Oscar

themightyblue

Seriously he would be a perfect fit for our pivot

seriously what about no. Do we want another Mikel situation on our hands. People seem to forget his great goals last season and what position he executed those goals from. In a 4-3-3 yes, Not in a pivot

seriously what about no. Do we want another Mikel situation on our hands. People seem to forget his great goals last season and what position he executed those goals from. In a 4-3-3 yes, Not in a pivot

The thing with Mikel is that we made him our most defensive player in the midfield. That wouldn't be the case with Oscar. In the pivot he'd be the more offensive player.

He is not really a good passer. I remember that horrific pass he gave straight to City in the postseason friendly.

I disagree. Being a great passer doesn't mean you don't make mistakes. It's about the rate of accurate passes and I think his is good. :dunno:

That's obviously passed to the goalie, Oscar just got lucky cause Jo made a Torres-esque run and saved Oscar from embarrassment.

;)

Oscar is brilliant!!!! Give him the time to adapt! He hasn't got that mental strength Hazard has!

Oscar has tremendous mental strength actually. Regular first team player in both the Chelsea and Brazil teams at his tender age, what morecdo you want from a player. Even when he wasn't playing well for us last season he didn't let his head drop at all and showed real qualities by not sulking, moaning or whining. He just carried on giving 100%. That's decent mental strength..I'd say so!

Again, adapting from France to England isn't the same as adapting from Brazil to England. It passes through everything: football style, level of team mates, weather, responsibility and role in the team, etc...

We can't compare Eden's adaptation to Oscar's.

We can compare Oscar's to another Brazilian going to Europe in a competitive league like EPL, for example Ramires'. So I think we could compare him to Lucas Leiva for example. I don't remember Lucas' first season on Liverpool - and I'm not even sure LFC was his first club in Europe. We can compare it to Lucas' in PSG last season. That's the situation you can compare. It wouldn't be a stretch to compare other South Americans, as the football culture isn't much different from country to country here. But comparing an European change with an intercontinental change doesn't seem reasonable or fair.

I'm quite happy with Oscar's first season. It was better than I expected and he showed a lot of personality and strength as mentioned above, by taking the challenge, the ups and downs all with the same attitude. There's only one player in our current squad that has potential to be more than Oscar (when he also reaches his potential) and that's exactly Eden. I think in a couple of years they will be the best players in our team and Eden will certainly be one of the top three best players in the world.

In an article a Brazilian pundit suggests Oscar's game is stifled by the presence of hulk, who blocks a number of possible channels.

It might be a combination of the above as well some obvious tiredness. He is working hard though, and that was specially important yesterday against a tough (mentally and physically) Uruguayan team.

In an article a Brazilian pundit suggests Oscar's game is stifled by the presence of hulk, who blocks a number of possible channels.

It might be a combination of the above as well some obvious tiredness. He is working hard though, and that was specially important yesterday against a tough (mentally and physically) Uruguayan team.

Link of article , please , I need that

Link of article , please , I need that

http://sportv.globo.com/platb/entre-as-canetas/2013/06/26/agora-o-que-vier-e-lucro/

In the last paragraph:

"Felipão precisa saber se o problema é só físico ou se a presença de Hulk fechou um possível espaço onde o meia do Chelsea poderia evoluir;"

"Scolari must figure out whether the (Oscar's) problem is exclusively fitness or perhaps Hulks presence closes down channels which the Chelsea's player could use."

as a feeble attempt to make me any less pathetic than my avatar may show now, this is a dare in the Pub thread., and as a good sport I'm honoring my part. I'm embarrassed beyond words by it, but please guys, try to overlook the impossible to be overlooked.

Hulk is just a terrible player. He shouldn't be anywhere near the national team.

This.

That's what annoys me at times on this forum. Whenever a player has an ability which is not specific to his position, people want to play him outta position — just like Luiz. I mean, a lot of people wanted (and still want) to play him as our DM because he has a very good technique (for a defender). Now Oscar displays good defending aptitudes and a great work rate, so people want him to play him more deeper into the midfield where he will have more defending duties..... Ramires runs fast — should we drop him out of the team and register him into an athletics club ?

To me, that's stupid. It's a chance to have a defender with good technical abilities ; it's a chance to have an advanced midfielder with very good defending abilities. Into my eyes, we have to look at these "extra abilities" as "plus" and built around it. I mean, Luiz has a very good passing game for a defender, but once you put him into midfield, this ability becomes irrelevant because it's nothing out of this world for a midfielder. The same will happen with Oscar, in my opinion.

Moreover, putting Oscar in this fucking pivot will inhibit him and his qualities. "playmaker abilities" + "defending abilities" doesn't necessarily equates to "deep-lying playmaker". In the football era we're in, Oscar is what comes the nearest to the classic "n°10" ; he plays like one. He participates in the building of the game and in setting the tempo of the game by roaming all over the pitch. By default his place is in the center of the pitch (in an advanced position) though he drifts to the right wing, to the left wing, comes deep into the midfield and goes into goalscoring position.

Building the game as a deep-lying playmaker or as an advanced midfielder are two different things. If you want to see the differences, go and watch a game of Barcelona. Xavi and Iniesta are the two Barça's playmaker (+ arguably Messi, but it isn't today's debate). Despite being two playmakers, they manœuvre into two differents positions, which implies different roles, different tasks, different playing areas. For example, some stats can illustrate those differences : in La Liga, Xavi has five goals and eight assists while Iniesta has three goals and 16 assists.

Now, is Oscar a good fit for this pivot ? I don't think so. Firstly, I don't see him being exceptional at spreading the ball from deep. In the pivot, he will have the game/action in front of him — but to mine, he has to be in the heart of the action to express his qualities. When I compare him to deep-lying playmakers such as Xavi, Pirlo and Alonso, I don't see him having the same set of playmaker's abilities than them.

Furthermore, we also have to take into account that the defensive tasks he will have to accomplish in the p*v*t won't be the same as what he does right now. At the moment, he has so good defensive stats because he has the liberty of movement (at some extent), he can (and has to) leave his position to chase down the foes and to get back the ball. He comes from a high position to a deep one in order to help out our defensive midfielders and defenders ; in some sense, he's not the defender but helps the defenders. In the p*v*t, he won't have the same defensives task, won't have the same responsabilities. From a position of "defenders' assitant" he will become a "defender". And, as playing in the p*v*t requires discipline, he won't be able to go all over the pitch to chase down the opposition — and thus, into my opinion, he will be found out of his depth because it's not the kind of defender he is.

All in all, playing into this position will hinder both his attacking and defending abilities. It probably won't be a flop ; but it won't be a thundering success. We have the chance to have into our hands a very good "n°10" who has a more than valuable defending facet to his game — why try to be some wizard and play him out of position, just like we did with Mikel, Kalou, Anelka, etc...? For God's sake, we should try to build around these qualities, not putting him in this fucking p*v*t just because it looks trendy.

peace what do you think about KDB and can he and Oscar play together. Also the formation that best suits this squad, in my opinion Oscar reminds me of Zidane while Mata reminds me of kaka in the sense that he is a second striker not an examplilary #10, as such needs to play wide.