Oscar

themightyblue

You could have Luiz as a libero sweeper, Beckenbauer style.

Yes he would be great at it (that's why Barca want him) but it doesn't resolve the off side issue. The libero sweeper is quite free in his vertical movements on the pitch, he can ba at any times either ahead of the two other DC, between them, or behind both of them. Which makes it harder to read for Mangala and Ivanovic, very difficult to master, because it requires too much synchronization and knowing of your partners. In their first months it would be catastrophic.

Yes he would be great at it (that's why Barca want him) but it doesn't resolve the off side issue. The libero sweeper is quite free in his vertical movements on the pitch, he can ba at any times either ahead of the two other DC, between them, or behind both of them. Which makes it harder to read for Mangala and Ivanovic, very difficult to master, because it requires too much synchronization and knowing of your partners. In their first months it would be catastrophic.

For sure. Implementing the libero into the system would require some serious game time but if done properly it can be devastating.

Besides, if Luiz did play as sweeper and found himself pushed forward, you could have De Rossi dropping in at CB to create a 3 man defence which would then alleviate the a few of the difficulties in implementing that sort of system.

It's a shame the libero role has practically died because no manager has the balls for it anymore.

It's a shame the libero role has practically died because no manager has the balls for it anymore.

It has nothing to do with not having balls, the 'new' offside rule completely killed any possibility of playing with a libero...

For sure. Implementing the libero into the system would require some serious game time but if done properly it can be devastating.

Besides, if Luiz did play as sweeper and found himself pushed forward, you could have De Rossi dropping in at CB to create a 3 man defence which would then alleviate the a few of the difficulties in implementing that sort of system.

You could implement the libero into the system as you say, but it would mean that Luiz is in no way considering the defensive line into consideration. He cannot be held responsible for any offside mistake of the defense.

It'd be Mangala's and Ivanovic's job to maintain a straight last defensive line if Luiz is upfront helping the birth of the next offensive, and on the contrary to be aware any time Luiz crosses their line in the other direction, and then support him the best they can defensively.

I too mourn libero sweepers. I really had hopes when I saw Ancelotti making Thiago SIlva his top priority, he had the talent as a tactician and the perfect squad players to implement the system. Silva, Matuidi and Ibrahimovic as a backbone is just perfect for that. It's a shame Silva won't have the chance to play libero sweeper, the beast he would be in that role... Mindblowing even to think of it.

It has nothing to do with not having balls, the 'new' offside rule completely killed any possibility of playing with a libero...

That hugely contributed to it, definitely, but I feel it could still be implemented if the system and the right players were available.

That hugely contributed to it, definitely, but I feel it could still be implemented if the system and the right players were available.

Hmm, maybe, but I am very skeptical...

You could have Luiz as a libero sweeper, Beckenbauer style.

I admit it would be awesome to see that buuuut (there is always a bloody but) the sweeper/libero roles have been made redundant due to the change of the offside rule in the 90s and the rise of the defensive midfielder. Though I suppose the modern day sweeper/libero would be used in the a 3 man defence acting as the more forward thinking and attacking minded of the three.

I'd prefer the return of totaalvoetball...

I used the image in an article, but I suppose not everyone reads those, so I'm posting the charts in the players' thread for those who might be interested.

BOA3IuSCAAAfypd.png

The green and blue correspond the players's movement without the ball, the yellow corresponds to tackles, interceptions and prompt passes and the red ball possession

When RDM threw him into the Juve game he was at the top of his game -now the fat waiter is slowly destroying him

I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days, from page one (plan to do the same with Eden's) and that's one of the most accurate comments I've read here.

Benitez didn't value Oscar and his amazing skills enough, played him badly, frustrated him (I read some comment about him moaning about Benitez, had no idea it happened, but it doesn't surprise me) and consequently deterred the progress he'd started to do under RDM. As if I didn't have enough reasons to deeply dislike Benitez.

Watch the boy become one of our very best, if not the best, under Mourinho's management.

And I've read so many posts begging him to be played a DLP or in the pivot. I do hope Mou has a different plan (I suspect he does). The guy is perfect as a AM who tackles and intercepts more balls than the other 3 most advanced players we have. That's what makes him remarkable as a #10, not what would potentially make him a great #8 or #6. Why turn him into something he's not fit to just because as an attacking midfielder he excels in tackling and intercepting? That kind of reasoning will never make sense in my head! You take the guy from the position he shines not only for the great talent and intelligence he has, but also because he added defensive skills to his portfolio and that makes him a more complete AM than Mata and Hazard, and because of that move him to the pivot?

So I hope we play him mostly as a CAM and Eden as LW and Mata wherever and if Schurrle is as good as people make him to be, then I can see Oscar rotating with Mata and Shirley himself, until he - Oscar - is the one they're rotating with, which I have no doubt will happen.

He isn't our best player imo (neither is Mata for that matter) and he isn't my favorite player, but he has potential to be both things.

now I'll continue to read as I'm still on page 91 :P

Yes, no problem!

At first, the offside rule was for the last three men of defense, meaning there had to be the goalkeeper and two more defenders ahead of the opposition's player not to be offside. With that, the libero was an excellent and important position, because even if he was the last player ahead of the keeper, the other team's striker would still be offside!

However, in the latw 80s and/or early 90s, that was changed to two players. Which totally fucks up with the libero...

Exactly. R.I.P. libero. Still some very defensive coaches like Hans Meier still implemented a 2 libero system in the 21st century, which was mainly like a system with 6 defenders. The libero movement was rather horicontal than vertical, so they could help out either cbs, mids or fullbacks. But, as they only played with 3 mids and one striker, the two liberos sometimes surprisingly joined attack. It earned Gladbach and Nürnberg some famous draws in Munich and Schalke.

The libero is maybe not the best idea. But Luiz could play next to de Rossi. This could be amazing. Two players as aggressive as these two would scare the shit out of every opposition.