Roman Abramovich Thread

The timing of the next game is an opportunity to expose their hypocrisy. Against the Saudi owned Newcastle. They happily get into bed with the Saudis, who chop up journalists and are killing thousands of civilians in Yemen. Some effective demonstrations are needed, and when better than a high profile game against the Saudis?

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If things can be resolved as soon as possible no matter who our owners are, I don't think we'll see a dramatic drop off.

Yes the transfer spending may not be as extravagant but it possibly doesn't need to be. A number of Premier League clubs in recent years have higher net spend than us, and United have about double. Everton have spent fortunes and could get relegated. Throwing money at problems won't always solve it. As a result of Roman, we've been able to rectify and absorb bad signings and poor managerial appointments to operate in a very short term way.

What we'll probably need to move towards is longer term planning and just operating in a more shrewd manner in the transfer market. Fortunately if we can come out of this relatively unscathed in terms of the squad, we've already got a strong squad and top manager. We have some more academy players on the verge of being part of our squad next season too. If Broja and Gallagher come back next season as you'd expect, possibly Colwill too depending on the situation regarding our defenders, we'll have over a third of our squad from the academy. If that conveyor belt can continue for the forseeable then I'm not concerned about our status, because we're then in a position where the squad may only need fine tuning and tweaking with one or two moves a summer which we should still be more than capable of doing.

We're comfortably in the top 3 teams in the country and have two of the hottest young prospects in the Premier League this season to be added to it. It's far from doom and gloom so long as we can get out of the position we're currently in asap.

If's & But's, mate.

All of us want's things to smoothen out, I was referring more on worst case scenario ... 

34 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

If's & But's, mate.

All of us want's things to smoothen out, I was referring more on worst case scenario ... 

Yeah of course. Worst case is we don't even get a buyer.

Any buyer at present though who has some competency and resources to run the club, even if not at the level we have had the last 20 years, I don't see us just falling into the abyss as a result with the set-up already at the club that they would be inheriting.

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

I know nothing about Nick but as someone who’s into real estate I know about his brother who developed probably the most expensive condo building in central London amongst other developments. He doesn’t seem to be that rich, though. So he’d have to be a part of a large consortium and I doubt he’d be the main decision maker if his group took over.

Honestly, the best case for us at this point seems to be the Boehly/Wyss group. At least Boehly has plenty of experience in elite sport and will know about building teams.

Getting an amateur who knows fuck all about football in a time of chaos and crisis like this doesn’t sound like a good idea. We need a calming, steady handover. 

Hes been a Chelsea fan from childhood so that helps. Loves the club 

Whilst I'm a little hesitant of an American purely based on other Premier League owners, we can't really be picky at the moment.

Boehly's track record does seem to suggest he could be a good owner for the club. This piece is a good read and a couple of interviews I've seen him conduct he does come across as very passionate, well spoken and knowledgeable. 

Matt Law has pushed his consortium as a very credible candidate throughout the last week or two and still is pushing them as one which still want to buy the club, and given he's usually one of the more reliable or 'in the know' journalists covering the club, you would have to assume he is going to be a front runner to take over.

12 minutes ago, Hermione said:

What a strange title any owner right now puts us more or less from where we were a couple months a go, what is this savior nullity you'd think were fighting relegation or struggling with money due to poor finances or sponsorships which isn't the case. We have a smaller stadium and still have more revenue than the likes of Arsenal and just a bit behind Liverpool all this without Roman's involvement.

The 'saviour' tag will be based on the fact that if no one buys us and the government sanctions continue we'll go out of business. 

I personally think something will be sorted out before it came to that point, but it's silly to just assume everything is fine in the current situation. We have no means of generating revenue and any sponsorship and prize money will be frozen so whatever monies are available for now won't last forever. I'd be surprised if it can last through the rest of the season. So on that basis anybody who ends up buying us will essentially be the saviour of the football club.

21 minutes ago, Hermione said:

What a strange title any owner right now puts us more or less from where we were a couple months a go, what is this savior nullity you'd think were fighting relegation or struggling with money due to poor finances or sponsorships which isn't the case. We have a smaller stadium and still have more revenue than the likes of Arsenal and just a bit behind Liverpool all this without Roman's involvement.

He's basically saving us from going into administration and the inevitable lay offs in staff. 

The optimist in me feels Boehly will be a good owner. We won't see the abusive loan policy anymore, but I think we'll still be largely competitive. 

4 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He's basically saving us from going into administration and the inevitable lay offs in staff. 

The optimist in me feels Boehly will be a good owner. We won't see the abusive loan policy anymore, but I think we'll still be largely competitive. 

The mentality and use of the loan policy should shift in a different way to how we've seen in recent seasons with the likes of Tammy, RLC, Mount, James, Chalobah and now Gallagher and Broja. It should be the bridge to us bringing more players through from the academy.

I remember seeing Gallagher in pre season for Chelsea. He didn't look good enough, and I said this at the time. I've seen him a couple of times for Palace this season and he looks a different player now from the regular exposure to game time and just in general maturing as a footballer. 

That will be where the loan structure can still work. Young players will still be loaned out. The ones not good enough will be sold on and help still to bring some funds into the club, whilst hopefully there will be the odd one or two that progress to a stage where they can be good enough for the first team squad. Bringing Broja and Gallagher back next season is the equivalent to signing two young £25-30m players. 

We've only abused the loan system in the past to help adhere to FFP requirements so we don't take huge losses on poor buys. Without Roman we're going to have to be much more shrewder and patient with signings in the future and as a result we hopefully will no longer need to use it in the sheer volume that we have in the past.

Have a feeling the club will sink quite a bit. It will make the new owner seem a 'saviour'. 

Think about it, Abromovichs success under his ownership is a fucking almost impossible act to follow, fucking big shoes to fill -every bit of silverware.

I saw Bates by the club for £1. That made whatever he did look good, and we were just appreciative