The Roberto Di Matteo Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It was a fantastic game to watch as well with two great football teams on the pitch," Di Matteo said. "I think we made history tonight, as we were in such a difficult position before the game and we knew it would take a lot to go through."

"The performance of this whole team tonight was just outstanding," he added. "It's not just the senior players, but the collective performance of the whole team.

"The senior players put their experience on the pitch, as they are used to playing this type of game. David Luiz couldn't walk at the end and John Terry had cramp, everybody was just incredible tonight.

"For the club, you know, it meant a lot. To still be able to play in the Champions League, and also you could see how much it meant to the players.

"I think everybody was very happy and delighted that we managed to stay in the Champions League after putting on such a big performance tonight. I've had some great nights, I have to say, but I think it will probably go down in the club's history.

"To have come back from a two-goal deficit from the first leg and you saw the players tonight, how they performed. They showed passion, that they care about the team, the club, the supporters. We gave us a big boost going forward."

"The home advantage was on our side tonight," Di Matteo said. "Napoli are probably stronger at home than away from home, even though they are very dangerous with the transition. I think our supporters helped us win the game tonight as well and we just tried to go back to basics.

"We tried to be solid, not concede goals and we're always confident in the quality we have in the team to score goals ourselves. Every win will increase the confidence of the team.

"We needed to find that team spirit tonight. We needed to play as a group and sacrifice ourselves.

"For me, in my position at the moment, I am just trying to win match after match so what happens after is not important. I am just focused on the games now.

"I don't really think about myself. I am just focused on trying to win games for Chelsea Football Club and trying to get the best out of the players.

"We have got three wins in three games now, conceded one goal, scored seven, and that is all my mind is focused on."

http://soccernet.esp...history?cc=4716

I was impressed by his bold substitutions. They were brave and they were made at the right time, they paid off.

Torres > Sturridge = This made sense. Sturridge wasn't being his top-self and Torres made a good impact when he came on. He was willing to go out wide most of the time, for the needs to the team. He put his own goal scoring ambitions aside for the needs of the team.

Malouda > Mata = Mata was being marked out the game. He could make little impact because Napoli stuck to him like glue. Malouda actually did well when he came on, did a defensive shift on the wings and even helped run down the clock. Could've grabbed himself a good assist too.

Bosingwa > Terry = Now I have to admit.. I wasn't happy about this at first. I thought 'if anyone's coming on for Terry, it has to be Cahill?'. But fair do's to Robbie, Bosingwa didn't have much time to do wrong and because of Bosingwa's attacking nature, it made sense I suppose.

I was impressed by his bold substitutions. They were brave and they were made at the right time, they paid off.

Torres > Sturridge = This made sense. Sturridge wasn't being his top-self and Torres made a good impact when he came on. He was willing to go out wide most of the time, for the needs to the team. He put his own goal scoring ambitions aside for the needs of the team.

Malouda > Mata = Mata was being marked out the game. He could make little impact because Napoli stuck to him like glue. Malouda actually did well when he came on, did a defensive shift on the wings and even helped run down the clock. Could've grabbed himself a good assist too.

Bosingwa > Terry = Now I have to admit.. I wasn't happy about this at first. I thought 'if anyone's coming on for Terry, it has to be Cahill?'. But fair do's to Robbie, Bosingwa didn't have much time to do wrong and because of Bosingwa's attacking nature, it made sense I suppose.

Think he said Terry was riven with cramp ?

I don't know if it's just the natural transition of a new manager or what, but I've been very happy with the way we've been playing outside the Stoke game with RDM.

Not sure if people will agree with this, but what I've noticed is we're getting better looks on goal, closer to goal, and more opportunities on goal with RDM running the team. I was utterly frustrated watching us with AVB in attack due to the lack of creativity. Though now we look great. Back to creating 5-10 decent opportunities a game.

Though I will say, be wary of the manager with three initials. AVB... and now RDM. Is it a sign to get rid of him before we get in too deep? :P

Just kidding. Lets hope he doesn't lose or draw a game all season.