The Roberto Di Matteo Thread

Let's drop the romance with RDM. Yes we have an 80% win ratio under him, but the games we've won we should expect to be winning. That being said I can take nothing away from him as he has done brilliantly just to improve the morale of the squad.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's drop the romance with RDM. Yes we have an 80% win ratio under him, but the games we've won we should expect to be winning. That being said I can take nothing away from him as he has done brilliantly just to improve the morale of the squad.

Agreed. If he stays next season it could turn out to be a catastrophe like Dalglish's second season at Loserpool or it could be brilliant. Guess we'll never know if we're not prepared to take the gamble with him. If there are no viable options (Mourinho etc.) around in the summer I wouldn't mind sticking with Di Matteo because at least the players know him and apparently like him. Don't know if he can be trusted with a large transfer budget to rebuild the squad in the summer though.

I don't agree here. If he gets CL football next season and win against Barca (Optimistic yes :D), then i don't know why he couldn't be our manager for next season. He knows this club very well and his style of football is simillar as Mourinho.

I don't agree here. If he gets CL football next season and win against Barca (Optimistic yes :D), then i don't know why he couldn't be our manager for next season. He knows this club very well and his style of football is simillar as Mourinho.

let me add that RDM is was a CFC Legend before he was a Gaffer. I would love our old #16 given the reigns. Loving the fact that we have someone w/ some previous history @ the club in charge.

That itself an achivement considering half the games we should've/expected to win we havent

And agree if he stays next season could be a bad move but could be the same with any manager.Whoeevr we appoint may end up taking a risk with as just because they have success elswhere doesnt always mean they'll get it with us

If he doesnt stay manager hopfully still stay on as asst cause he knows the squad and thats what we need someone who can advice newbie rather then having a completly new two with no clue

Said in this the post-match Fulham thread. We may be getting the results under RDM but the performances are still no different to the one under AVB. There is no rhythm, intensity, tempo, urgency whatsoever. We are basically just scraping through matches at the moment. However, some of RDM's decision making have been questionable IMO.

1. He doesn't seem capable of changing things around when say Plan A is not working. So, far he has sticked with 4-2-3-1 in all of his 11 games in charge so far & even when we are struggling in games, he seemed incapable of switching things around and give something else for the opposition to think about. To compound matters, when Drogba & Torres are out on the pitch together, instead of playing a 4-4-2 and put both upfront together, he puts Torres out wide and Drogba through the middle and keep the 4-2-3-1 shape!

2. Sticking Ramires out wide is just really a mystery for me. I know he gives energy and protection on that right flank and in certain big games where the plan is to mainly sit back & hit the opposition on the counter, then that is fine. But otherwise, RDM is literally wasting him out on the RW especially going forward as his main strength - lung bursting runs from MF - is being completely negated!!

3. If people are questioning AVB's decision to leave out players, then what about RDM? Sturridge just seem to have fallen out of favor under RDM and he seem to prefer certain players for the starting XI only. He may be selfish & woefully out of form but he is arguably the only one who is capable of playing at the RW right now and with the right guidance, he can flourish in that role where we desperately need some spark from till the end of the season at least!

Plus Roman will want a prestige name that can attract big name signings and that aint Robbie

Said in this the post-match Fulham thread. We may be getting the results under RDM but the performances are still no different to the one under AVB. There is no rhythm, intensity, tempo, urgency whatsoever. We are basically just scraping through matches at the moment. However, some of RDM's decision making have been questionable IMO.

1. He doesn't seem capable of changing things around when say Plan A is not working. So, far he has sticked with 4-2-3-1 in all of his 11 games in charge so far & even when we are struggling in games, he seemed incapable of switching things around and give something else for the opposition to think about. To compound matters, when Drogba & Torres are out on the pitch together, instead of playing a 4-4-2 and put both upfront together, he puts Torres out wide and Drogba through the middle and keep the 4-2-3-1 shape!

2. Sticking Ramires out wide is just really a mystery for me. I know he gives energy and protection on that right flank and in certain big games where the plan is to mainly sit back & hit the opposition on the counter, then that is fine. But otherwise, RDM is literally wasting him out on the RW especially going forward as his main strength - lung bursting runs from MF - is being completely negated!!

3. If people are questioning AVB's decision to leave out players, then what about RDM? Sturridge just seem to have fallen out of favor under RDM and he seem to prefer certain players for the starting XI only. He may be selfish & woefully out of form but he is arguably the only one who is capable of playing at the RW right now and with the right guidance, he can flourish in that role where we desperately need some spark from till the end of the season at least!

Valid points. I can't understand why he persists with Ramires out wide. Ramires as a winger is far worse than Sturridge and even worse than Kalou or Malouda.

4-2-3-1 is understandably meant to shore up our defense, but its a rather a dull counter-attacking formation when it comes to creating chances. Wish he would mix things up a bit more during matches.

Also IMO, I think he's making a mistake if he believes Torres is ready to claim a starting 11 role in all of our big games. His form is still patchy, and a couple of bad games might be enough to undo all the good work done so far over the past couple of weeks.

Can't argue with that. We've beat mediocre teams playing pretty badly in doing so to be frank. The Napoli result was the stand out game but that's the only one really. He has improved the morale i think tho but we aint beat a Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham yet. These next 4 games will truly tell us where we are.

I think Di Matteo's scared to make "big" changes to the formation, what with his reputation and former connections to the club at stake. He wouldn't want to lose the support of the fans if he's got his eye on the job full-time, and as a result, is reluctant to make dramatic alterations. Thus far, I can't see any improvement in terms of performance but he's managed to claw some results out of the bag, which has ultimately kept the fans on his side.

We need someone of Mourinho's stature; someone who's not afraid to come in and stamp his foot down. Mourinho would be ideal, but realistically, he's not going to be available so Roman will have to find another option.

Di Matteo's done well during his period in charge in regrouping the dressing room and restoring a little bit of pride, but I don't think he's the long-term solution. Genuinely think we made the wrong decision letting Villas-Boas go. If anyone was to depart, it should have been the big egos that made his time in London difficult. No point dwelling on the past mind you... and hopefully Roman's concentrating on the future too and is searching high and low for a full-time manager to take the reins in time for next season.

I cant even think that our next manager will stay long, unless we bring top players in aswell. And old guard should slowly depart.

However, I thought, actualy everyone thought AVB will stay here for long time. He looked like Mou, had sucess and was young...Roman had trust and it seemed that even if this season AVB wouldnt get on top, he would stay. At least that was the impression of Roman to his new manager. Anyway he left after half season. I dont think we should go after new manager, maybe RDM should stay, but he must rebuild team and dont stand along Didi, etc, but sell him and few others and buy new ones.

I cant even think that our next manager will stay long, unless we bring top players in aswell. And old guard should slowly depart.

However, I thought, actualy everyone thought AVB will stay here for long time. He looked like Mou, had sucess and was young...Roman had trust and it seemed that even if this season AVB wouldnt get on top, he would stay. At least that was the impression of Roman to his new manager. Anyway he left after half season. I dont think we should go after new manager, maybe RDM should stay, but he must rebuild team and dont stand along Didi, etc, but sell him and few others and buy new ones.

To be Fair if I was Roman I would have sacked AVB as well. If he was still here we would probably be nowhere near 4th, and out the Champions League. We were going nowhere as a club. He was just the right man at the wrong time, and of course his fatal mistake of not rebuilding as soon as he came in cost him his job.