Oscar

themightyblue

Now that the minute of silence is done, this thread should make its way to the ex-players section.

A bit bittersweet ending for Oscar(for us as well despite the money we get).

He announced himself to Chelsea fans with such a bang and while there have been a few moments of magic here and there, he was never as good as he should've been. He hasn't progressed at all and I would say he has declined in terms of mentality as well.

It's a shame for him(football speaking) but it's great for us as club to move forward with better players.

How does a player become worse than what he was in the beginning by spending four and a half years at the club playing with Hazard, Mata, Willian, Lampard, Costa, Drogba, Luiz, Terry, Kante and others whilst being coached by Di Matteo, Benitez, Mourinho, Hiddink and Conte? How the hell does he not improve during all those years considering all the facilities, resources and talented people around? How does he become a worse player during that time? Can't really blame lack of playing time either since the club showed incredible patience with him.

So much potential. Wasted potential. Thanks for the memories and enjoy your retirement in China, Oscar.

I may be wrong but here's my take what happened. 

Oscar is really talented player, clearly. So many managers said so that I have to believe them. I also remember that from his pre-Chelsea /early Chelsea days. His game against Croatia at the World Cup sticks out. That was prime Oscar. The last game he was pumped up for the game. 

I think he just lost that youth freshness. As he matured it's hard to really see that freshness in him. He looked visibly unmotivated and hardly giving 100%. He looked like a guy who's made it,  has wife and child and isn't that much more interested in improving and chasing every game. I'm not saying he didn't give a sh*t just he lost that sparkle and chasing the dream attitude. It may be hard to enforce that upon oneself as proven by many players who's career hasn't develop.

So China. It further convinces me that he has lost motivation. He's made it and now he may almost retire. Though I think not such extreme change of scenery would do him good but now it's irrelevant. The only thing that bothers me is that there were signals that his career goes into this trajectory yet he was given clean slate every year. Too much time was invested here. At the very least we have money now to make up for that with quick fix buying made player and not another project. 

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Can agree on Mata but with De Bruyne, I think that's debatable.

For what is required of players on the wing in our system I would take Pedro and even Willian over him even though he's clearly a better player overall at the moment.