Roman Abramovich Thread

Constant sackings of managers has given too much power to the players. They know it will be the coach whose job is on the line and under the pump not theirs. If players don't like a manger they don't have to suck it up and try their best to get in the team, they can play shithouse and expect a new one sometime soon. Under Roman the players will never be held accountable it will always be the coach.

Constant sackings of managers has given too much power to the players. They know it will be the coach whose job is on the line and under the pump not theirs. If players don't like a manger they don't have to suck it up and try their best to get in the team, they can play shithouse and expect a new one sometime soon. Under Roman the players will never be held accountable it will always be the coach.

While I do see your point, I have to add that it's the manager's job to get the players to perform and to get the players on his side and believe in him. And if he hasn't done this then he has failed in one vital part of being a manager. Obviously, I'm not suggesting that the players don't have to perform unless they approve of the manager. Of course they should do their absolute best to perform all of the time, they're footballers and they love the game after all.

Ex-Chelsea assistant boss Ray Wilkins believes club owner Roman Abramovich is running out of managerial options.

The Blues have had nine managers since Russian Abramovich took over in 2003.

Interim manager Rafa Benitez has failed to win any of his first three games, while ex-Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has been linked with the role.

Wilkins, who worked under Abramovich for two years, said: "He is running out of options. If Guardiola was to come in and got sacked, where do you go?"

The 56-year-old former Chelsea midfielder was appointed in 2008 to work as Luiz Felipe Scolari's assistant but was then dismissed by Abramovich in November 2010 while alongside Carlo Ancelotti, who was then sacked at the end of that campaign.

Andre Villas-Boas replaced the Italian but he also found himself out of a job just nine months into his reign before being replaced by Roberto Di Matteo.

Despite winning the FA Cup and Champions League, Di Matteo was dismissed in November with Benitez handed a short-term contract to replace him.

Wilkins believes current Brighton boss and former Chelsea midfielder Gus Poyet would be an ideal manager for the club as options run low.

"[Current Real Madrid coach and former Chelsea manager] Jose [Mourinho] may not come back. Gus Poyet would be a good choice, he is cutting his teeth at Brighton and was a legend at Stamford Bridge," Wilkins told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek programme.

"It is an interesting one, the options are now being closed down rather rapidly."

Meanwhile, Wilkins does not agree with claims Chelsea's players are not performing because of the fact Benitez, who led Liverpool to the Champions League title in 2005, has only been appointed on a short-term basis.

Wilkins pointed to Guus Hiddink's short reign in 2011 when he won the FA Cup and reached the Champions League semi-finals, adding: "Guus came in for four months, won the FA Cup and reached the semi-finals of Champions League. The players will work hard for him [benitez]."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20572179

Difference is...Rafa aint no Guus!

• 1 month later...

The Ownership, the Roman Empire and its Emperor.

Roman Abramovich is not just any man, but the man. In club football one could argue he is the best owner around. Two and a half decades back he was no more than a plastic toys seller in the Soviet Union. He is an example of capitalism in a communist environment. With nothing but wits and political shrewdness he cut himself a slice of Russia`s large oil cake. Putin and Roman are the biggest buddies these days. A self made billionaire, changed his world and the Chelsea world one day.

A footballing newbie, he was as curious as a teenage boy when he sat at the Santiago Bernabeu watching footballing giants Real Madrid play against a smaller team called Chelsea. Something happened to Roman that day. Roman Abramovich had fallen in love.

Since then there has been no looking back as he pumped more than a billion into the club. But that`s not why he`s the best owner in club football. It never was. Yes the money is important, but there is more to being a great owner than just splashing the cash. Of late the man has come under heavy criticism for firing a club legend Champions League winning manager in Di Matteo and replacing him with a man who everyone loves to hate. So what makes Roman special?

1. Unquenchable desire - minutes after Chelsea`s Champions League success Roman tells his players, now I want you to have 3 stars on your shirt like Bayern.

2. He`s nuts- in a good way for us. His quest to be the best may have in the past led to panic decisions in the past (and I believe it`s a thing of the past - I`ll explain this in the chapter talking about organizational structure). But drive and determination and the top levels of management are required to make any organization competitive!

3. Foresight -as I write this article Roman Abramovich has just bought his daughter a horse worth millions as a gift (you`d think what a waste of money) and at the same time invests £3.4 billion in Oxford Catalysts, an energy company dedicated to renewable energy and energy production from house waste. This shows a man who is both willing to spend on what he loves but also a man who knows how to plan for the future.

4. Learning football - one of his biggest criticism is that the man does not understand his footie but according to Mourinho a typical Abramovich weekend includes watching man, many matches in the Premier League and La Liga. Whether he learns a thing or not he definitely is not as out of touch with the game as people want you to believe.

5. Change in attitude - there has been a change in Roman over the years. His backing of Andre Villas-Boas till he had no choice, his appointment of Michael Emenalo as Technical Director
(to be explored in subsequent chapters) and his general will to move towards the perfection of a club.

6. The man who wont walk away - his desire to build Chelsea a bigger stadium and his will (upon Roman`s death £50 million will be made available to Chelsea per year for ten years to ensure the club continues to do well even when he`s not around to see it). Hardly what rival fans want you to believe! That Chelsea is just the toy of a rich man.

7. Iron will - the treatment of senior players like Frank Lampard by refusing to renew their contracts definitely looks cold. I love Frank and Cole. But I do feel this is not just the FFP. It`s Roman breaking player power. It`s going to be painful. But in medicine, some procedures need to be done for long term benefit of the patient.

I just thought some of you might like to try to understand this shrewed but mean businessman.

That piece of writting up there is excellent, the thing about Roman giving Chelsea 50m each year after his death for 10 years also shows his commitment to our cause, what a man, absolute legend, I mean nearly a billion pounds, the players hes helped bring to this club and the trophies is more than enough in my eyes but hes agreed to that when he isn't here... wow... fair to say that quashes any rumors that Chelsea is a toy to him. He absolutely loves this club. Hopefully one day his son can take over as it looks like he has a real passion for Chelsea too, would be nice, I'm sure Roman would also love for this to happen.

Sacking manager's is rife in the game, the sooner Fergie fucks off the better, atleast then this country can get with the times.

Real sacks manager's all the time, Inter likewise yet know one really bats an eyelid, we do the same and we are the root of all evil, even by some of our own fans.

Liverpool and United fans must be laughing at Chelsea fans who hate Roman, i wonder what the Roman bashers will have to say for themself's if Roman sells up to some character similar to Hicks or Gillet.

That piece of writting up there is excellent, the thing about Roman giving Chelsea 50m each year after his death for 10 years also shows his commitment to our cause, what a man, absolute legend, I mean nearly a billion pounds, the players hes helped bring to this club and the trophies is more than enough in my eyes but hes agreed to that when he isn't here... wow... fair to say that quashes any rumors that Chelsea is a toy to him. He absolutely loves this club. Hopefully one day his son can take over as it looks like he has a real passion for Chelsea too, would be nice, I'm sure Roman would also love for this to happen.

Sweet!! Means we can get a team of Torres' with Turnbull on goal!!'

Absolutely brilliant article. I would much rather have owner stability than manager stability.
And for all those who are finding it hard to digest that Roman will be giving £50 million after his death, here's the article stating the same. http://www.people.co.uk/archive/other/2006/12/10/big-legacy-of-roman-102039-18239427/

I
mmense respect for the man.