David Luiz

the wes

There is a guy that I really respect that usually say: "a bad team can destroy a CB career, while a good team can make a poor defender look good".

One of the biggest myths if that David Luiz playing for Brazil NT is another player. Thats not true at all, he is the same one, he do the same mistakes he do at Chelsea (every player does). The difference is: Brazil is having better results than Chelsea. When Luiz started playing for Brazil, and the results were far from good, there were a lot of people here saying: "This David Luiz is not a NT material. Dedé should be playing."

After Confederations Cup, when Brazil did really well, everything changed.

The same thing happens in Chelsea. People are just saying: "last season he was really good". Thats 100% lie. Luiz played against Newcastle in the same level he did most part of the last season, as a CB. Was an overall decent performance for a CB in a team that played like shit. The difference is very simple: Chelsea ended the season playing really well and getting really good results: just won Europa League. We also can't forget that he played most part of the 2nd leg of the season as a DM.

I always said that Luiz is more a DM than a CB. Only Lampard die hard fans would say that Luiz won't do any better than the living legend (no sarcasm here) playing alongside Ramires in the mid at this moment.

Football is a game of results, and right now who should be playing (Luiz or Cahill) is the last of our concerns. With the kind of players we have, we are not a ultra defensive team, those teams that just can't win a match if they do concede a goal. We should more concerned with Hazard, Oscar, Lampard, Mata...

If you want a solid CB combo it should be Ivanovic and Terry. Luiz should be playing in the mid instead of Lampard, but I unfortunately I don't see that happening, so b between Luiz and Cahill, the #4 is a better option in my opinion and will always be. Every time Cahill play instead of Luiz, he shows that he is far from this "solid defender" that some of you think he is, just like in the game against City when their players were passing through Cahill just like knife through hot butter.

His name should be the discussion this morning he was awful ,we used to have gutless centre halves like he was yesterday in the late seventies who played like cowards up north and did not like the weather ,if he likes playing on the beach ,England is not for him . Gary Cahill must partner John Terry who was fantastic .

At fault for the second goal, as far as I'm concerned. Far too easily beaten in the tackle, and ghosted past by Vernun Anita (LOL), as if he wasn't even there. Looks seriously out of his depth right now; I believe he needs to focus on the simple aspects of the game rather than trying his current, laissez faires approach.

Apart from the second goal and an earlier mistake at 0-0, I thought he actually did well and was one of the few people actually trying. He was really trying hard to compensate for the lack of passing ability in our pivot and tried to move the ball himself to attack as evident by the number of long balls he played.

Overall a decent game and not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

I totally agree I think he was really trying.

Apart from the second goal and an earlier mistake at 0-0, I thought he actually did well and was one of the few people actually trying. He was really trying hard to compensate for the lack of passing ability in our pivot and tried to move the ball himself to attack as evident by the number of long balls he played.

Overall a decent game and not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

yes, agree that he was actually very good in possession, but that play on the second goal is inexcusable for a defender: he is literally paid not to trust that his teammates are going to clear the ball and should have tracked back while Ramires and William slowed the attacker just enough and yet he was there watching and hoping. I personally don't have a problem with the missed tackle, because he tried a quick interception, which means he might have lacked the balance to win it - it was a decision and considering JT was behind him, I reckon teh correct one.

yes, agree that he was actually very good in possession, but that play on the second goal is inexcusable for a defender: he is literally paid to not trust that his teammates are going to clear the ball and should have tracked back while Ramires and William slowed the attacker just enough and yet he was there watching and hoping. I personally don't have a problem with the missed tackle, because he tried a quick interception, which means he might have lacked the balance to win it - it was a decision and considering JT was behind him, I reckon teh correct one.

I agree, the one for the second goal was a bad mistake, the missed tackle a minor one because I thought he could have won the ball but he misjudged it. But the point is he wasn't as bad as he is being made out to be. Certainly not as bad as the front 6 that started the game.

I agree, the one for the second goal was a bad mistake, the missed tackle a minor one because I thought he could have won the ball but he misjudged it. But the point is he wasn't as bad as he is being made out to be. Certainly not as bad as the front 6 that started the game.

He was dreadful ,you cant rely on him to defend properly one long ball to a forward can beat him it is easy ,he was our worst performer on the day by a distance ,if he wants to learn how to play English football in the winter he should stay up for a week watching videos of the player who partnered him on Saturday ,this is not football on the beach .

Certainly.

Some folks here seem to have a hard time understanding the very basic concept of pressure and cover. When Gary and JT play, they both cover (hence the backing off). When David plays, he applies pressure at all times, while the other covers; which is IMO a more balanced pairing. In either case, if they get no support they will succumb all the same. Defenders need cover (from the other lines) at all times because good attackers with possession always have the advantage when being faced 1x1.

JT also benefits from David's chasing, because he gets the opponent in a less than ideal situation already while the guy applying pressure in the open space is more likely to get dribbled. There is really no choice really unless you are OK playing counter-attacking football forever. Because if you want high defense line with possession you need someone applying pressure and chasing in open space.

I have to admit I admire your kind of nationalism. The way you worship the english players are really poignant. Nowadays, when its getting harder and harder to find a english player good enough to play in a top PL team, it seems this is the thing to do.

You spend your time trying to convince everyone (or at least yourself) that Cahill is one of the best CB in the world, even tough despite all his horrendous mistakes, Luiz is the 1st choice over Cahill, no matter if the manager is AVB, RDM, Benitez or Mourinho, and believe me, if Mourinho come to conclusion that Luiz is hopeless, he will buy another CB to replace, because he knows Cahill is not enough for top football (perhaps he is good enough for english football).

Other day you said Lampard should be playing in a more attacking role, even tough the team have Mata, Oscar, Willian, Hazard and Schurlle, but unfortunately all of them are outsiders.

I can't criticize you at all, it seems you are a fan since 1968, you are from England and all that kind of stuff. With the football globalization, and teams like Arsenal that have a french manager and sometimes no english players at all, I really appreciate your efforts. Most of english forum members are really negative towards their countrymen players. You give the forum a good balance, and you are such a character. Easily one of my favorite forum members.

completely agree.

Though a bit of consistency (from him) now and then wouldn't hurt. :D

I have to admit I admire your kind of nationalism. The way you worship the english players are really poignant. Nowadays, when its getting harder and harder to find a english player good enough to play in a top PL team, it seems this is the thing to do.

You spend your time trying to convince everyone (or at least yourself) that Cahill is one of the best CB in the world, even tough despite all his horrendous mistakes, Luiz is the 1st choice over Cahill, no matter if the manager is AVB, RDM, Benitez or Mourinho, and believe me, if Mourinho come to conclusion that Luiz is hopeless, he will buy another CB to replace, because he knows Cahill is not enough for top football (perhaps he is good enough for english football).

Other day you said Lampard should be playing in a more attacking role, even tough the team have Mata, Oscar, Willian, Hazard and Schurlle, but unfortunately all of them are outsiders.

I can't criticize you at all, it seems you are a fan since 1968, you are from England and all that kind of stuff. With the football globalization, and teams like Arsenal that have a french manager and sometimes no english players at all, I really appreciate your efforts. Most of english forum members are really negative towards their countrymen players. You give the forum a good balance, and you are such a character. Easily one of my favorite forum members.

Post of the year.

Not sure if there's a need to bring the nationality of supporters into it. Seems a strange line to take.