to let him leave considering AC, Rüdiger and probably also Alonso and maybe Sarr are leaving. We'd have no defence left, we'd need to sign two CBs, a RWB and LWB... At least Azpi covers one CB and RWB position, one or two less signings needed for another year. Unless we promote some kids, are there any capable of filling their shoes?

Dujon Sterling perhaps, but he (although very big at 1.86m and strong)  is limited offensively

Edited by Vesper

23 hours ago, Vesper said:

Dujon Sterling perhaps, but he (although very big at 1.86m and strong)  is limited offensively

What happened there do you reckon? He was excellent going forward at youth level from wingback. I know first team football is a different ball game but it's quite the drastic change all the same.

Maybe we'll see him at RCB with Reece at wingback which would be very surreal because I always imagined it being the other way round.

57 minutes ago, Tomo said:

What happened there do you reckon? He was excellent going forward at youth level from wingback. I know first team football is a different ball game but it's quite the drastic change all the same.

Maybe we'll see him at RCB with Reece at wingback which would be very surreal because I always imagined it being the other way round.

I really doubt Dujon is gonna make it here. He is a good player but showed little to suggest he will once get to the required level while on loan at Bpool. He is sure better than Sarr tho, so maybe good enough for a squad role

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

I really doubt Dujon is gonna make it here. He is a good player but showed little to suggest he will once get to the required level while on loan at Bpool. He is sure better than Sarr tho, so maybe good enough for a squad role

Hard to judge until we see him in a Chelsea shirt though.

I mean I doubt many people thought we would see Trevor Chalobah playing for the first team after his loans, but he has gotten a chance and taken it.

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Hard to judge until we see him in a Chelsea shirt though.

I mean I doubt many people thought we would see Trevor Chalobah playing for the first team after his loans, but he has gotten a chance and taken it.

Has he tho? Have not seen him for quite a while

i guess he will be here next season for the mere lack of options but if he really is good enough we are only about to find out 

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Has he tho? Have not seen him for quite a while

i guess he will be here next season for the mere lack of options but if he really is good enough we are only about to find out 

We just have to see.

Tuchel has given Ruben and Trevor a chance here when many expected they wouldn’t get one. Its tough to say he isn’t going to look at some other lads who looked like they may be on the verge of leaving/not featuring that are on loan and give them that same opportunity.

I mean there is nothing to say he wont use someone like Dujon as a squad player and prioritise strengthening key positions where we are set to lose players ie. CB.