Frank Lampard

DavidEU

It's entirely possible he walks away from the game when he finishes. He's a very smart guy like you say, but he's invested his money well from what I've heard and doesn't need the game once he retires. He's not going to be doing tours like some ex-pros for sure.

And I absolutely agree he's smart enough to manage (in a way John Terry isn't, for instance) but I simply don't know if he'll want to.

Whatever happens he's going to be a legend though. Sure we could give him a short-term contract but will that be the best for the long-term development of players like McEachran, De Bruyne and Oscar?

Tbf to Terry, Harry Redknapp is illiterate, so there's hope yet.

You may have a point with the hunger argument, usually the best managers have a point to prove, i.e short/unfulfilled playing careers.

Whatever happens he's going to be a legend though. Sure we could give him a short-term contract but will that be the best for the long-term development of players like McEachran, De Bruyne and Oscar?

If Lampard stays, it won't necessarily stifle the development of McEachran, De Bruyne, Oscar etc because he definitely won't be playing every game. In addition, the likes of McEachran, De Bruyne and Oscar could gain quite a lot by learning from Lampard with his massive experience and knowledge in the game. He can help these younger lads to get better be it with their football abilities, skills or the know how on how to react in tough situations during matches.

Actually we already had a bet on Chelsea to finish in the top four with Benitez in charge. If we do, he leaves. :getin::getin:

I'm just going to ignore him for 5 more months. I don't know whether he should leave at the end of the season or as soon as it's mathematically impossible for us to finish lower than fourth. :halo:

But for his benefit and because I'm nice, I'll point out that Yeats is WB Yeats - one of the most important figures in literature.

so not that giant scouse centre back ,,,thats a relief

Sure we could give him a short-term contract but will that be the best for the long-term development of players like McEachran, De Bruyne and Oscar?

This is exactly why you are so fucking delusional when it comes to discussing this issue.

Your main perogative for not giving him a contract is purely because you want to clear out Lampard just for the sake of an extra place in the team for younger players - that is where the whole pedo thing you completely misconstrued stemmed from. I really cannot possibly make my point any more clearly than this & it would just be absurd for you to deny it now.

But let me, for a change, attempt to be as courteous, civil & concise as I can in my response in the hope that you will actually consider what I am saying a little more objectively.

I fully understand & appreciate the idea & sentiment of your point. However, the fact is, if KDB & McEachran were better than Lampard at this curent moment, they would already be in the team. It's as simple as that. But in reality they are just nowhere near that level yet at this current moment; even if they have the potential to be one day.

You can't possibly perservere with this idea of using the Chelsea first team - a team that is expected to win trophies every season without fail - for youth experiments & 'development'. If they still need time to develop in order to be deserving of a place ahead of the current team choices, then they just simply aren't ready yet.

Oscar is a different story, because I believe he is a genuine potential successor to Lampard's position & role a few years from now & is already a first team standard player by all accounts.

But at this young age, when he has more ability than experience, he is definitely more suited to a role as part of the 3 attacking midfielders behind Torres where he isn't so prone to making vital errors; & that is where he should be every single week in my ideal team. It is just unfortunate that Benitez has something against him for whatever reason - & therefore you should be blaming the lack of his game time on the manager, rather than on a player like Frank who has earned & actually deserves his place in the team based on current form alone.

Maybe if you stopped focusing on the future 3 years down the road, then you would be able to see that what we actually need most as a club right now & in the immediate future - is for Lamps to sign a new contract so we can stay stable & successful until the new breed are ready to take their places & make their own mark at this club.

If Lampard stays, it won't necessarily stifle the development of McEachran, De Bruyne, Oscar etc because he definitely won't be playing every game. In addition, the likes of McEachran, De Bruyne and Oscar could gain quite a lot by learning from Lampard with his massive experience and knowledge in the game. He can help these younger lads to get better be it with their football abilities, skills or the know how on how to react in tough situations during matches.

Exactly and it defintly helps to have experinced players who can come on and change a game.Hasnt exactly done Man U any harm keeping Giggs,Scholes etc they've managed pretty well to develop younger players without them being an issue

Exactly and it defintly helps to have experinced players who can come on and change a game.Hasnt exactly done Man U any harm keeping Giggs,Scholes etc they've managed pretty well to develop younger players without them being an issue

Didn't Scholes come back precisely because they DIDN'T develop young players to take over?

In fact didn't Scholes come through because United were prepared to sell players like Paul Ince? Didn't Neville develop because they sold Paul Parker (might have to check that one)? Giggs and Scholes are the exception rather than the rule - look at players like Roy Keane who they moved on. Sure you can argue that his performances tailed off but Fergie's success has been based on not being a slave to reputation.

And that's a fair point. But that's still a possibility of 4 players for 1 position in the team (not including Ramires or Chalobah) in a season of about 60 games.

We're still going to have the wise old heads of Cech and Terry around too so this misnomer of us not having experience in the side is a little disingenuous.

And that's a fair point. But that's still a possibility of 4 players for 1 position in the team (not including Ramires or Chalobah) in a season of about 60 games.

We're still going to have the wise old heads of Cech and Terry around too so this misnomer of us not having experience in the side is a little disingenuous.

Don't see much wrong with having 4-5 players for 1-2 positions in the team. There will be rotations, suspensions and injuries. Each of the players will play their part in the campaign. Lampard's experience could still prove valuable when we desperately need a goal in a game. Yes, we may still have Cech and Terry in the team but having about 2 more is not going to kill is it? They can teach the younger players who can plays in the same position as them everything about it.

Right now, it seems that the club is more concerned about clearing the huge wage bills than anything else. Yes, the Financial Fair Play rules may be coming in but would it kill the club to open contract negotiations with Lampard(and Cole)? Why not try have a go, offer them a contract with lower wages etc and see how it pans out? At the moment, they don't seem bother to even do it. Feels like the club is just all thinking about business and completely overlooking on the football aspects in terms of what experience players like Lampard and Cole can bring to the team. As mentioned earlier, they can help to guide the younger players with their footballing abilities and knowledge in the game off the pitch and on it, particularly during tough circumstances, these experienced players can be called upon when needed to calm things down.

We wouldn't want to become like Arsenal, would we? They let go all their experience players and all that left is kids. Talented they may be but lack the experience. That has already been proven when Arsenal get to the latter stages of a cup competition and/or challenging for the league, they don't have that experience player to pull them through those squeaky bum moments. In the end what happens, they always collapse and crumble when nearing the finishing line. Now, we do not want to become like them, do we?

Don't see much wrong with having 4-5 players for 1-2 positions in the team. There will be rotations, suspensions and injuries. Each of the players will play their part in the campaign. Lampard's experience could still prove valuable when we desperately need a goal in a game. Yes, we may still have Cech and Terry in the team but having about 2 more is not going to kill is it? They can teach the younger players who can plays in the same position as them everything about it.

Actually if you include Mikel and Luiz then we could be looking at 8 players for 2 positions, although some can cover others. Experience is great but players like Oscar have over 100 league appearances and the guy has been given the number 10 shirt for Brazil - I don't think he's ever looked inexperienced (his first start consisted of him scoring 2 goals and man-marking one of the best players in the world).

Right now, it seems that the club is more concerned about clearing the huge wage bills than anything else. Yes, the Financial Fair Play rules may be coming in but would it kill the club to open contract negotiations with Lampard(and Cole)? Why not try have a go, offer them a contract with lower wages etc and see how it pans out? At the moment, they don't seem bother to even do it. Feels like the club is just all thinking about business and completely overlooking on the football aspects in terms of what experience players like Lampard and Cole can bring to the team. As mentioned earlier, they can help to guide the younger players with their footballing abilities and knowledge in the game off the pitch and on it, particularly during tough circumstances, these experienced players can be called upon when needed to calm things down.

I made the point earlier but we made just £1 million profit last year and Lamps costs about £5 million p/a. That's not an inconsiderable amount. Yes his experience is great, but (and I'm purely playing devil's advocate here) but where was that against Corinthians? Conversely, did we miss it when we came back from 2-1 at Spurs or went to Arsenal and won convincingly?

This 'experience' thing is like the Anfield crowd myth - when they win, they were the 12th man. When they lose they keep schtum.

Cole is a different situation because despite him being more inconsistent than I can remember him being previously, he's still arguably the best player in his position in the world, Bertrand still has question marks and he's about 3 years younger.

We wouldn't want to become like Arsenal, would we? They let go all their experience players and all that left is kids. Talented they may be but lack the experience. That has already been proven when Arsenal get to the latter stages of a cup competition and/or challenging for the league, they don't have that experience player to pull them through those squeaky bum moments. In the end what happens, they always collapse and crumble when nearing the finishing line. Now, we do not want to become like them, do we?

We aren't close to being Arsenal - their problem was underinvestment. We've actually invested in both the youth academy, as well as spending about £30 million on the likes of Oscar and De Bruyne, as well as Ramires.

It's completely disingenuous to suggest that a team that could start with Cech (30), Cahill (28), Terry (31), Ivanovic (28), Mikel (26), Mata (24), Torres (28) and maybe even Cole (31) could be inexperienced.

The simple fact is that despite people wanting us to be like Arsenal so they can moan about the board, we've actually got a nice average age in the squad (even without Lamps), with some of the best young prospects in the world and an academy that isn't living on reputation alone (like Arsenal's).

In fact your point that all that's left at Arsenal is kids is' complete bollocks isn't it? Look at their signings - Cazorla, Arteta, Mertesacker, Podolski, Vermaelen, Gervinho, Giroud, Santos - and tell me that 'all that's left is kids'.

Arsenal's problem isn't that they relied on youth. It's that they've bought shit.

Scholes took a job coaching the young guys at Utd

Lampard should do the same, he's taken or is taking his coaching badges remember an interview last year.

He should be groomed by the club to train the current midfielders and the youth guys, as well as staying at the club - potentially for the managerial hot seat in 3-4 years. Maybe start as Assistant or something and work up.

It just makes no sense for a true legend to walk away!

Look how successful other Chelsea staff have been in managing other clubs - sure Rogers, Clark and even Zola are all doing well - much better than Roy Keane, Steve Bruce etc :P

So c'mon Chelsea - sort it out :)

Scholes took a job coaching the young guys at Utd

Lampard should do the same, he's taken or is taking his coaching badges remember an interview last year.

He should be groomed by the club to train the current midfielders and the youth guys, as well as staying at the club - potentially for the managerial hot seat in 3-4 years. Maybe start as Assistant or something and work up.

It just makes no sense for a true legend to walk away!

Look how successful other Chelsea staff have been in managing other clubs - sure Rogers, Clark and even Zola are all doing well - much better than Roy Keane, Steve Bruce etc :P

So c'mon Chelsea - sort it out :)

I don't think he has any intention of coaching or managing. When he stops playing he might go into business or possibly the media.

Actually if you include Mikel and Luiz then we could be looking at 8 players for 2 positions, although some can cover others. Experience is great but players like Oscar have over 100 league appearances and the guy has been given the number 10 shirt for Brazil - I don't think he's ever looked inexperienced (his first start consisted of him scoring 2 goals and man-marking one of the best players in the world).

He may have played more than 100 games already but most of them comes in Brazil. Different from playing in Europe. And I don't think you can judge a book by its cover by saying he may not look inexperienced. He's still young and need guidance.

I made the point earlier but we made just £1 million profit last year and Lamps costs about £5 million p/a. That's not an inconsiderable amount. Yes his experience is great, but (and I'm purely playing devil's advocate here) but where was that against Corinthians? Conversely, did we miss it when we came back from 2-1 at Spurs or went to Arsenal and won convincingly?

Just because we won those games without him, that doesn't mean his ultimately useless. He may not have shone against Corinthians but what about the one against Everton? Sometimes it's just not all about his experience but also that in terms of popping up in the right areas to score the vital goals for us. The likes of Giggs and Scholes have done that in the past for United even if their performances may be average.

Cole is a different situation because despite him being more inconsistent than I can remember him being previously, he's still arguably the best player in his position in the world, Bertrand still has question marks and he's about 3 years younger.

We aren't close to being Arsenal - their problem was underinvestment. We've actually invested in both the youth academy, as well as spending about £30 million on the likes of Oscar and De Bruyne, as well as Ramires.

It's completely disingenuous to suggest that a team that could start with Cech (30), Cahill (28), Terry (31), Ivanovic (28), Mikel (26), Mata (24), Torres (28) and maybe even Cole (31) could be inexperienced.

It's not all about just the age. It's the experience of being in the hunt for trophies through the very tough moments and actually winning it. Yes, players like Cahill, Ivanovic, Mata, Torres may have won a number of trophies but compared that to the experience of Lampard's and you will find a stark contrast. It may seem like nothing but it's an invaluable asset to have.

In fact your point that all that's left at Arsenal is kids is' complete bollocks isn't it? Look at their signings - Cazorla, Arteta, Mertesacker, Podolski, Vermaelen, Gervinho, Giroud, Santos - and tell me that 'all that's left is kids'.

Arsenal's problem isn't that they relied on youth. It's that they've bought shit.

My point about that is 4-5 years ago when Arsenal sold all their experience players and Wenger brought in all these young players with no experience in winning things despite being talented. And yes, he may have bought in those players you mentioned above but again, they lack the experience. Lack the know how on how to win trophies as they keep on bottling it year after year.

I don't think he has any intention of coaching or managing. When he stops playing he might go into business or possibly the media.

He did mention it before. And IIRC, Terry said before that he, Cole and Lampard are taking coaching badges.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2195117/Frank-Lampard-wants-Chelsea-manager-job.html

Lampard told the Sun: 'I am thinking about my coaching badges now but there is only one club I want to manage.

'I know it might sound a bit big-headed or selfish but I wouldn’t want to go through "showing myself" with a lower club.

'Although I would never expect to walk into a position such as the Chelsea manager, this is the only club I’d want to manage.'

He did mention it before. And IIRC, Terry said before that he, Cole and Lampard are taking coaching badges.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2195117/Frank-Lampard-wants-Chelsea-manager-job.html

I would be surprised if he did remembering how his father was treated and seeing how explayers are treated here.

I don't want to ruin the discussion... but hats off to @ and @The only place to be. It's great to see a civilized debate about Lampard with both members raising interesting points. It's a breath of fresh air compared to what's been going on in this thread over the past few days.

Anyway, continue!

Hmm saw an interview with him and he said he wants to? Quick google shows loads of comments around August that he wanted to? Maybe it was just wishful thinking on his part - if he's done nothing about it...