The Roberto Di Matteo Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FROM THE SUN

Di Matteo: No problem with Terry's influence:

Blues skipper Terry was seen urging Michael Essien to drop back into defence in the thrilling 4-1 win over Napoli in the Champions League on Wednesday.

That came just 24 hours after Terry branded claims of senior players running the Blues dressing room as "complete nonsense".

Interim boss Di Matteo said: "I've been coaching for some years now as well and I expect everybody to be involved and everybody to help each other on the pitch and the ones that are on the bench, and that's what I believe in."

Di Matteo did draw the line at inviting Terry into a coaching position, despite the England centre-backs' desire to manage Chelsea when he retires.

The Italian said: "I think he's still too young for that.

"I can help him with his coaching badges maybe first!

"But he's got so many years ahead of him playing and I would always recommend to any players to play as long as they can, because that's the best part of a footballing career."

Asked if Terry was a potential manager, Di Matteo added: "I don't know because, when I was playing, I watched around myself and it's really difficult to see who is actually going to become one or not.

"It depends how life goes and what events happen in your life."

Really don't see the big deal, Vieira and Keane use to do it all the time but nothing was ever said.

I think its more to do with the fact that the current Man utd and Arsenal teams don't have such big personalities in their dressing rooms

This is crazy, i mean JT is the captain, it's his job to do that on the pitch so why is it such a problem that he's giving instructions on the touchline? He's the fucking captain! He's helping Robbie and the team out which should be commended. They're all in it together and all fighting together. Can't believe these stories of player power just because JT is helping out.

I dont get the massive fuss about it.Soon as it was shown you knew 'power play' articles would be written but it wasnt like he stood in front of Matteo,inored what he was saying to them and started shouting orders or anything like that....if theres anything negative the press can write about us their happy to leap on it no matter how small a matter it may be

The team plays like as there was a massive burden taken off their shoulders. Much more fluent and more creative. Seems like a breath of fresh air with a sense of calmness for the first time since Carlos last few games. Not saying that AVB hasn´t brought that, but at his spell it was always combined with a sense of vulnerability. RDM got them playing together again. Maybe AVB wasn´t the right man. I still convinced that his sacking wasn´t a good idea. But I am defenitly delighted about the games we´ve had under Robbie.

It's only been 4 games. And what happens once he benches one or more of the legends? I'm all for giving him a new deal, but is he the man to bring revolution to Chelsea?

Maybe. He did good with Brom and seems to have a good knowledge of the game.

If the results keep coming and he keeps up his positive and steady approach I´d say he fits the category.

It's only been 4 games. And what happens once he benches one or more of the legends? I'm all for giving him a new deal, but is he the man to bring revolution to Chelsea?

Well he will mix up his team with experience and youth and if he chooses to drop some senior players then I am sure he will communicate with them and ensure that there is effective two way communication.I admire his tactical abilities and he seems to get along quite well with his team but only time will tell his true fate.One thing is for sure,he is not going to be managing any small clubs like WBA or MK Dons.

“I can’t enjoy the wins. The next game comes so quickly.”

Chelsea face Manchester City in the league at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday evening.

But Di Matteo conceded hat he was at least pleased with the victory.

“The scoreline reflected the game,” he said.

“It’s important to get to the next round.”

Asked about the end of the goal drought for his striker Fernabdo Torres, Di Matteo said: “We are all happy for Fernando. He is a great team player. hopefully his confidence is high now..

“I did not mind when he was not scoring provided we were winning. Torres looked happy too.

“Torres has immense talent. He has belief and great work-rate. He is a very good player and a good guy.

Di Matteo added: “We are scoring goals. I always believe that we will score at least once in a game. Provided we are solid a the back, I am happy.

“But we conceded two goals today - we should have done better.”

Chelsea rested John Terry Ashley Cole with Frank Lampard on the bench.

“I hope Ash and JT will be fit and available for the Manchester City game,” said Di Matteo.

JT was replaced by Gary Cahill who scored the opener.

Di Matteo said of the former Bolton Wanderers defender who is a former team mate of Fabrice Muamba, currently in hospital following a heart attack yesterday.

“I was not concerned about playing Cahill,” said Di Matteo.

“He is still shaken from what happened to Muamba. But he managed to focus on the game.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/chelsea/roberto_di_matteo_gives_his_thoughts_after_chelsea_hammer_leicester_1_1241562