David Luiz

the wes

He's got to bring the same commitment to the cause that he brings for Brazil. He can't switch off against teams like Cardiff just because they're only Cardiff.

JT shows the same level of commitment every game because it doesn't matter which club he's going up against, it only matters that he's pulling on the blue of Chelsea. That's what a leader is. That's the leadership he showed on Sunday when Luiz really didn't.

Well, Brazil has Luiz Gustavo as a dedicated holding mid who can cover David (and the defense including Marcelo) at all times. I read an article of one of our posters here (can't remember his name) on Brazil, and he joked that Gustavo was going crazy trying to cover for Luiz for Brazil; I thought to myself, well that is his job! If Luiz Gustavo did not provide defensive cover than he wouldn't play - Hernandes or another more technically apt player would take his spot.

Perhaps our defense is just way too exposed? Lampard went missing (his stats were pretty bad actually) which caused problems to Ramires and the defense. I could go into cover and pressure again (concerning Terry), but already made that point.

Brazil and football in the sun is not the same as Newcastle and the Premier league in the mud and rain and it showed,he reminds me a lot of Frank Lebouef in his early days,Lebouef learned how to cope,Every season we seem to falter when the clocks go back,it is no coincidence,Luiz did not want to get dirty on Saturday. He remains a player of supreme ability,but needs to be able to cope with days like Saturday,his patheric effort of a tackle followed by the cowardly trip is not what is needed on a winters day up north in England.

What i find funny is how Luiz is this 'liability' and Cahill is the 'solid, safe option'. It's amazing what the media and pundits can do, it really is.

They both have flaws to their game's (which is why they are horrible as a partnership, the worst at Chelsea in my lifetime imo) but i find it hilarious how someone who can't play the offside trap for shit and is easily conned by the opposition (check the dummy Gibbs sold him last season) is regarded as a safe and solid option. Having said that even as someone who likes Luiz, i just can't see him being the future captain, the next long term one at this club will probably be Chalobah.

Brazil and football in the sun is not the same as Newcastle and the Premier league in the mud and rain and it showed,he reminds me a lot of Frank Lebouef in his early days,Lebouef learned how to cope,Every season we seem to falter when the clocks go back,it is no coincidence,Luiz did not want to get dirty on Saturday. He remains a player of supreme ability,but needs to be able to cope with days like Saturday,his patheric effort of a tackle followed by the cowardly trip is not what is needed on a winters day up north in England.

fair enough...

The team crumbled in the second half though. Look at the number of saves Cech made in he second half. The number of times, our defenders were one-on-one against the opposition (like in David's missed interception). That's a big no no in football.

The logic of if we had X instead of Y only works if X's deficiencies are factored in, not only his virtues. Otherwise the player who did not play, when we lose, is always better than the one who did play. That's why you see ppl saying Mikel should've played.

When so many things go wrong in a team, some (prob most of the) blame has to be on the manager who picked the players and the strategy. Was a high defense line correct against a team who (historically) thrive in long balls? On a wet pitch like you said? The strategy wasn't David's, but Mourinho's.

Most people are making him a scape goat. He wasn't even at fault for both goals, I admit he has his flaws but seriously give him a break. Cahill has had worse mistakes but still people don't criticise him for example against arsenal he played miyachi in same as against city he war consistently playing aguero in. Luiz makes one mistake everyone loses their mind but when Cahill, bran and jt do no one bets an eyelid

Most people are making him a scape goat. He wasn't even at fault for both goals, I admit he has his flaws but seriously give him a break. Cahill has had worse mistakes but still people don't criticise him for example against arsenal he played miyachi in same as against city he war consistently playing aguero in. Luiz makes one mistake everyone loses their mind but when Cahill, bran and jt do no one bets an eyelid

Nobody from what I read are making him the single scape goat, after all, this is the Luiz thread and people are rightly discussing his frailties.

Not even the most ardent Luiz fan can say he's playing well, he's not and needs to up his game, as do most of them for that matter so it's not Luiz, just the Luiz thread.

Not sure if there's a need to bring the nationality of supporters into it. Seems a strange line to take.

Nationality is not a bad thing at all. We should freely speak abou it. There is always some kind of bias when the subject is countryman. I take Cahill example again. Since Cahill joined, most part of members who believe he's a very good defender are english. Last year there was a poll asking who should be the next captain. A lot of people said Cahill was the answer, and almost 100% of them were born in UK as well, and he wasn't even a starting XI at that time.

Perhaps deep down in my heart the reason why I love Luiz is the fact he is from Brazil, even tough I think its more related with his hair and his passion for the game. Phil Driver just takes it to a whole new level. I understand him, and in fact I think he is a very nice forum member.

Don't take me wrong.

Nobody from what I read are making him the single scape goat, after all, this is the Luiz thread and people are rightly discussing his frailties.

Not even the most ardent Luiz fan can say he's playing well, he's not and needs to up his game, as do most of them for that matter so it's not Luiz, just the Luiz thread.

He is not as bad as some people here are picturing him.

Say in 10 games, 7 or 8 games you'll get Luiz playing very well and 2 or 3 games you'll get him playing ok but with the odd fuck up. Hes not a liability as much, hes just unpredictable and can lack concentration.

He has genuine world class ability.He can be one of the best ball playing center backs in the world. He has certain leadership qualities but being a leader you have to set an example, if he is going to do what he did vs Cardiff or something similar a few times every season then really is he a perfect candidate for captain? I don't know. His decision making has to improve, if he sorts that out along with some positioning issues he can have then he will become one of the most talented defenders Chelsea will have ever had. Its one thing doing it for Brazil but its another doing it for Chelsea.

Also Cahill for captain, that's just laughable. Good back up, solid at times, typical English CB, passion and determination makes up for lack of genuine ability. I wouldn't let him be captain, hes English yes but that doesn't mean he deserves to be the next captain.

His problem isn't that he's not a good player or that he has some deficiencies - that's excusable.

His problem is that he loses focus, gets lazy, looks laid back and pulled out of a challenge on Saturday. Those things are inexcusable and verging on dishonest. If a striker beats him for pace or out-jumps him for a cross when Luiz is giving his all then that's not a problem because it happens to the best defenders. But if he's gifting the opposition chances because he's not 100% committed to the cause then he can fuck off.

I'd take Gary Cahill making an honest mistake over David Luiz putting in the type of performance he showed against Cardiff every single time.

His problem isn't that he's not a good player or that he has some deficiencies - that's excusable.

His problem is that he loses focus, gets lazy, looks laid back and pulled out of a challenge on Saturday. Those things are inexcusable and verging on dishonest. If a striker beats him for pace or out-jumps him for a cross when Luiz is giving his all then that's not a problem because it happens to the best defenders. But if he's gifting the opposition chances because he's not 100% committed to the cause then he can fuck off.

I'd take Gary Cahill making an honest mistake over David Luiz putting in the type of performance he showed against Cardiff every single time.

I'd take Luiz over Cahill any day of the week.

Luiz just needs a kick up the ass from Jose.

If he doesn't improve on his performances, then i'm sure Jose won't have much choice other than to sell him.

I always said that Luiz is more a DM than a CB. Only Lampard die hard fans would say that Luiz won't do any better than the living legend (no sarcasm here) playing alongside Ramires in the mid at this moment.

I don't think changing Luiz to DM after all these years as a CB is a good thing. He wasn't particularly good in his time in midfield last year