Frank Lampard

DavidEU

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Spike said:

I hope those pining for his return aren't the same as the few that lamented and damned him when he joined Manchester City.

Fickle minded fans everywhere, but I think Lampard has a better chance than most.

Mourinho continued to have support even after dragging the club into the relegation zone 

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't want to derail the discussion in the Super Frank thread so I put it here

Just came across of this rare complete collection of his West ham goals. You already can see the scoring instinct and match intelligence at 18-21 y.o. Having seen most of his 211 Chelsea goals a dozen times, this really caught my eye how mature he already was taken all those excellent finishes. a few absolute crackers as well, worth watching till the end

Lets hope he is as good as rookie manager as he was as rookie player.

On 12/07/2019 at 9:41 PM, Magic Lamps said:

Didn't want to derail the discussion in the Super Frank thread so I put it here

Just came across of this rare complete collection of his West ham goals. You already can see the scoring instinct and match intelligence at 18-21 y.o. Having seen most of his 211 Chelsea goals a dozen times, this really caught my eye how mature he already was taken all those excellent finishes. a few absolute crackers as well, worth watching till the end

Lets hope he is as good as rookie manager as he was as rookie player.

Di Canio set him up with some great crosses. I so hope we can get that level from our right side this year.

• 9 months later...

Is Frank Lampard Chelsea’s greatest signing?

https://theathletic.com/1782765/2020/05/01/chelsea-greatest-signing-lampard-drogba-hazard/

Frank-Lampard-Chelsea-signs-greatest-signing-e1588255733454-1024x683.jpg

The task set for me seemed simple: write about the best signing Chelsea have made in the last 20 years. Instantly, Frank Lampard’s name popped into my head. “This won’t take long,” I thought to myself.

For how could anyone not vote for Chelsea’s all-time leading scorer with a remarkable 211 goals, bought for a bargain £11 million from West Ham United in 2001? But within the space of a few minutes, one alternative candidate after another had rolled into my head. After all, Frank isn’t the only one who has been super in a blue shirt.

One of his main rivals for the honour is Didier Drogba, who has just been subject of a read by The Athletic detailing his spectacular exploits. It ran for over 4,000 words but there was enough material to write a book.

The piece provides a strong case. “That” header and penalty against Bayern Munich in the Champions League final in May 2012, would be enough to include him on the list. It certainly repaid the £24 million transfer fee agreed with Marseille eight years earlier in spades.

It should also be pointed out that the last time Chelsea asked their fans to vote on who their greatest-ever player was, via the club’s official magazine, it was Drogba who topped the charts, with Lampard runner-up.

“This makes me honoured and proud because so many big players have been at the club before me — and at the same time as me,” he said in 2012. “It is unbelievable. All of these players have done such good things for the club and, when I came here, I could see how much people loved them. To be voted alongside these big names is an ­absolute privilege for me.”

So a simple case of Drogba v Lampard round two, then? No. That wouldn’t be doing justice to several other men who have entertained and helped bring success in equal measure.

For instance, that last poll was staged just a few months into the Eden Hazard era. Drogba’s heroics to win the Champions League in Munich also secured Chelsea’s place in the following season’s competition. It was a deciding factor in them beating a host of top clubs to the Belgian’s signature and he arrived from Lille for £32 million.

Over the next seven seasons, Chelsea supporters were the lucky ones as Hazard dribbled this way and that on a regular basis. Crucially, there was end product, too — not just the 110 goals and 92 assists but, like the two men already mentioned, he helped win silverware.

There were six major trophies in all. His contribution to the title wins in 2015 and 2017 was vital. But it is the memories of him slaloming past beleaguered Arsenal and West Ham United defenders to score remarkable individual goals that make him such a hard man to ignore.

It could be argued that on skill and just pure enjoyment alone, he should take the crown. Nobody has created a greater buzz of anticipation and excitement among the crowd than Hazard when he had the ball at his feet.

But others may look to other criteria.

For example, Petr Cech simply can’t be overlooked. He is second (13) only to John Terry (15) in terms of major honours won by a player at Stamford Bridge. Bought from French club Rennes for a bargain £7 million, he was the club’s first-choice keeper for 10 of his 11 years there and served as great back-up to Thibaut Courtois during his final campaign in 2014-15. He kept a club-record 227+1 clean sheets (Chelsea officially say one is shared, after he came on as a substitute) and no foreigner has played more than his 494 games for them.

The Czech international was also one of the factors in Chelsea conceding a Premier League-low 15 goals in the 2004-05 season — a record which will be extremely hard for any side to beat. And without Cech’s stops from Ivica Olic and Bastian Schweinsteiger in the Champions League final shootout, Drogba wouldn’t have had the opportunity to steal the headlines against Bayern Munich in the first place.

Others whose main task was primarily to keep opponents at bay deserve recognition too. The pursuit of Ashley Cole perhaps provided one of the club’s biggest stories — the tapping-up scandal when he met manager Jose Mourinho and chief executive Peter Kenyon without his then-club Arsenal’s knowledge at the Royal Park Hotel in January 2005.

It took another 19 months for Chelsea to get their man in what is an oft-mooted method in newspaper transfer gossip columns but rarely ever happens: a player-plus-cash transaction. Arsenal accepted £5 million plus William Gallas, a fine defender himself, for Cole.

The England international continued to make the news for a variety of reasons at Chelsea — yet he was worth the grief. The team has surely never had a finer left-back.

Claude Makelele was so good at his job in front of the back four that the role was named after him. His arrival from Real Madrid for £16.8 million was probably the biggest statement Roman Abramovich made in the summer of 2003 when he took ownership of the club. The former France international’s presence until 2009 gave players such as Lampard the freedom to express themselves.

N’Golo Kante has earned comparisons with Makelele since joining from Leicester City for £32 million in 2016, although he plays further forward and sprints from one half to another. He was named the PFA’s Player of the Year and the FWA’s Footballer of the Year for his performances during Chelsea’s last Premier League title win in 2017 and remains a key figure to this day.

Gary Cahill was a bargain £7 million acquisition from then-second bottom Bolton Wanderers in January 2012, given he completed the major honours set of Champions League, Europa League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup. He went on to captain the club, too.

The impact made by Cesc Fabregas (£30 million from Barcelona) and Diego Costa (£32 million from Atletico Madrid) following their arrivals in 2015 shouldn’t be underestimated, either. Joe Cole is still fondly remembered for his contribution between 2003-10, while despite the odd calamity, David Luiz was a success over two spells (2011-14, 2016-19).

But my thoughts turn back to Lampard. I was there for his first Chelsea press conference in 2001 as he joked about how, unlike at previous club West Ham, bacon sandwiches were off the menu, as well as when he scored the first of his 211 goals for the club — in front of just 20,812 spectators — against Levski Sofia in the first round of the old UEFA Cup. He has come a long way since then.

I watched him drink a well-earned beer as he talked through winning the Champions League at the Allianz Arena and then, a year later, breaking Bobby Tambling’s goalscoring club record with a double at Aston Villa.

His influence on Chelsea was massive, the highlight of all highlights being the iconic brace at Bolton to clinch their first title win for 50 years. The man himself though would undoubtedly prefer to acknowledge the efforts of all the others on this page.

I’ve made my choice then, but what’s yours? Let the voting commence…

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Couple of details that can clear things up. 

- He was always in the loop of all transfers, even personally pushing for Werner and Ziyech to be signed. 

- Chilwell was his choice alone. 

- No ill blood between he and Tomori. He just personally felt Rudiger, Zouma, Silva, and Christensen were all better. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

21 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Umm he also wanted Rudiger out. Dropped also Azpi and Jorginho. All instrumental players in winning CL. Did he answered those? 

Not specifically but he did take everything week by week. 

Another indication he had no idea what he wanted considering one game we were playing magnificent football with Jorginho as the holder and then the next Kante as the sole DM. 

• 1 year later...